5J5A9939 (resized).JPG
5J5A9940 (resized).JPG
5J5A9487 (resized).JPG
5J5A9483 (resized).JPG
5J5A9482 (resized).JPG
5J5A9484 (resized).JPG
5J5A2956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 26.
#951 2 years ago

Plastic Protectors.

As I had mentioned earlier I like the color accents a set of these can provide (if using something other than clear), but not every game has protectors available from various suppliers. I still have a connection or two that may work out in terms of getting some laser cut, but for Seawitch I decided to take matters into my own hands.

For starters I ordered some Acrylic Plexi in Neon Blue. I suppose I could have gone with yellow too, but at least I know the blue should blend with all the other blues on the playfield. The blue is also more subtle due to reflected light wavelengths and what not (or so I've read ).

I traced the original plastics onto the stock sheet.

5J5A7292 (resized).JPG5J5A7292 (resized).JPG

Then I used a table jig saw to cut the shapes -- as best I could. Sometimes leaving a little extra around the edges/curves was to my advantage.

5J5A7293 (resized).JPG5J5A7293 (resized).JPG

A belt sander was used to clean up the edges and smooth out the curves.

5J5A7294 (resized).JPG5J5A7294 (resized).JPG

At this stage I have the shapes made and a drill made easy work of making the mounting holes.

Done? Not quite. A close look at the edges of the plastics reveals a less than pleasant cosmetic effect. If a laser had cut these the edge would be polished and shiny.

5J5A7311 (resized).JPG5J5A7311 (resized).JPG

I tried several techniques to smooth the edges. Ultimately I gave them a sanding down with 80 then 220 grit sandpaper. Then, to duplicate the heat/meltiness that would have resulted from the laser I glazed over the edges with a propane torch.

5J5A7312 (resized).JPG5J5A7312 (resized).JPG

I put the plastic in the vise for the picture, normally I held them by hand. Its just hard to take a picture, hold a plastic, and wield fire all at the same time.

Top plastic is sanded and flamed. Bottom plastic is rough cut. Getting closer to a desired result, just not quite there yet.

5J5A7316 (resized).JPG5J5A7316 (resized).JPG

Success came when I decided to run the edges of the plastics along the compounding wheel.

5J5A7320 (resized).JPG5J5A7320 (resized).JPG

Much smoother. . . with a hint of sparkle!

5J5A7317 (resized).JPG5J5A7317 (resized).JPG

Holding the protector under a plastic in the light gives an idea of what type of effect we may see once they are installed. Still the hint of a saw mark or two (or more), but not bad.

5J5A7323 (resized).JPG5J5A7323 (resized).JPG

The complete set ready for installation.

5J5A7321 (resized).JPG5J5A7321 (resized).JPG

Was it worth the couple hours invested? I suppose we will see once they are installed and the game is together. I will say that I usually set my standards high and at the end was rather pleased for how things turned out. At least I'm pleased with how they look sitting on the kitchen table anyway.

#952 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Plastic Protectors.
As I had mentioned earlier I like the color accents a set of these can provide (if using something other than clear), but not every game has protectors available from various suppliers. I still have a connection or two that may work out in terms of getting some laser cut, but for Seawitch I decided to take matters into my own hands.
For starters I ordered some Acrylic Plexi in Neon Blue. I suppose I could have gone with yellow too, but at least I know the blue should blend with all the other blues on the playfield. The blue is also more subtle due to reflected light wavelengths and what not (or so I've read ).
[quoted image]
Then I used a table jig saw to cut the shapes -- as best I could. Sometimes leaving a little extra around the edges/curves was to my advantage.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
At this stage I have the shapes made and a drill made easy work of making the mounting holes.
Done? Not quite. A close look at the edges of the plastics reveals a less than pleasant cosmetic effect. If a laser had cut these the edge would be polished and shiny.
[quoted image]
I tried several techniques to smooth the edges. Ultimately I gave them a sanding down with 80 then 220 grit sandpaper. Then, to duplicate the heat/meltiness that would have resulted from the laser I glazed over the edges with a propane torch.
[quoted image]
I put the plastic in the vise for the picture, normally I held them by hand. Its just hard to take a picture, hold a plastic, and wield fire all at the same time.
Top plastic is sanded and flamed. Bottom plastic is rough cut. Getting closer to a desired result, just not quite there yet.
[quoted image]
Success came when I decided to run the edges of the plastics along the compounding wheel.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Holding the protector under a plastic in the light gives an idea of what type of effect we may see once they are installed. Still the hint of a saw mark or two (or more), but not bad.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Was it worth the couple hours invested? I suppose we will see once they are installed and the game is together. I will say that I usually set my standards high and at the end was rather pleased for how things turned out. At least I'm pleased with how they look sitting on the kitchen table anyway.

Those edges look great man. Nice process for making and cleaning them up!

#953 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Those edges look great man. Nice process for making and cleaning them up!

Maybe Xenon needs a set. I have some extra blue stock. . .

#954 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Maybe Xenon needs a set. I have some extra blue stock. . .

Oh man, I didn’t even think of that!

#955 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Plastic Protectors.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have to use longer post screws to accommodate the thickness of the added protectors?

#956 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Do you have to use longer post screws to accommodate the thickness of the added protectors?

Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No. Usually there is enough thread on standard post studs to allow for the protector, plastic, then a threaded nickel acorn nut to secure everything. Resurfacing a Fathom Pic for reference.

5J5A2763 (resized).JPG5J5A2763 (resized).JPG

There may be a time when a longer screw / post thread height may be necessary -- I suppose we will find out if that is something we will need to deal with soon on Seawitch!

#957 2 years ago

Dirty Coils getting a bath today.

5J5A7335 (resized).JPG5J5A7335 (resized).JPG

I had thoughts of reusing the flipper coils as it looked like they had recently been replaced, but the coil sleeves were rather tight on two of them and one is still stuck in a third. Not going to be setting any records for "Fewest Parts Orders Placed on a Rebuild" with this one.

#958 2 years ago

just beautiful! do you replate any of the worn metal parts?

#959 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

just beautiful! do you replate any of the worn metal parts?

Thank You!

I have not yet graduated up to that level (zinc/chrome plating). If something is really corroded or rusted I'll blast and paint, otherwise I use the parts tumbler (or just by hand for the bigger stuff). After tumbling I also give parts a hand polish/finish with some White Diamond Metal Polish (I've been known to dump some in the tumbler media as well).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

A link to their (I think) website:

https://whitediamondamerica.com/products/metal-polish-and-sealant

It is advertised as having a sealant to protect the metal. . . so far most of my parts are still looking good. I certainly hope they stay that way.

#960 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

#961 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Thanks RB!
For what its worth, even when you find out what you need to order. . . and/or find what you have so you don't need to order. . . you'll still have to place an order for the things you didn't know you needed or didn't know you didn't have.

Haha yup. Shipping is more expensive now too. Gotta load up that cart before submitting. Just getting started organzing right now.

#962 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Plastic Protectors.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Fantastic!

#963 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Haha yup. Shipping is more expensive now too.

Marcos is offering free domestic shipping (over $99) thru 05/01/21

Yesterday I busted out the wire snips and started cutting. . . before long I had the playfield wiring harness free and in a blueberry box.

5J5A7339 (resized).JPG5J5A7339 (resized).JPG

Before cutting each lamp socket wire I wrote the wire color next to each lamp on the playfield. I'll hang the old playfield on the wall in front of me for a reference when the time comes to reconnect everything.

5J5A7340 (resized).JPG5J5A7340 (resized).JPG

A quick reminder of why a playfield swap is appropriate.

5J5A7341 (resized).JPG5J5A7341 (resized).JPG

I'll give the wire harness a good cleaning and then my next step will be to secure the new wood rails to the new playfield. I will probably want to attach the original rails to the original playfield again to know proper placement as I don't know if the new playfield has the same alignment of the mounting holes.

#964 2 years ago

I thought it was about time I bring out the new Greatwich playfield from storage.

Here is a side by side of the original and its replacement.

5J5A7348 (resized).JPG5J5A7348 (resized).JPG

Right off you will notice the new playfield has more of a purple tone to it. I hear John is working on some potential color corrections in his playfield thread, but whatever. I can live with purple -- it looks better than bare wood.

The arrow inserts at the base of each side of the arc are white in my new playfield, the originals are yellow. This was an early production piece that John sold at a discount. In this case my cheapness resulted in off color inserts. John has since corrected this in all his current playfields.

You may also notice I have not posted about clear coating this new playfield. Perhaps it was a mistake, but it was mostly my intention to leave it without a heavy coat of clear. As you may have read in the past I'm not afraid to spray clear on my own playfields but this time I wanted to experience the sounds and feel of the ball rolling on more of a wood surface -- much like it would have done when the game was new. I love the way a newly cleared playfield looks and it definitely adds a smooth/fast element to the way a game plays. . . but sometimes it is nice to experience a game in more of its original state and that is what I am in pursuit of here. A couple coats of carnauba wax and I'm calling it good.

Like I said, perhaps that was a mistake. We will have to play to find out!

So far so good, but I do have a few concerns that I will address in my next post.

#965 2 years ago

A couple concerns.

I've handled enough playfields in my day to have a general feel of proportions/thickness. The new playfield felt just a bit off to me so sure enough when I compared it to the original the replacement appears to be thinner.

5J5A7349 (resized).JPG5J5A7349 (resized).JPG

This is probably better seen when holding up a flipper plate with the screw normally used to hold it to the playfield. On the original it looks like there is about a two ply buffer between the tip of the screw and the playfield surface.

5J5A7351 (resized).JPG5J5A7351 (resized).JPG

On the replacement playfield the same test. Barely a ply separates the tip of the screw and playfield surface.

5J5A7352 (resized).JPG5J5A7352 (resized).JPG

There may not be an issue with using the original hardware. . . but it will be close. I'm planning on starting with pieces around the periphery to see what happens -- I will not be happy if screw tips start showing thru the new playfield surface.

A second area of note is the pop bumper openings. The new playfield openings are a bit larger than the originals. This picture shows the new playfield in front of the original -- you can see the smaller diameter bumper opening behind the larger one.

5J5A7354 (resized).JPG5J5A7354 (resized).JPG

The ball should still hit the bumper skirt ok in this situation, but it does show a bit more of the under skirt bits. Good thing those areas had a good cleaning!

5J5A7355 (resized).JPG5J5A7355 (resized).JPG

The thinner playfield will also result in certain things (like the pop bumpers, drop targets, standups, etc.) to sit higher above the surface. While I don't think that will be an issue for the drop targets I do think the pop bumper skirts look a bit out of sorts -- I may have to install a spacer to drop them down to the correct height.

5J5A7356 (resized).JPG5J5A7356 (resized).JPG

Such is life when using aftermarket parts. Some of this stuff is to be expected. . . I just hope I do not have to use all new (shorter) securing hardware to attach everything to the underside.

More analysis to come -- things are just getting started!

#966 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

A couple concerns.
I've handled enough playfields in my day to have a general feel of proportions/thickness. The new playfield felt just a bit off to me so sure enough when I compared it to the original the replacement appears to be thinner.
[quoted image]
This is probably better seen when holding up a flipper plate with the screw normally used to hold it to the playfield. On the original it looks like there is about a two ply buffer between the tip of the screw and the playfield surface.
[quoted image]
On the replacement playfield the same test. Barely a ply separates the tip of the screw and playfield surface.
[quoted image]
There may not be an issue with using the original hardware. . . but it will be close. I'm planning on starting with pieces around the periphery to see what happens -- I will not be happy if screw tips start showing thru the new playfield surface.
A second area of note is the pop bumper openings. The new playfield openings are a bit larger than the originals. This picture shows the new playfield in front of the original -- you can see the smaller diameter bumper opening behind the larger one.
[quoted image]
The ball should still hit the bumper skirt ok in this situation, but it does show a bit more of the under skirt bits. Good thing those areas had a good cleaning!
[quoted image]
The thinner playfield will also result in certain things (like the pop bumpers, drop targets, standups, etc.) to sit higher above the surface. While I don't think that will be an issue for the drop targets I do think the pop bumper skirts look a bit out of sorts -- I may have to install a spacer to drop them down to the correct height.
[quoted image]
Such is life when using aftermarket parts. Some of this stuff is to be expected. . . I just hope I do not have to use all new (shorter) securing hardware to attach everything to the underside.
More analysis to come -- things are just getting started!

Wow. I have the exact same pf. I think mine is number 8. I'd have to check. I too bought it at a discount but the reason for the discount was based in some wood burn in one if the pop openings. I didn't really care and 500 bucks was a good deal compare to nearly twice that for other brands...that don't make that playfield. I was going to make a dhead comment that included the phrase "7 long years"... but that doesn't really help anyone.

#967 2 years ago

You may want to add a washer between the mechs and the pf, especially for the pops so they are at the right level. A #6 or #8 washer will give you about 0.05” (a little less than a 1/16”).

The cost of new hardware that is 1/8” shorter from a place like bolt depot would be pretty reasonable and a safer option but wouldn’t look original. Not poking thru the pf...priceless.

The good news is there are many more plys to the repro pf so it is stronger than the original wood and should hold a shorter screw.

#968 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I may have to install a spacer to drop them down to the correct height.

Quoted from emsrph:

You may want to add a washer between the mechs and the pf, especially for the pops so they are at the right level. A #6 or #8 washer will give you about 0.05” (a little less than a 1/16”).

Yes I agree, I would add the washers.

#969 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I may have to install a spacer to drop them down to the correct height.

Quoted from emsrph:

You may want to add a washer between the mechs and the pf, especially for the pops

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Yes I agree, I would add the washers.

I agree with all of us.

I busted out the calipers and measured a 0.07 inch difference between the two playfields. I searched my washer bin and found some of the proper size that when paired up measure 0.08 inch. That will probably be the route I take. . . if I can keep the washers from falling out!

Today was simple day so far. Wax on, Wax off. Three coats worth, with several games of JM and SOF between each coat.

KIMG1014 (resized).JPGKIMG1014 (resized).JPG

#970 2 years ago

John's playfield has the backside painted gray as the originals did. Gray is ok I suppose, but of course I like to liven things up a bit.

I really would have preferred the look of natural wood with a coating of polyurethane, much like I had done on Earthshaker. Thinking the playfield is already thin enough as it is I chose not to sand it and instead gave it a coat of blue.

5J5A7358 (resized).JPG5J5A7358 (resized).JPG

You would not know it from the picture, but the under playfield blue is the same as the darker blue on the cabinet. When the playfield is lifted it all comes together.

A better picture showing the darker blue.

5J5A7362 (resized).JPG5J5A7362 (resized).JPG

I chose the darker blue vs. the lighter as I did not want the inside of the cabinet to be all "matchy-matchy," which is how Mrs. TractorDoc describes my fashion sense as I tend to wear similar color attire.

#971 2 years ago

Another achievement today was attaching the first pieces to the new playfield: A beautiful new set of home made wood rails.

5J5A7360 (resized).JPG5J5A7360 (resized).JPG

The trickiest one was the shorter inner shooter lane guide, but a couple of clamps helped hold it in place while I drilled pilot holes from underneath. I've chosen not to drill holes in the top of the new rails yet where the plastics and other such pieces attach. Rather than make the plastics fit/line up with the holes, I'll make holes that fit with where I want the plastics.

Giving the new playfield a test fit in its future home.

5J5A7364 (resized).JPG5J5A7364 (resized).JPG

Looking good I think!

Next up will be adding new lamp sockets to the underside. I hope I ordered the correct ones!

#972 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

under playfield blue is the same as the darker blue on the cabinet. When the playfield is lifted it all comes together

What a nice touch - well done!

#973 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

John's playfield has the backside painted gray as the originals did. Gray is ok I suppose, but of course I like to liven things up a bit.
I really would have preferred the look of natural wood with a coating of polyurethane, much like I had done on Earthshaker. Thinking the playfield is already thin enough as it is I chose not to sand it and instead gave it a coat of blue.
[quoted image]
You would not know it from the picture, but the under playfield blue is the same as the darker blue on the cabinet. When the playfield is lifted it all comes together.
A better picture showing the darker blue.
[quoted image]
I chose the darker blue vs. the lighter as I did not want the inside of the cabinet to be all "matchy-matchy," which is how Mrs. TractorDoc describes my fashion sense as I tend to wear similar color attire.

Hopefully you won't have too many opportunities to enjoy your color matching talent.

#974 2 years ago

A quick cell phone picture before leaving for work this morning.

All set up and ready for lamp socket installation.

KIMG1025 (resized).JPGKIMG1025 (resized).JPG

#975 2 years ago

I've often said that my best idea is somebody else's -- and for this post that may be the case.

I was reading thru Mudflaps 's Fathom Playfield Swap thread and saw he used these little solder lugs to connect the common wire for the lamps sockets (vs. soldering directly to the lamp socket itself). It should make soldering the wire much easier so I have to give him credit. . . although technically he said he stole the idea from Chris at HEP.

5J5A7392 (resized).JPG5J5A7392 (resized).JPG

All new sockets in neat little rows.

5J5A7393 (resized).JPG5J5A7393 (resized).JPG

All sockets (I think) installed as of last night. Next up will be the common wire(s) between them, then we can start adding some playfield mechs!

5J5A7394 (resized).JPG5J5A7394 (resized).JPG

#976 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I've often said that my best idea is somebody else's -- and for this post that may be the case.
I was reading thru Mudflaps 's Fathom Playfield Swap thread and saw he used these little solder lugs to connect the common wire for the lamps sockets (vs. soldering directly to the lamp socket itself). It should make soldering the wire much easier so I have to give him credit. . . although technically he said he stole the idea from Chris at HEP.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
All sockets (I think) installed as of last night. Next up will be the common wire(s) between them, then we can start adding some playfield mechs!
[quoted image]

awesome advice. i will definitely get these. i am about to dig in to SW in the next week. She worked pretty well when i put her in storage but the first step is to fire her up and get her fine tuned before i start the tear down. I am looking forward to your take on the orbit/loop shot and how to get it aligned for optimum performance.

RB

#977 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Did that help enough to mitigate the risk of punching through the playfield or did you end up using shorter screws?

#978 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Did that help enough to mitigate the risk of punching through the playfield or did you end up using shorter screws?

The screws for the lamp sockets were short enough to begin with so as not to be a problem. The solder lug is a nice little insurance space for those areas though.

It is the Drop Target, Pop Bumper, Flipper Bracket, (and probably a couple others) mounting screws that are a bit longer. I hope to have an update on those soon.

#979 2 years ago

Common wires all in place and soldered to the lugs/sockets.

It looks like a simple accomplishment, but took a couple hours to finish -- maybe with a game or two of pinball here and there.

5J5A7395 (resized).JPG5J5A7395 (resized).JPG

#980 2 years ago

Strippin' and Crimpin' over the lunch hour.

5J5A7399 (resized).JPG5J5A7399 (resized).JPG

That is the playfield harness. It has been washed and once the re-pinning is done I'll work on replacing pop bumper switch spoons and the white standup targets.

#981 2 years ago

Back at home I was able to install the pop bumper units this evening.

5J5A7412 (resized).JPG5J5A7412 (resized).JPG

Opposite View.

5J5A7413 (resized).JPG5J5A7413 (resized).JPG

A closer look shows how the washers between the playfield and bumper plate compensate for the difference in playfield thicknesses.

5J5A7414 (resized).JPG5J5A7414 (resized).JPG

#982 2 years ago

Topside view.

5J5A7415 (resized).JPG5J5A7415 (resized).JPG

An attempt to see how the ball will encounter the skirt and ring. I wonder with the wider openings if I will have any issues with the ball being too close to the edge -- if some trial and error is needed I can always remove one of the washers from under the bumper plate to raise the skirt up a tad higher.

I also have a set of mylar rings waiting to be installed around the base of each bumper.

5J5A7416 (resized).JPG5J5A7416 (resized).JPG

I want to get the drop target units installed soon, but first I need to address the carriage bolt/stud post situation that Stern originally used on these games. The plan is to use T-nuts with some longer 6-32 threaded screws, but I need to find some screws long enough for the job. Tomorrow may involve a trip to the hardware store.

#983 2 years ago

...why is one of the pop bumpers installed backwards?

#984 2 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

...why is one of the pop bumpers installed backwards?

Because if it was installed the other way the spoon switch would probably be too close to the drop target unit.

Here is a pic before disassembly to show I'm not making things up as I go.

5J5A7244 (resized).JPG5J5A7244 (resized).JPG

Backwards or forwards all look the same on the upper playfield. . . and I guess that is what counts!

#985 2 years ago

A few posts up I mentioned replacing the Classic Stern carriage bolt style screws that were used as stud posts.

I plan to replace them with 6-32 machine screws and a T-nut. Old style carriage bolt on upper left, new replacement on bottom right.

5J5A7422 (resized).JPG5J5A7422 (resized).JPG

While the carriage bolts get the job done I've had issues with them wallowing out the hole in the playfield -- this can make it rather difficult to remove the nut/faceted post on the playfield upper surface. I've also had issues with the nuts stripping the threads just above the faceted posts, but this could potentially happen with the new screws too.

Step one is to identify the holes where these screws were used, I'll use two just behind the center drop target bank for this example.

5J5A7424 (resized).JPG5J5A7424 (resized).JPG

First I drilled the hole for a snug fit for just the machine screw, I think 1/8" was the size. Next I used a larger diameter drill bit on the underside to create the larger opening needed for the T-nut, but only drilled the larger hole deep enough to seat the T-nut.

5J5A7425 (resized).JPG5J5A7425 (resized).JPG

Then I tapped two T-nuts in place.

5J5A7426 (resized).JPG5J5A7426 (resized).JPG

Then it is as simple as threading in the new machine screw. All the way in at the left, just getting started on the right.

5J5A7427 (resized).JPG5J5A7427 (resized).JPG

Topside pics in the next post.

#986 2 years ago

On the topside we now have two rather long machine screws rising from the playfield.

5J5A7428 (resized).JPG5J5A7428 (resized).JPG

The original carriage bolts were around two inches long, but by the time I added the T-nut I went with a two and a half inch long machine screw to make sure I had enough height.

Add a couple posts, washers/nuts to secure them, and some plastics:

5J5A7430 (resized).JPG5J5A7430 (resized).JPG

I always cap my plastics with plated acorn nuts. I like the shiny metal look. It is obvious the machine screws are too long, but by putting the acorn nuts on I can see how much I need to trim the screw down for size.

5J5A7431 (resized).JPG5J5A7431 (resized).JPG

Trimmed screw on the left, screw needing trimmed on the right. Screws can be trimmed with cutters, a hacksaw, or even just by buzzing them down on the grinding wheel if metal dust is your thing. I always spin a nut on before trimming as it helps straighten the threads out on the end when you spin it back off.

5J5A7432 (resized).JPG5J5A7432 (resized).JPG

Now I have to go back and repeat the process about a dozen or more times. I'll also need to pay attention to post heights. I seem to remember some areas had taller posts and other areas with these studs had shorter posts. . . good thing I wrote all this down somewhere.

#987 2 years ago

I moved forward with installation of the remaining T-nuts on the underside of the playfield. I found one hole on my original playfield where the carriage style bolt lives but in John's playfield the hole looks more like it is meant for a threaded post.

The hole in question:

5J5A7434 (resized).JPG5J5A7434 (resized).JPG

Easy fix, I used the 1/8" drill bit to make it bigger.

5J5A7435 (resized).JPG5J5A7435 (resized).JPG

#988 2 years ago

Today I worked on mounting the first drop target unit.

When it comes to the flipper base plates, pop bumper units, and drop target mechs I never go just by the dimpled/pre-placed holes on the playfield. They can be a good reference, but more often than not I've found there can be variability game to game which might lead to offset placement of parts when viewed from above.

For the first bank, I tried seeing what using the guide holes would look like. The bank definitely looks off center -- this is the main one that faces the player and crooked drop targets would always be the first thing I noticed when I walked up to this game if left like this.

5J5A7436 (resized).JPG5J5A7436 (resized).JPG

To fix this I placed the target bank on the work table and moved the playfield around above it until I was happy with the targets being in a more centered, even position.

5J5A7418 (resized).JPG5J5A7418 (resized).JPG

In this position I took a black marker and marked the four mounting holes from below. You can see my black dots next to the pre-drilled guide holes.

5J5A7437 (resized).JPG5J5A7437 (resized).JPG

I drilled out two opposite corners to give the bank a test fit (I don't drill all four corners in case I somehow messed up my markings). Before mounting the bank I found a spacer washer that I was comfortable with to keep the mounting screws away from the painted surface.

5J5A7421 (resized).JPG5J5A7421 (resized).JPG

On the topside with the targets up. Much more pleasing to my eyes.

5J5A7419 (resized).JPG5J5A7419 (resized).JPG

Drilled the remaining to mount holes and secured the target bank in place. I'll need to double check the orientation of the coil lugs, but I wanted the coil in for the picture. I also added a bit of insulation between the GI lamp socket and back of the target bank as the two sit very close to each other.

5J5A7438 (resized).JPG5J5A7438 (resized).JPG

Two more target banks to go!

#989 2 years ago

The Seawitch upper flippers were originally designed to use a ceramic resistor to lower flipper power (and potentially break less drop targets I suspect).

A look back at my original pictures finds that the resistor is there for both upper flippers, but in the case of one side it has been left unused when the new coils were put in.

5J5A7301 (resized).JPG5J5A7301 (resized).JPG

On the other side. . . not sure what the person before me was trying to achieve as wires are soldered to the resistor unit but essentially bypass it. Poor picture taking skills on my part for this one.

5J5A7302 (resized).JPG5J5A7302 (resized).JPG

It would be possible to widen/adjust switch gap on the lower flipper units (to reduce upper flipper power) and bypass the resistors all together, but I chose to utilize them in an attempt to see how this game was designed to play. That is if I have them wired in correctly.

5J5A7440 (resized).JPG5J5A7440 (resized).JPG

My original resistors look like they are 10 Watt, but I read in the Seawitch thread (and saw pictures) that a 5 Watt, 1 Ohm resistor was used.

#990 2 years ago

Some more pics from this weekends process.

All drop target banks are in place as well as the upper flipper units and slingshots.

5J5A7439 (resized).JPG5J5A7439 (resized).JPG 5J5A7443 (resized).JPG5J5A7443 (resized).JPG

Next should be the lower flippers, then I can think about dropping the wire harness in.

Before clicking the light off for the night I wanted to see how our topside looked with all the target banks up.

5J5A7447 (resized).JPG5J5A7447 (resized).JPG

Looks good as far as I'm concerned. I am looking forward to seeing how this game plays with everything refreshed. While I enjoyed playing in its previous state it was not necessary a memorable experience -- I think that may change when things are tight and crisp. Only time will tell.

#991 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Some more pics from this weekends process.
All drop target banks are in place as well as the upper flipper units and slingshots.
[quoted image] [quoted image]
Next should be the lower flippers, then I can think about dropping the wire harness in.
Before clicking the light off for the night I wanted to see how our topside looked with all the target banks up.
[quoted image]
Looks good as far as I'm concerned. I am looking forward to seeing how this game plays with everything refreshed. While I enjoyed playing in its previous state it was not necessary a memorable experience -- I think that may change when things are tight and crisp. Only time will tell.

Looks great man. Those pops are starting to emerge as a serious focal point when I look at this. Like you, I like to add some originality and flair. I might have to copy that idea though. Can't visualize anything that would look better aside from possibly clear if that's even an option.

#992 2 years ago

That's interesting with the resistor on the flippers. I would have been tempted to at least temporarily wire those up with a toggle switch so it would be easy to flip back and forth with and without the resistor in line. Then you could do some testing to see what the difference might be.

Quoted from rcbrown316:

Looks great man. Those pops are starting to emerge as a serious focal point when I look at this. Like you, I like to add some originality and flair. I might have to copy that idea though. Can't visualize anything that would look better aside from possibly clear if that's even an option.

I agree. I haven't seen a Seawitch in a while (I have to get over to the Museum of Pinball soon they have one there) and I haven't been able to find a very decent picture of how the pops look when stock. But these definitely look better than what I can see from the pics. The yellow color is a nice complementary accent to the lady's hair.

This is going to be so awesome when its done.

#993 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:The Seawitch upper flippers were originally designed to use a ceramic resistor to lower flipper power (and potentially break less drop targets I suspect).
A look back at my original pictures finds that the resistor is there for both upper flippers, but in the case of one side it has been left unused when the new coils were put in.
[quoted image]
On the other side. . . not sure what the person before me was trying to achieve as wires are soldered to the resistor unit but essentially bypass it. Poor picture taking skills on my part for this one.
[quoted image]
It would be possible to widen/adjust switch gap on the lower flipper units (to reduce upper flipper power) and bypass the resistors all together, but I chose to utilize them in an attempt to see how this game was designed to play. That is if I have them wired in correctly.
[quoted image]
My original resistors look like they are 10 Watt, but I read in the Seawitch thread (and saw pictures) that a 5 Watt, 1 Ohm resistor was used.

It is funny. My Seawitch is missing the resistors also. I can see where they used to be on the playfield. Might have to put them back in.

16207680746488216455225169887150 (resized).jpg16207680746488216455225169887150 (resized).jpg

#994 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Thanks! I agree that I like the translucent yellow bodies and skirts. I'm not sure how much I like the original caps on them from a color matching standpoint (the caps vs. the playfield, not the bodies/skirts), but I don't plan on mixing that up just yet. If you like the finished look by all means do the same to yours!

Quoted from xsvtoys:

I haven't been able to find a very decent picture of how the pops look when stock.

Originals have the blue caps with yellow skulls/dashes around the edge, white bumper bodies, and solid yellow skirts. I tried several combinations and found the translucent yellow to be the most pleasing.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is going to be so awesome when its done.

Thanks! I hope so too.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

It is funny. My Seawitch is missing the resistors also. I can see where they used to be on the playfield. Might have to put them back in.

If I can get my act together I'll try to get this one up and playing soon to let you know it its worth it.

#995 2 years ago

Don't adjust the lower Eos that will just delay the upper. Widen the upper Eos to reduce power.

The resistors will get really hot I remove them for this reason.

#996 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Don't adjust the lower Eos that will just delay the upper. Widen the upper Eos to reduce power.

The resistors will get really hot I remove them for this reason.

Correct on both -- Thanks for the switch correction. Widen upper flipper switch gap to reduce upper flipper power.

Yes, the resistors will get hot and potentially scorch the blue paint. I tried installing them with a little extra leg so they will sit away from the playfield to help out with that. I'd like to try and use them at first; if I am not happy with how things are working I can always bypass or eliminate them.

Last night I worked on getting the lower flipper units and all remaining loose parts secured to the playfield underside.

5J5A7448 (resized).JPG5J5A7448 (resized).JPG

A crooked overview of everything in its place.

5J5A7452 (resized).JPG5J5A7452 (resized).JPG

Once I install the new faces for the star standup targets the wiring harness will be ready to drop in.

#997 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Once I install the new faces for the star standup targets the wiring harness will be ready to drop in.

Getting closer.

When similar components need cleaned I'll usually leave one original together while I take the others completely apart so as to have a reference for putting the parts back together.

Can you tell which target is cleaned/new and which is original?

5J5A7453 (resized).JPG5J5A7453 (resized).JPG
#998 2 years ago

The wiring harness has been dropped in place and soldering of some of the GI sockets has begun.

5J5A7524 (resized).JPG5J5A7524 (resized).JPG

There was not a lot of extra wire/room for some of the lamp sockets on the upper part of the playfield. Most of the sockets have two wires to solder to each lamp tab -- a bit of a challenge for the staple-in type sockets. One or two even had three wires to solder to each tab. I did my best to hold the wires in place with the tip of the soldering iron, added solder, then held the tip of a small flat blade screwdriver down on the wire as I removed the iron (to keep the wires from pulling away).

5J5A7523 (resized).JPG5J5A7523 (resized).JPG

It should get easier from here, most everything else has good exposure. I should also start adding bulbs to my lamp sockets. Going with incandescent bulbs on the bottom of this one.

#999 2 years ago

Its been a busy week outside the world of pinball.

I have managed to get the upper half of the playfield wired up and soldered in.

Of note, I made sure to put spacers under the pop bumper spoon switch mounts to make sure they stayed at the same level as on the original playfield/in relation to the new skirt height.

KIMG1069 (resized).JPGKIMG1069 (resized).JPG

#1000 2 years ago

If you're worried about the sand resistors getting too hot, get yourself some aluminum bodied ones with the screw holes and heat sink them.

I did it to my Sega G08 and it worked out well and looks clean.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 1,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.