5J5A9939 (resized).JPG
5J5A9940 (resized).JPG
5J5A9487 (resized).JPG
5J5A9483 (resized).JPG
5J5A9482 (resized).JPG
5J5A9484 (resized).JPG
5J5A2956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 26.
#851 3 years ago

With Earthshaker cleared from the workbench I saw the opportunity to tear into my next project. . . sort of. This will not be a all-in, full "chapter" in my thread -- more like a simple shop job with a couple posts of before and after. The next big project will come after this one!

A number of months back I had the opportunity to pickup a wish list game within a couple hours drive. I only had a couple fuzzy pictures and what the owner knew of the game (not much) to go on, but the price was reasonable so I took a chance and brought home this Stargate.

KIMG0781 (resized).JPGKIMG0781 (resized).JPG

The previous owner had kept it in his garage for a number of years but the game booted up and played -- which is more than I can say for some games I've brought home. For the record I had to remove the upper cabinet to fit the game in a Jeep Liberty (my winter pin hauler).

Of course when I bought it home I had to look over some of the fine details. I pulled the glass and while a bit dusty the underside of the playfield did not show obvious signs of damage or corrosion.

5J5A6328 (resized).JPG5J5A6328 (resized).JPG

Inspection of the upper playfield found components to be dusty and dirty. The lighting was dim and rubbers were a bit stiff (the upper flipper had nothing on it until I installed a temporary ring). Anubis had lost his ears at some point.

5J5A6327 (resized).JPG5J5A6327 (resized).JPG

I replaced the dim GI with natural whites from Comet. I also replaced the insert bulbs with the same. This was a good improvement. . . except that it highlighted more of the dust and dirt.

5J5A6326 (resized).JPG5J5A6326 (resized).JPG 5J5A6325 (resized).JPG5J5A6325 (resized).JPG

I put quite a few plays on the game in this state. . . until I was tired of reading the message in the dust under the pyramid.

5J5A6330 (resized).JPG5J5A6330 (resized).JPG

With Earthshaker back in its box I decided to give Stargate a tune up. . . and the workbench soon started to fill back up!

#852 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

With Earthshaker cleared from the workbench I saw the opportunity to tear into my next project. . . sort of. This will not be a all-in, full "chapter" in my thread -- more like a simple shop job with a couple posts of before and after. The next big project will come after this one!
A number of months back I had the opportunity to pickup a wish list game within a couple hours drive. I only had a couple fuzzy pictures and what the owner knew of the game (not much) to go on, but the price was reasonable so I took a chance and brought home this Stargate.
[quoted image]
The previous owner had kept it in his garage for a number of years but the game booted up and played -- which is more than I can say for some games I've brought home. For the record I had to remove the upper cabinet to fit the game in a Jeep Liberty (my winter pin hauler).
Of course when I bought it home I had to look over some of the fine details. I pulled the glass and while a bit dusty the underside of the playfield did not show obvious signs of damage or corrosion.
[quoted image]
Inspection of the upper playfield found components to be dusty and dirty. The lighting was dim and rubbers were a bit stiff (the upper flipper had nothing on it until I installed a temporary ring). Anubis had lost his ears at some point.
[quoted image]
I replaced the dim GI with natural whites from Comet. I also replaced the insert bulbs with the same. This was a good improvement. . . except that it highlighted more of the dust and dirt.
[quoted image] [quoted image]
I put quite a few plays on the game in this state. . . until I was tired of reading the message in the dust under the pyramid.
[quoted image]
With Earthshaker back in its box I decided to give Stargate a tune up. . . and the workbench soon started to fill back up!

The cable management of this Gottlieb looks 10x better compared to Bally/Williams games...

#853 3 years ago

Job well done on the EarthShaker, those pictures are pinball book worthy!!

#854 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Job well done on the EarthShaker, those pictures are pinball book worthy!!

Thanks for that! Not sure about a book, but if I complete enough games perhaps a calendar.

Quoted from Davi:

The cable management of this Gottlieb looks 10x better compared to Bally/Williams games...

Short of minor tweaking on a Waterworld I owned I don't have much experience with Gottlieb, but I do like how they've gone about the workings of this game at least. It does seem to be much more service friendly and I really like how the underside of the playfield has all the mechs, switches, etc. labeled. The pop bumpers and drop target mechs have been easy to access and rebuild. One thing I don't like so much are the acorn speed nuts that secure most plastics to stud posts. Instead of simply removing the nut the entire post tends to come out with it.

I was not telling a fib. . . the workbench has filled back up.

5J5A6339 (resized).JPG5J5A6339 (resized).JPG

Several shop out pictures of the playfield less most pieces. I've removed enough to create access for cleaning, rubber/post changes, bulb changes, etc.

5J5A6336 (resized).JPG5J5A6336 (resized).JPG 5J5A6337 (resized).JPG5J5A6337 (resized).JPG 5J5A6338 (resized).JPG5J5A6338 (resized).JPG

I had visions of putting everything back together and flipping a few games later today but when I pulled the flipper mechs for a rebuild I found the coils had swollen to the point of not allowing removal of the sleeves. I usually replace the coils but thought I could get away with just the rebuild kit this time. Time to start searching PBR's site for anything else I might need.

#855 3 years ago

Top job on Earthshaker!
One of my faves and you turned it into a beauty!

#856 3 years ago
Quoted from Quint:

Top job on Earthshaker!

Thanks Quint !

I know I could have done more with the cabinet (and I still may ) but I too am very happy with how it turned out. I always thought my Whirlwind looked respectable before, but now that I have this Earthshaker to compare it to I cannot help but think it looks a bit tatty. I need to finish up a couple other games before I start WW's transformation though.

Waiting for a couple of flipper coils from PBR before officially starting the next project. . . . . . I wonder Witch one it will be? You'll just have to wait and Sea!

#857 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I wonder Witch one it will be? You'll just have to wait and Sea!

I see what you did there

Looking forward to seaing witch pin is next!

#858 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Thanks Quint !
I know I could have done more with the cabinet (and I still may ) but I too am very happy with how it turned out. I always thought my Whirlwind looked respectable before, but now that I have this Earthshaker to compare it to I cannot help but think it looks a bit tatty. I need to finish up a couple other games before I start WW's transformation though.
Waiting for a couple of flipper coils from PBR before officially starting the next project. . . . . . I wonder Witch one it will be? You'll just have to wait and Sea!

Oh my god- awesome. You've got some great tastes in pins Doc

1 week later
#859 3 years ago

Stargate is criminally underrated on here, and I believe if it were made by someone other than gottlieb, it would be a top 40 or higher pin.

#860 3 years ago

I don't know where/how it falls in the Pinside rating but I'd agree Stargate is an enjoyable pin.

I've always been fascinated with Ancient Egypt so it is a good theme for me. I'll even admit to finding the movie and watching it (again) and I'm currently starting to catch an episode of the television series -- SG1 -- now and again as a follow up.

Happily the new coils arrived and I've been able to get the new parts installed. I like how the switches in the PBR kit come pre-soldered to the capacitors.

5J5A6368 (resized).JPG5J5A6368 (resized).JPG

A close up view of the original fiber link suggests a rebuild is a good idea.

5J5A6369 (resized).JPG5J5A6369 (resized).JPG

The only issue I experienced was probably due to reusing my old flipper shafts/shanks. When I would tighten the allen head screws they would "find" the old recess worn into the shaft previously. You can see the circular depression from the screw.

5J5A6370 (resized).JPG5J5A6370 (resized).JPG

The flippers moved freely when the screws were hand tightened but when followed up with the wrench the flipper would snug up to the playfield and had resistance to movement. I'm thinking the new arm cranks are a bit thicker than the original parts and the screw opening differed in height from the originals.

5J5A6371 (resized).JPG5J5A6371 (resized).JPG

To try and fix this I marked on the shaft the position I wanted the flipper to sit, then I took a square file and created a wider flat area for the set screw to firm up against. It seems I took this picture before using the file to make the flat spot.

5J5A6372 (resized).JPG5J5A6372 (resized).JPG

That made a big difference and I was able to get all three flipper mechs rebuilt, installed, and moving freely. A picture of the lower set from under the playfield.

5J5A6373 (resized).JPG5J5A6373 (resized).JPG

I was able to get a few games in this evening. Still a few adjustments to make after having most of the parts off the playfield, but it should not be long before the glass goes back on!

#861 3 years ago

Stargate Shop Job Accomplished!

My original golden pyramid had lost some of its luster so before reinstalling it I gave it a new golden metallic coating. It was also a bit beaten up at the bottom due to a broken hinge mount and then hitting the post screws above the plastic. I flattened things out as best I could.

5J5A6376 (resized).JPG5J5A6376 (resized).JPG

I also had some new decals/lettering made (so we know what game we are playing ) and added them. I was happy to remove the "clear" rectangle that is part of the original decal as I felt it looked cheap. A hindsight note is that it probably would have been easier to do this with the pyramid out of the game, but I still think we achieved a desirable result.

5J5A6383 (resized).JPG5J5A6383 (resized).JPG

A stand back view after reassembly. My wireforms have lost some of their golden hue as well but I think the game still looks nice with the Comet LEDs and Titan translucent rubbers. Look real close and you can see I've also replaced the Horus/Anubis targets with some translucent blue versions. I'll work on taking a few more detail photos later to truly finish this project off.

5J5A6391 (resized).JPG5J5A6391 (resized).JPG

#862 3 years ago

As promised -- some final pictures to close out the Stargate mini-chapter.

5J5A6421 (resized).JPG5J5A6421 (resized).JPG

5J5A6458 (resized).JPG5J5A6458 (resized).JPG

5J5A6400 (resized).JPG5J5A6400 (resized).JPG

5J5A6445 (resized).JPG5J5A6445 (resized).JPG

5J5A6454 (resized).JPG5J5A6454 (resized).JPG

I'll be starting a new project soon (or perhaps I've already started ) so look for a fresh title and some new imagery going forward!

#863 3 years ago

Looks great!
I have to ask how you're getting the ball to stay in place in your pictures, or are you quick enough to get pics while the ball is moving?

#864 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I have to ask how you're getting the ball to stay in place in your pictures, or are you quick enough to get pics while the ball is moving?

You want me to give up my secrets, eh?

No, I'm not a fast enough picture taker to catch the ball in the position I want as its rolling. I have a lot of respect for anyone that can pull that off.

What you cannot see behind the scenes in my pictures is that I usually have the playfield pulled out from the cabinet some and have some array of materials under the front edge (between the playfield and cabinet) to more or less make it level. There is a lot of trial/error and shimming, but eventually I'll get a position where the ball stays put. To make it more fun I usually have to readjust each time I want to move the ball to a new location as all areas never seem to be universally level. Even when I have things just right I more often than not will bump the cabinet and send the ball rolling away from where I want it. . . it is a process that takes a lot of patience!

#865 3 years ago

Time for the Next Project!

This game was advertised here on Pinside and I was lucky enough to see it early. About a year and a half ago tdiddy listed this project Seawitch in the classifieds and I made the drive out to his place with some cash to pick it up. I believe I also picked up a populated Cheetah and bare Dragonfist playfield on the way from a different pinsider (which is what you see at the left). I would have liked to hang around and put a few games on his Quicksilver but also wanted to get home before darkness fell so it was more of a grab and go type transaction.

All loaded up. . .

5J5A0064 (resized).JPG5J5A0064 (resized).JPG

The drive home was successful and I dropped the game in my garage. . . where it has been waiting for its turn for attention.

The time has come and so begins Chapter 7: Look Here to Sea Witch Project the Tide Washed in!

#866 3 years ago

When I say the game has been living in my garage I don't mean that it has been folded up in some sort of storage mode. It was the sort of game I felt comfortable leaving out there due to the condition that it was in. There was no backglass so flaking of paint was not a worry. There was significant playfield wear (as you will see) so I was not worried about temperature variation.

Despite its roughness the game did boot up and play -- so it would be my go to entertainment when it came time to be in the garage or more often than not when I would fire up the grill. My cooking routine usually followed the path of light the charcoal, put a few games on Seawitch, throw the burgers on, play another game or two, flip the burgers, play another game or two. . . you get the idea. It was perfect setup for awhile.

Here are a couple pictures of how this Seawitch lived for the better part of a year.

5J5A0960 (resized).JPG5J5A0960 (resized).JPG

5J5A0961 (resized).JPG5J5A0961 (resized).JPG

5J5A0088 (resized).JPG5J5A0088 (resized).JPG

Several months down the road I found a crackled backglass at the Cleveland (I think) show and enhanced the cosmetics a bit.

5J5A0965 (resized).JPG5J5A0965 (resized).JPG

Late last year I made some garage renovations of sorts and Seawitch was moved back into an environmentally stable environment. It is also now living next to several games that have had their own makeovers. . . so now is a great time to give the Witch some love and make her a bit less ugly.

#867 3 years ago

Excited for this one!
Hell I’m excited about all your games! Lol

#868 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Excited for this one!

I hope not to disappoint. I'm going for respectable player vs. high end on this one.

Here is Seawitch in the new room. Just a bit less clutter surrounding it.

5J5A6341 (resized).JPG5J5A6341 (resized).JPG

(I pulled the plastics to obtain an accurate post count for ordering purposes.)

5J5A6342 (resized).JPG5J5A6342 (resized).JPG

Taking a closer look we can see mostly original boards in the upper cabinet. I say mostly because that Solenoid Driver is actually a Bally.

5J5A6343 (resized).JPG5J5A6343 (resized).JPG

The original battery was still on the MPU when I bought the game so it was promptly removed early on. Can't really tell you what my high score has been at this point.

#869 3 years ago

Some playfield pictures. No need to say more than some wear is present.

5J5A0963 (resized).JPG5J5A0963 (resized).JPG

5J5A6476 (resized).JPG5J5A6476 (resized).JPG

5J5A6475 (resized).JPG5J5A6475 (resized).JPG

That upper right flipper has a Williams Logo on it!

5J5A6474 (resized).JPG5J5A6474 (resized).JPG

5J5A0964 (resized).JPG5J5A0964 (resized).JPG

Awhile back I picked up one of greatwichjohn 's repro playfields as I think this one is beyond my restoration abilities. It was a less than perfect playfield by his standards (I think it has white vs. yellow triangle inserts), but it was a good price and will obviously be better than what I have.

Not sure what is up with the red drop targets -- I think those were destined for a Dragonfist. I'll be putting those in my stash of rare pinball parts for potential future projects.

#870 3 years ago

Time for some cabinet pictures.

Removal of the lock down bar reveals something I've not encountered before. . . a game originally destined for a foreign land.

5J5A0966 (resized).JPG5J5A0966 (resized).JPG

Probably the original distributor plate. . . Montreal, eh?

5J5A6478 (resized).JPG5J5A6478 (resized).JPG

If you look under the dust and you can just make out that there are two transformers in there. The isolation transformer emits a nice hum when the game is plugged in but not turned on. I think this was something Canada required as a way of preventing a lethal shock. . .

5J5A6464 (resized).JPG5J5A6464 (resized).JPG

Original rectifier board. I'll probably be installing an upgrade from Weebly.

5J5A6465 (resized).JPG5J5A6465 (resized).JPG

After all the years this operator (registration?) card is still floating around inside. In addition to some spare parts.

5J5A6471 (resized).JPG5J5A6471 (resized).JPG

Speaking of spare parts, the interior cabinet corners hold all sorts of valuable extras. I'm half tempted to take the shop vac to it all but ultimately I know I'll sort thru everything to keep the useful bits.

5J5A6463 (resized).JPG5J5A6463 (resized).JPG

The coin door looks respectable and complete. I plan to give it the disassembly/cleaning/painting treatment. Hopefully I can find a Pinside guide to restoring it.

5J5A6466 (resized).JPG5J5A6466 (resized).JPG

5J5A6473 (resized).JPG5J5A6473 (resized).JPG

#871 3 years ago

Im jealous of your grey and red Craftsman box

#872 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

(I pulled the plastics to obtain an accurate post count for ordering purposes.)

Be aware that the reproduction blue Stern posts are NOT the same colour as the original ones you have. You would be fine if you are replacing all of them, but if you mix-and-match, it's quite noticeable and unacceptable . I ended up choosing to keep the somewhat worn originals, and hunted pinball scrap-piles for a while to get enough to complete the game.

#873 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Im jealous of your grey and red Craftsman box

That was my Grandpa's toolbox. He was generous enough to pass me on a number of his tools as well.

Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Be aware that the reproduction blue Stern posts are NOT the same colour as the original ones you have. You would be fine if you are replacing all of them, but if you mix-and-match, it's quite noticeable and unacceptable

Oh don't worry. In addition to a new playfield there will be new drop targets, star standup targets, plastics, flipper bats, etc., . . . and all new blue posts. I hope it will be noticeable but at the same time very acceptable.

#874 3 years ago

Some images of the playfield underside.

First the big picture.

5J5A6468 (resized).JPG5J5A6468 (resized).JPG

Hmmm, it seems more Bally pieces have found their way into this game (Hint: pop bumper).

5J5A6469 (resized).JPG5J5A6469 (resized).JPG

It looks like some repairs/updates have been attempted in the past. The quality flipper coils suggest it anyway.

5J5A6470 (resized).JPG5J5A6470 (resized).JPG

That about takes care of the "before" picture gallery. . . now its time to get to work on making things new again!

#875 3 years ago

Looking forward to following this story! You always do neat work, Doc

#876 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

You always do neat work, Doc

Well Thank You!

The first task I chose to tackle is looking over the circuit boards. I pulled everything from the upper cabinet and gave them a good cleaning. Rather than show you the details of every board here is a quick before/after of the sound board with new capacitors installed. Luckily I have a number of Big Daddy rebuild kits in my parts box so I did not have to wait on shipping.

5J5A6363 (resized).JPG5J5A6363 (resized).JPG 5J5A6365 (resized).JPG5J5A6365 (resized).JPG

The toothbrush is used for cleaning flux off the board with alcohol after soldering. . . just in case you were worried I was brushing while working on boards.

The original MPU received a remote battery holder and the lamp driver was just given a good clean at this point. I did not reuse the Bally solenoid driver, but I did dig out an extra Stern SD from the stash. It was missing a few pieces but I had what I needed to make it useful again.

5J5A6367 (resized).JPG5J5A6367 (resized).JPG

Here everything is all lined up on the workbench.

5J5A6479 (resized).JPG5J5A6479 (resized).JPG

You may have noticed the high voltage capacitor is missing from the solenoid driver. Your eyes do not deceive you -- I left it off because I plan on using something else I had bought months (year(s))? ago. A set of LED displays from Pinitech ( acebathound ). This was an older set that was being discounted when he/they were making more modern revisions. . . but they should still work the trick for me. The nice thing about them is they run on 5V so I can pull the fuse for the high voltage on the rectifier (230V) and have one less area to trouble shoot.

5J5A6480 (resized).JPG5J5A6480 (resized).JPG

I'll also be upgrading the rectifier -- I may have to place another order with barakandl / nvram-weebly for that.

#877 3 years ago

Before starting the teardown I put the SD back in place for a voltage check -- once that was found to be in proper order I replaced the MPU and saw my seven blinks. I swapped in a couple test displays just to make sure everything looked happy. I was even able to credit up and play a game. . . sort of. I ran thru all the solenoids/switches by hand to make sure everything was still working.

5J5A6482 (resized).JPG5J5A6482 (resized).JPG

Once content that I had the boards running properly I began the playfield topside tear down. Its been awhile since I've done this on an early 80s game. . . it did not take long at all!

5J5A6489 (resized).JPG5J5A6489 (resized).JPG

The playfield should be coming out soon. . . but I did bring a new-to-me game home yesterday so I'll have to pull myself away from it to keep the progress going.

#879 3 years ago

Just to confirm: This Seawitch project is GREAT! Following every step.

#880 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Just to confirm: This Seawitch project is GREAT! Following every step.

I'll confirm that I appreciate your interest and will do my best to keep updates coming.

Speaking of which, nothing ground breaking over the last few days. I have been in disassembly mode and just about have the cabinet emptied of the internals.

(Mostly) Empty Cabinet:

KIMG0854 (resized).JPGKIMG0854 (resized).JPG

Parts on Bench:

KIMG0853 (resized).JPGKIMG0853 (resized).JPG

At this stage I think I have decided how far I want to go with this game. The colors are still bright on the cabinet. There are scuffs, scrapes, and wear present, but not enough so that I cannot appreciate the originality. The structure is still sound and sturdy. I think I've decided to make this a "sleeper" game -- similar to a car that has a rough exterior but a tweaked out interior/engine bay. I'll try to clean up the inside of the cabinet as best I can, sand down the internals, then probably rattle can some new interior paint before cleaning/reinstalling all of the parts you see piled up on the bench.

Due to space and my desire to own a future game of a different title (or two. . . or three) I'm thinking Seawitch may move to a new home eventually, but its difficult to say when until its back together and I can play it as new. So far that plan of attack has not worked so well for Judge Dredd, Earthshaker, or Paragon (they are all still here) but someday something is going to have to give. I did sell my Meteor, Taxi, as well as a couple other games so I know it is possible.

The plan will be to fix Seawitch up to a respectable level but hope to break even when sell day comes. If someone will want to re-stencil the cabinet in the future they should be able to do so with minimal extra work. . . I know if I try to do it I will go overboard and completely blow the budget. I hope to have the cabinet out and in a more workable location by the end of this weekend. Wish me luck!

#881 3 years ago

Canadian Tip #1 The Isolation transformer might have asbestos under it, be careful.

Canadian Tip #2 While there is merit to using the iso, it also makes a great boat anchor.

#882 3 years ago

Canadian Tips Noted. On the plus side the original line cord is in great shape and still has its original ground prong.

Today I was successful in moving the Seawitch Cabinet back to the workshop.

KIMG0864 (resized).JPGKIMG0864 (resized).JPG

If you've read thru this thread you know that I can state my plans/intentions for a project and then change them in the very next post. I think that may be what has to happen with what I plan to do with the cabinet.

While I'd love a simple interior freshening up, closer inspection is telling me I really need to put more effort into the cabinet exterior. A few pictures of what I am seeing.

More planking/paint flaking than I like:

KIMG0870 (resized).JPGKIMG0870 (resized).JPG

A looser than expected front corner:

KIMG0868 (resized).JPGKIMG0868 (resized).JPG KIMG0867 (resized).JPGKIMG0867 (resized).JPG

Finally, most significant -- the bottom of the back of the cabinet. More pieces missing than I remember.

KIMG0866 (resized).JPGKIMG0866 (resized).JPG

Sooooo, I'm thinking of taking on the task of solidifying/prepping the cabinet for a new set of stencils. I needed to make sure Pinball Pimp offered Seawitch as an option (he does) before I started sanding down the exterior -- in the meantime I started sanding the inside and used my ancient nail puller to assist with pulling the side rails. Don't worry, I'm up to date on my tetanus shot.

KIMG0871 (resized).JPGKIMG0871 (resized).JPG

I'll probably start sanding the rest of the cabinet later this week.

Be forewarned -- this will be more of a rattle can job vs. using the auto paints as I had done on Fathom. I do really need to maintain some kind of budget!!

#883 3 years ago

Spent my day off today lazing about (first time in I can't remember how long), reading through this entire thread to date, very enjoyable. Some nice work, interesting side stories on occasions and some great help from others. Well done. I look forward to dropping into this thread each time it's updated. Especially looking forward to the current Seawitch project.

#884 3 years ago

Did you get a new backglass from John when you ordered the playfield?

#885 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Spent my day off today lazing about (first time in I can't remember how long), reading through this entire thread to date, very enjoyable.

Glad I could be part of your day! I appreciate you following along.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Did you get a new backglass from John when you ordered the playfield?

You'll just have to check back and see on that one.

#886 3 years ago

Before sanding down too much of the cabinet color I've been trying to match some paint samples.

In the meantime my DIY Rectifier Board arrived from NVRAM-Weebly and I spent some time last night putting it together.

A before and after:

5J5A6498 (resized).JPG5J5A6498 (resized).JPG 5J5A6499 (resized).JPG5J5A6499 (resized).JPG

Probably not as nice a job as it would have been if barakandl had done it himself. . . but that is ok as long as it works. I will mention to make sure to space the fuse clips far enough apart -- a couple of mine were a tad close and I had to make some adjustments. Also, the black diodes (1N4007?) were not obviously marked as far as which end was banded but I used the multi-meter and was able to figure out proper orientation.

PS -- just in case you did not read prior posts, the high voltage fuse was left out on purpose.

#887 3 years ago

The process of strengthening the corners has begun.

KIMG0873 (resized).JPGKIMG0873 (resized).JPG

While I wait for glue to dry I have been working on another side project -- if you remember reading awhile back I pulled the engine out of dad's '53 Ford Pickup. The engine is all back together after a rebuild, but before it goes back in I cannot help but clean up the engine bay a bit. I took things one step further after I noticed a seepy rear seal on the transmission. . . and this happened this afternoon.

KIMG0874 (resized).JPGKIMG0874 (resized).JPG

(That is the transmission on the jack in front of the truck for those that don't know. Its removal is "what happened." )

After the glue had a night or two to dry I started some prep work on the cabinet back panel to fill in those massive missing chunks. I may follow vid1900 's recommendation to use fiberglass resin on this one as I think (ok, I know) this area is too large for my filler.

Time to go re-read the "rebuilding cabinets" thread -- starting here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide#post-2546324

KIMG0875 (resized).JPGKIMG0875 (resized).JPG

The tricky bit will be preventing the resin from flowing down into the leg bolt hole(s), but I have a couple ideas on how to avoid that.

#888 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

The process of strengthening the corners has begun.
[quoted image]
While I wait for glue to dry I have been working on another side project -- if you remember reading awhile back I pulled the engine out of dad's '53 Ford Pickup. The engine is all back together after a rebuild, but before it goes back in I cannot help but clean up the engine bay a bit. I took things one step further after I noticed a seepy rear seal on the transmission. . . and this happened this afternoon.
[quoted image]
(That is the transmission on the jack in front of the truck for those that don't know. Its removal is "what happened." )
After the glue had a night or two to dry I started some prep work on the cabinet back panel to fill in those massive missing chunks. I may follow vid1900 's recommendation to use fiberglass resin on this one as I think (ok, I know) this area is too large for my filler.
Time to go re-read the "rebuilding cabinets" thread -- starting here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide#post-2546324
[quoted image]
The tricky bit will be preventing the resin from flowing down into the leg bolt hole(s), but I have a couple ideas on how to avoid that.

I've used cherry sawdust/shavings from
my wood working and mixed into the
fiberglass and it makes kind of an oatmeal
consistency and is easier to apply . It has worked
well with my Prospector and Meteor cabinet.

#889 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I've used cherry sawdust/shavings from my wood working and mixed into the fiberglass

Not a bad idea. . . and Cherry is one of my favorite woods. I may save those for next time though as I had some fiberglass fibers handy to throw into the mix.

I made efforts to prep the cabinet before pouring the resin. First, I secured a number of screws in the area that is to be filled.

5J5A6524 (resized).JPG5J5A6524 (resized).JPG

This picture is meant to show the screw heads sit below the desired level of fill for our resin. The resin will flow under/around the screw heads and will then be better held to the cabinet should a future scuff, bump, or ding take place.

5J5A6525 (resized).JPG5J5A6525 (resized).JPG

I started with the smaller area that needed repair. I used a scrap piece of thin sheet metal as a barrier (waxed on the surface that will contact resin) and secured it to the cabinet with clamps and staples. Then I poured in my resin mix.

KIMG0877 (resized).JPGKIMG0877 (resized).JPG

After it had some time to cure I pulled the restraints and was left with a respectable repair. Some sanding and smoothing will be necessary of course, but this should present nicely once it is painted.

5J5A6527 (resized).JPG5J5A6527 (resized).JPG

Next I'll attempt to fill in the big hole. I'll post details as it happens!

#890 3 years ago

Today I decided to have a go at filling in the large missing chunk on the back of the cabinet.

To assist with this I brought some bits from work home with me.

5J5A6529 (resized).JPG5J5A6529 (resized).JPG

Don't worry -- I did not give myself a shot of anything for "assistance." I used the plastic syringe cases as plugs for the leg bolt holes.

5J5A6530 (resized).JPG5J5A6530 (resized).JPG

I tapped them in for a snug fit then cut them so as to be flush with the side of the cabinet. This would allow the metal barrier for the resin to lay flat against the cabinet. (Sorry for the poor pic.)

5J5A6531 (resized).JPG5J5A6531 (resized).JPG

The metal barrier has been clamped and stapled into place.

5J5A6532 (resized).JPG5J5A6532 (resized).JPG

Added in some fiberglass mat/shavings for strength.

5J5A6533 (resized).JPG5J5A6533 (resized).JPG

Then poured in the resin mixed with activator. I did have a couple seeps from under the barrier and also inside the cabinet corner, but I was able to plug the opening with a small piece of paper towel quickly. I checked periodically to make sure I stopped the leaks as the resin cured.

5J5A6534 (resized).JPG5J5A6534 (resized).JPG

Tomorrow we will see how our repair turns out. . . or if it all leaked out thru another gap/hole after I left!

#891 3 years ago

I made it over to the shop this afternoon to inspect the results of yesterday's efforts.

A few drips did sneak out here and there, but enough resin remained for a successful repair (to my eye anyway).

A couple of pics after removing the barriers and giving the area a quick sanding.

KIMG0881 (resized).JPGKIMG0881 (resized).JPG KIMG0880 (resized).JPGKIMG0880 (resized).JPG

I'd call it a successful repair. Next up will be sanding the rest of the paint from the cabinet and then bodywork for the remaining dings, dents, and divots.

#893 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I made it over to the shop this afternoon to inspect the results of yesterday's efforts.
A few drips did sneak out here and there, but enough resin remained for a successful repair (to my eye anyway).
A couple of pics after removing the barriers and giving the area a quick sanding.
[quoted image] [quoted image]
I'd call it a successful repair. Next up will be sanding the rest of the paint from the cabinet and then bodywork for the remaining dings, dents, and divots.

Very cool. Nice work!

#894 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Very cool. Nice work!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I had some time to work on sanding the bottom cabinet this afternoon. A couple of saw horses put the cabinet at a height that helped my back hurt less as I write this.

5J5A6535 (resized).JPG5J5A6535 (resized).JPG

After an unknown amount of time most of the bare wood is exposed. Check out all that dust on the floor (yes, I'm wearing a respirator!).

5J5A6536 (resized).JPG5J5A6536 (resized).JPG

For fun I sprayed a quick coat of primer over the back panel. Look close at the bottom left corner and you can still see the outline of the resin repair, but I hope I can smooth that in more as I move along. Outline or not, it looks much better than a having a large chunk missing.

5J5A6538 (resized).JPG5J5A6538 (resized).JPG

In one of my first acts of esthetic refurbishment I applied a couple coats of polyurethane to the bottom panel after cleaning it up/sanding it down. I will keep the panel brown but plan on painting the inside walls and cross bars in the cabinet the base light blue color.

5J5A6539 (resized).JPG5J5A6539 (resized).JPG

Speaking of the base light blue, here is a sample of the color I have decided to go with as compared with the back of the upper cabinet.

5J5A6541 (resized).JPG5J5A6541 (resized).JPG

This is a Sherwin Williams Latex Enamel. It is much thicker than my automotive paints. I do not plan on using a brush/roller to apply, instead I'm hoping I can reduce the paint down enough to a thin enough consistency to spray. I'm sure I'll figure it out. . . learning how to accomplish something is half the fun, right?

#895 3 years ago

I have used Flood Floetrol to make latex paint more sprayable without it thinning it to much. Can be found at home depot.

#896 3 years ago

Since you're not spraying a car or a work of art. Winter windshield wiper fluid, the original blue kind. The all season or any version with detergents will not work.

Start at 15% dilution and adjust accordingly.

#897 3 years ago

Quick cabinet update.

The major defects have been smoothed over, rough sanded, and a first coat of primer has been applied to the outside of the lower cabinet.

KIMG0882 (resized).JPGKIMG0882 (resized).JPG

I'll give it another sanding down, try to address any obvious defects, then give another coat of primer. Once I have the lower cabinet in finish primer I'll start the needed repairs/sanding on the upper cabinet.

1 week later
#898 3 years ago

Another quick cabinet update.

Bottom half is just about in finish primer (probably one more coat then good) and the upper cabinet has the rough sanding done with some filler work started.

5J5A6563 (resized).JPG5J5A6563 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#899 3 years ago

Getting Closer!

I've had enough priming and sanding -- while not perfect I'm comfortable with how the cabinet should present.

Today I made a test run with the new (to me) paint. I sprayed the bottom of the upper cabinet to see how compatible it would be with my equipment, the cabinet, gravity ( ), etc. To be honest the reviews for this particular paint on the Sherwin Williams website were not all that great. Poor coverage, runs/paint going on too thin, tackiness days later, and many other comments were left by folks who had tried it. I have a couple connections at SW and can get the paint for a reasonable price so I was willing to try it. . . and so far I am pleasantly surprised at how things turned out.

5J5A7039 (resized).JPG5J5A7039 (resized).JPG

A close up of the color with just one coat -- don't judge me on the roughness of the wood in this area!

5J5A7041 (resized).JPG5J5A7041 (resized).JPG

I did thin the paint with Flood Floetrol and while it was still a good bit thicker than my automotive primers my Harbor Freight primer gun did a good job of spraying an even coat. Here is a quick look at my chaotic work table.

5J5A7037 (resized).JPG5J5A7037 (resized).JPG

It took a little longer to clean the paint from the gun, but it was nice not having to worry about isocyanates.

The next step is to spray blue on the entire cabinet(s) -- I just need to find an open window of time!

#900 3 years ago

I managed to be efficient at work today and was able to spray the basecoat blue on the cabinet this afternoon.

Initially I was frustrated as I was not able to achieve the smooth application that resulted during the test spray. The paint was applied in a spattery pattern in what could be described as a super orange peel effect. After unsuccessful adjustments with the gun and Floetrol mix with the paint I committed to giving everything a good basecoat. Once dry I thought I'd have to sand the lumps out followed by a second topcoat.

To my surprise as the paint dried everything smoothed out to an acceptable look. Not perfect, but actually very nice. Bad reviews aside, so far this first color has good coverage and is drying to a nice finish. I took these pics as the paint was still drying -- look close and you can see the lighter colored areas where the paint is still wet.

5J5A7050 (resized).JPG5J5A7050 (resized).JPG 5J5A7051 (resized).JPG5J5A7051 (resized).JPG

I was able to touch up difficult to reach areas on the inside with a foam "brush." Nice!

Now that I'm more comfortable with the paint I suppose it is time to officially order some stencils. Hey Pimp -- order incoming!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/18?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.