(Topic ID: 231017)

Look What Pulled into the Shop -- A Tired TAXI in Need of Repair!

By TractorDoc

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 736 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by TractorDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 948 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5J5A3631 (resized).JPG
5J5A3630 (resized).JPG
5J5A3629 (resized).JPG
5J5A3577 (resized).JPG
5J5A3574 (resized).JPG
5J5A3576 (resized).JPG
5J5A3573 (resized).JPG
5J5A3538 (resized).JPG
5J5A3525 (resized).JPG
5J5A3413 (resized).JPG
5J5A3567 (resized).JPG
5J5A3536 (resized).JPG
5J5A3533 (resized).JPG
5J5A3532 (resized).JPG
5J5A3537 (resized).JPG
5J5A3535 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 14 days ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thank you for detailed installation and for the nice words.
It's really good to see the result of my effort - my Judge Dredd is disassembled, still in many boxes...

Without taking anything away from the existing crane mod, your mod is in a whole different league. I’d definitely be in for one.

#702 14 days ago

Several more overhead pictures.

Also updated the install post to show where to plug in the connector.

5J5A3500 (resized).JPG5J5A3504 (resized).JPG
#703 13 days ago
Quoted from cynric:

Do you have a picture of the shorter truss frame installed?

Ask and you shall see.

5J5A3515 (resized).JPG5J5A3518 (resized).JPG5J5A3519 (resized).JPG
#704 13 days ago

Longer truss looks way better. davi killed it with this one! Can't wait to get mine. You are I are his first 2.. Mine is getting sent to HEP since he currently has my JD in his queue.

#705 12 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Ask and you shall see.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you! I do like the short version much better. It'd be nice if Davi gave us the choice when it's done

#706 12 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Ask and you shall see.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like this variation of the crane the best!

#707 12 days ago
Quoted from cynric:

Thank you! I do like the short version much better. It'd be nice if Davi gave us the choice when it's done

Quoted from chad:

I like this variation of the crane the best!

Quoted from calfdemon:

Longer truss looks way better.

That's why I am going to offer both versions - don't worry

#708 12 days ago

Here is the separated thread about my crane mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-active-3d-crane-modification

Don't want to hijack this thread with Dredd stuff, it's time to move on to Taxi

#709 12 days ago
Quoted from Davi:

Don't want to hijack this thread with Dredd stuff, it's time to move on to Taxi

You know Davi, you might be right.

Originally Taxi was supposed to be a quick shop job. As I dig into the game more I'm finding several issues that might be fun to discuss in this thread.

This will not be a restoration. . . in fact it will be far from it. This will be more of a mechanical fix and repair issues type of a game to get it playing well enough to list in the marketplace. I've owned a Taxi in the past and it is a fun playing game, but I only have room for so many (I was supposed to sell Judge Dredd but cannot bring myself to do it!). Part of what I enjoy about the pinball hobby is learning and fixing the problems a game may have -- that task gives my mind something to focus on and is a type of therapy for me.

With all that said a thread title change will be coming as well as a wave of pictures of our new project. Yo, Taxi!

#710 12 days ago

Lets go Taxi! I don't have one so this will not cost me like the Judge Dredd project - Sniper Tower, Cooling Towers and now Davi has a crane coming my way

#711 12 days ago

Yay! Taxi is the next game I'm hoping to pick up. Or a Pin*Bot. Or a Cyclone. I just can't get enough of those System 11 machines.

#712 11 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Lets go Taxi! I don't have one so this will not cost me like the Judge Dredd project - Sniper Tower, Cooling Towers and now Davi has a crane coming my way

How about your Dredd plastic set? Cracked and faded, ready to replace?

#713 11 days ago

Ha! Actually, my plastics are pretty good except for two pieces - the Sniper Tower plastic, which is now removed for the Sniper Tower Mod, and the shooter lane plastic, broke when I got the pin and not yet fixed. I would be interested in just that one ...

Shooter (resized).jpg
#714 11 days ago

Time for a Taxi Transition.

Getting acquainted with our new victim.
No dramatic acquisition story on this one. . . unless you count the four or five times I had to turn around to find the pickup location.

A couple quick games played revealed that there would be issues, but the price as right so we loaded up and headed home.

5J5A3382A (resized).JPG5J5A3384 (resized).JPG
#715 11 days ago

Game set up after an overnight in the Jeep (it happens).

Played a dozen or more games and started to form some second first impressions.

Cosmetics will be a secondary concern this time around (for now ). The playfield has wear, the ramps have cracks, and the cabinet has dings. Mechanically the game feels loose as you play. A number of fixed playfield parts actually move/wiggle when hit with the ball. One pop bumper was functional but all other solenoids were working. Some lamps were on, most were not. The spinout ramp registered about half the time. The arrival/departure bell does not ring. The rubbers were crumbling and leaving white crumbs on the playfield as I played.

On the plus side the flippers feel strong, all switches appear to work/register, and the game is fun to play. Even with parts moving that are not supposed to.

A quick view of the game setup. Oh Yeah, it also has a brand new topper. That was high on my list of concerns.

5J5A3410 (resized).JPG5J5A3411 (resized).JPG
#716 11 days ago

Some playfield pics.

5J5A3407 (resized).JPG5J5A3406 (resized).JPG5J5A3405 (resized).JPG

Its no cream puff, but I think it has potential.

I'll try posting some detailed pics of the problem areas in the next couple days. . . till then I hope you've enjoyed the ride thus far.

#717 11 days ago

Hey man, can you change the channel, I hate the f*cking Eagles...

#718 10 days ago

So Doc, keeping her Red or dying her blonde?

#719 10 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Hey man, can you change the channel, I hate the f*cking Eagles...

I hope to play TBL someday. . .

Quoted from freddy:

So Doc, keeping her Red or dying her blonde?

Given that all the barber shop / hairdresser locations are closed in Ohio for the foreseeable future we may just have to stay red. . . hopefully it does not turn to gray before I get done!

#720 10 days ago

In no specific order I will try to point out some of our issues/problems and why they exist.

Starting with the pop bumpers -- I lifted the playfield and found one of the three plungers was stuck firm and could/would not drop down into the coil sleeve. The coil itself looked/felt a little crispy so I pulled the assembly from the playfield for a closer look.

5J5A3534 (resized).JPG

No binding on the yoke and the plunger had some wiggle to it; still no retraction into the coil though. I freed the coil from the bracket to find this:

5J5A3535 (resized).JPG

Looks like something is blocking the path of our plunger. . . likely melted coil sleeve.

I took to reading System 11 Pinwiki guides -- found a possible link? Copying/Pasting from their site:

"The pops and slings on system 9/11 games do not activate via a switch which is seen by the MPU's program which fires the coil - instead, the switches directly fire their associated coils via some logic gates on the main board. The main disadvantage with this system is that the solenoids fire continuously as long as their activation switch is closed; a locked on sling or pop will burn out components quickly. It is recommended to add a 1, 1.5, or 2 amp inline fuse to each coil on a directly fired system 11 game. Usually just the pops and slings are direct fired coils, however, other coils were designated to the special solenoids. Later System 11 games did not use the direct fire solenoid switches, switches on the switch matrix were used instead."

I need to look into the situation a bit further. Regardless a new set of bumper coils will be on the replacement parts list.

#721 10 days ago

The infamous coil meltdown.

#722 9 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Ha! Actually, my plastics are pretty good except for two pieces - the Sniper Tower plastic, which is now removed for the Sniper Tower Mod, and the shooter lane plastic, broke when I got the pin and not yet fixed. I would be interested in just that one ...[quoted image]

If we (mainly you ) are lucky, I can do something.

#723 9 days ago

Why can't I ring my bell?

A quick inspection provides clues.

5J5A3537 (resized).JPG

Wires that lack a connection and it appears something is missing. According to the manual I need a 0.1 uf 500V ceramic capacitor. There may be other reasons for lack of function, but this is a start.

Unfortunately I placed a parts order before I realized I needed the capacitor. . . but that is ok because after working on the game today I've found a few more bits to add to order #2. Someday I will learn to be patient enough to wait until disassembly is complete to click the "submit" button.

#724 8 days ago

So what is up with our lamps/lighting?

After working thru Judge Dredd I've learned the GI can be hard on connectors. Seems System 11 games can have the same issues, often on the interconnect board in the upper cabinet.

Here is how ours looks.

5J5A3532 (resized).JPG

I'm thinking the speaker wire and electrical tape are questionable. I'll need to pull the board to see how the backside looks. Interestingly the input/return connector for the transformer (far right, J6) looks to have been replaced. Wires were also spliced into the transformer wires to fit each pin on the connector (vs. looping them around). . . I give credit for the effort but the presentation is a little rough (more electrical tape). We can fix that.

Looking under the playfield what do we see. . .

5J5A3536 (resized).JPG

Alligator clips to power our slingshot GI? What are we, savages?

That is not all. Up in the far right corner I see a dangling connector and wire nuts splicing wires together. I look closer and there is a GI Relay board the aforementioned connector should plug into -- but its missing the relay. I can also see where the spliced wires came from.

5J5A3533 (resized).JPG

Luckily the relay was included in my first parts order -- hopefully I can rebuild the board and get all these issues resolved. I need to do a little more testing before pulling the interconnect, but I'll be sure to post more pics when I do.

#725 8 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:I need to do a little more testing before pulling the interconnect, but I'll be sure to post more pics when I do.

The interconnect board on our Taxi we just picked up must have some cold solder joints on it. I can wiggle the connectors on it while powered up and some of the GI lights flicker on and off so I'll definitely be pulling all the boards to reflow all of the header pins. In my experience with our Big Guns, and Cyclone these sys11 boards are loaded with cold solder joints.

-Paul

#726 6 days ago

The more I learn about these games the more I realize how little I know.

I learned that Taxi actually has two GI Relay boards -- one for the playfield and one for the upper cabinet. At least there should be a second one in the upper cabinet. . . . it appears the relay bandit has struck again on this game, only this time he/she snagged the entire board.

5J5A3567 (resized).JPG

I am not aware of any current aftermarket suppliers for this board now that Great Lakes Modular is no longer accepting orders.

Perhaps it is time to post another Want Ad in the Pinside Classifieds.

#727 6 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

The more I learn about these games the more I realize how little I know.
I learned that Taxi actually has two GI Relay boards -- one for the playfield and one for the upper cabinet. At least there should be a second one in the upper cabinet. . . . it appears the relay bandit has struck again on this game, only this time he/she snagged the entire board.
[quoted image]
I am not aware of any current aftermarket suppliers for this board now that Great Lakes Modular is no longer accepting orders.

Maybe dc2010 has one?

#728 6 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Maybe dc2010 has one?

If it interchanges maybe, if it is specific to Taxi no

#729 6 days ago

I have a couple leads / may know a guy. . . and I didn't even have to post my want ad!

Will post back should things work out.

#730 5 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I have a spare from my Jokerz if you want it. PM me and we can work out the details.

#731 5 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

I have a spare from my Jokerz if you want it. PM me and we can work out the details.

You are too kind good sir. I will definitely keep you in mind if my source does not work out -- I may also be able to pick up a blank interconnect board at the same time which I think would be nice to have on hand given how often the originals get abused.

#732 5 days ago

Playfield teardown has begun and the work table is filling up fast!

5J5A3413 (resized).JPG5J5A3525 (resized).JPG5J5A3538 (resized).JPG
#733 2 days ago

Pulled the interconnect board today.

A couple pictures to highlight some prior work done on the board.

5J5A3573 (resized).JPG

5J5A3576 (resized).JPG

A closer inspection of the ceramic resistors shows R9 has a broken connection at one end. The back of the board suggests that R10 was rather warm at one time. Thinking I may replace the resistors while I have the board out.

5J5A3574 (resized).JPG

Luckily the prior work just appears hacky and hopefully I can rebuild the board back to full function with new header pins. Looks like I have a date with the desoldering gun and iron later tonite. . . after Mrs.TractorDoc goes to sleep.

#734 1 day ago

Out with the old, soldered in the new. Header pins and relay anyway -- will need to acquire some new resistors.

5J5A3577 (resized).JPG
#735 1 day ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Pulled the interconnect board today.
A couple pictures to highlight some prior work done on the board.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
A closer inspection of the ceramic resistors shows R9 has a broken connection at one end. The back of the board suggests that R10 was rather warm at one time. Thinking I may replace the resistors while I have the board out.
[quoted image]
Luckily the prior work just appears hacky and hopefully I can rebuild the board back to full function with new header pins. Looks like I have a date with the desoldering gun and iron later tonite. . . after Mrs.TractorDoc goes to sleep.

just dealt with this same hack on a whirlwind. unbelievable.

#736 16 hours ago

Sunday mornings are a great time to disassemble and clean drop target assemblies.

5J5A3629 (resized).JPG

No translucent targets for Taxi, but I did splurge and purchase a set of new decals for the targets. The repros are not the exact size as the originals, so its best to install a new decal next to an original for proper placement. I almost had part numbers exposed above the playfield!

5J5A3630 (resized).JPG

Finished products. The Pinbot decals actually cleaned up well enough to leave the originals in place.

5J5A3631 (resized).JPG

Nothing is more satisfying than the swift snap and click of a clean drop target falling.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
There are 736 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside