(Topic ID: 231017)

Look What Pulled into the Shop -- A Tired TAXI in Need of Repair!

By TractorDoc

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 734 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by TractorDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 945 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5J5A3577 (resized).JPG
5J5A3574 (resized).JPG
5J5A3576 (resized).JPG
5J5A3573 (resized).JPG
5J5A3538 (resized).JPG
5J5A3525 (resized).JPG
5J5A3413 (resized).JPG
5J5A3567 (resized).JPG
5J5A3536 (resized).JPG
5J5A3533 (resized).JPG
5J5A3532 (resized).JPG
5J5A3537 (resized).JPG
5J5A3535 (resized).JPG
5J5A3534 (resized).JPG
5J5A3405 (resized).JPG
5J5A3407 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 734 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
#651 58 days ago

I have been working on the Judge Dredd drop target unit.

I'm learning the mechanisms on these "newer" games are a bit easier to remove and work on -- no complaints here!

In an attempt to add a bit of light to the dark drop target area I went ahead and ordered a set of the translucent targets from www.Pinball-Mods.com (Thanks @Zitt ). I also threw together a quick decal target design and had some decals cut from vinyl in a gold metallic color. I thought about putting "Dredd" on the targets but ultimately went with "Judge" to stay consistent with the DMD display when playing.

5J5A3088 (resized).JPG

Decals applied to the targets.

5J5A3089 (resized).JPG

Test lighting on the workbench (aka the kitchen island). I could do without the vertical support ribs visible thru the targets, but I'm telling myself they match the crime scene inserts.

5J5A3092 (resized).JPG

#652 58 days ago

It did not take long to try a test fit in the game.

Target bank in place and viewed with playfield lighting.

5J5A3095 (resized).JPG

Added in some posts, Titan rings, and a plastic.

5J5A3109 (resized).JPG

You know, I think I'm liking it.

Not everything is perfect though. It turns out the original targets (except the center) are not hooded for a good reason -- they catch on the rings behind the target and will not drop!

5J5A3119 (resized).JPG

#653 58 days ago

Luckily it is easier to remove material from a target than to add it, and that is what I did. The benchtop grinder made quick work of shaving off the excess.

5J5A3120 (resized).JPG

Test fitting and our efforts have been met with success!

5J5A3121 (resized).JPG

Remainder of the targets modified and perhaps the target bank has been installed for the foreseeable future.

5J5A3125 (resized).JPG

#654 58 days ago

Final pics for the night.

5J5A3139 (resized).JPG

5J5A3133 (resized).JPG

#655 58 days ago

id went ahead and replaced the little black strip that holds the drop targets up, they get worn and crack pretty easy on this game. love the clear drops though, def helps with light. nice work!

#656 58 days ago

I really like the clear targets too, they look great illuminated. Not sure if I like JUDGE JUDGE, but don't think DREDD JUDGE would have been better.

#657 56 days ago

Flipper units rebuilt with new coils installed in each.

5J5A3148 (resized).JPG5J5A3149 (resized).JPG5J5A3150 (resized).JPG

Did you notice the cleaned subway installed? Its so clean it almost disappears!

The original red coil had the sleeve stuck inside it and the lower right mech had the incorrect coil, so I went ahead and replaced them all. As I was able to play this game before tearing into it I'll be curious to see if I notice a flipper difference now. I'm amazed the upper left flipper even worked at all!

#658 56 days ago

I also began the process of installing the ball guides.

Don't tell the Mrs., but I snuck the stainless steel polish out of the house with me this morning.

5J5A3151 (resized).JPG

The spray polish really cleaned the guides up nicely. Even though I took pictures to reference each guides location I sort of winged it on installation. I liked the mini challenge of finding each guide's proper spot -- almost like putting together a 3-D puzzle.

5J5A3155 (resized).JPG5J5A3154 (resized).JPG

Hopefully assembly can start moving quickly now. . . if I can find the time.

I find the area of the Cursed Earth a bit fascinating. It communicates with the subway, but I can not think of any part of the game where the ball would drop in there. Perhaps the communication was just in case!

#659 56 days ago

What are those double-headed LEDs you have installed in the crime level inserts?

#660 56 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

What are those double-headed LEDs you have installed in the crime level inserts?

Those would be Comet two-headed flex non-ghosting bulbs.

Link: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/two-headed-flex-non-ghosting

Pic: pasted_image (resized).png

They work well on larger inserts and I use them under star rollovers to illuminate the entire circle. The bulbs I had installed before these were not providing uniform light to the crime scene inserts.

#661 56 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

The bulbs I had installed before these were not providing uniform light to the crime scene inserts.

Fantastic, and exactly why I asked about them. Thanks!

#662 54 days ago

Parts added. . . the playfield is taking form!

JDPlayfield2 (resized).JPG
#663 52 days ago

More before and after cleaning pics.

5J5A3193 (resized).JPG5J5A3194 (resized).JPG

Reassembly is beginning to ramp up!

5J5A3195 (resized).JPG5J5A3200 (resized).JPG
#664 49 days ago

I have made enough progress that I was able to plug the game in and give the ball a couple flips to test things out.

The flipper rebuilds have helped quite a bit. . . or I've just improved after not playing this game for awhile.

The main issue was that the new drop targets were not registering when hit. I made sure the 5-bank opto board was plugged in (very possible it was not -- but it was) and the voltages all checked fine. I went to bed trying to think of all the different reasons why they would not register and sometime in the night realized the translucent nature of the drop target material may not block enough light for the opto to detect it.

I flipped the target bank down from the playfield and removed the opto board.

A picture of the targets without modification. The opto tabs are near impossible to see in the pic!

5J5A3204 (resized).JPG

After modification -- I used some high tech electrical tape to cover the tabs -- now we can see them!

5J5A3207 (resized).JPG

The result. . . success! After reassembly the targets now register when dropped. Keep this in mind should you want to use the translucent drops in a similar fashion on your game! You can use something more sophisticated to block the targets if you like.

#665 49 days ago

15 years for installing invisible drop targets.

#666 49 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

15 years for installing invisible drop targets.

I was worried you would find this thread.
I bet you like the invisible drop targets as much as you like the LEDs on one of your favorite games.

Neither has to stay there forever. . . I just wanted to try something new and provide a bit more light.

I hope we can still be friends!

#667 49 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I bet you like the invisible drop targets as much as you like the LEDs on one of your favorite games.

If either causes problems that didn't exist before, let's just say I can live without them.

Your game, and I do appreciate the time you are putting into it. Once you've had a JD apart top to bottom, and get it working 100%, there isn't much you can't tackle.

#668 49 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Once you've had a JD apart top to bottom, and get it working 100%, there isn't much you can't tackle.

That's good to hear because mine is coming apart really soon.

#669 49 days ago

Thanks for putting this out for us to see. I am kinda liking the clear drop targets myself.

#670 49 days ago

At risk of upsetting the Gods ( ), I did add in another mod.

Before taking things apart I had a number of family/friends play this game. A question that always surfaced was "What are those rocks over there with numbers on them?" or "Why do those tombstones have numbers?"

They were referring to the cooling towers on the right side. I could see their point -- sometimes the silhouette of a cooling tower could look like a rock or a tombstone. To help future players better visualize these features I picked up the cooling tower mod from ragefactory 's shop here on Pinside. The towers are a bit smaller. . . but they definitely look more realistic.

5J5A3202 (resized).JPG

They fit next to the ramp nicely and still give a clear view of the captive balls.

5J5A3203 (resized).JPG

A glowing green LED effect can also be added for the true nuclear meltdown experience.

5J5A3221 (resized).JPG

#671 49 days ago

Not quite the final photoshoot yet, but a few more pics of how things are coming together.

5J5A3208 (resized).JPG5J5A3215 (resized).JPG5J5A3214 (resized).JPG5J5A3230 (resized).JPG

#672 49 days ago

I've seen the cooling mod on the marketplace and honestly I was on the fence about it until I saw your pics. I'm 100% sold on the idea now, and am going to be getting one as soon as I fix this stupid sound board issue I'm having.

#673 48 days ago

I have the tower mod but haven't installed it yet. I want to figure out a decal to put over the base so that it better blends in with the existing plastic. This also would seem to be an easy sticker to produce for FlashInstinct.

#674 47 days ago

I have the tower mod too and did not install it before sending my game to Chris Hutchins for the HEP treatment. Going to let him come up with something for the mod base and curious to see how it comes out once he gets to my game. I have faith that he will do something extraordinary as every HEP game is top notch.

#675 44 days ago

I am eagerly looking forward the the HEP Dredd build.

#676 38 days ago

I'd say its time to button this project up.

5J5A3237 (resized).JPG

Finally had a chance to swap out the buttons that were made to work with the correct style.

5J5A3320 (resized).JPG5J5A3319 (resized).JPG

I'll sort of miss the "Bet" button. . . but not enough to leave it on the machine.

#677 38 days ago

A couple of fun playfield pictures.

5J5A3255 (resized).JPG

5J5A3249 (resized).JPG

More to come. . .

#678 37 days ago

A few more pics as we get closer to spending more time playing vs. turning screws.

I used a couple of Comet's fire bulbs in the planet that give an orange glow effect. I also used an Ice Blue tower flasher in there -- its not too bright and contrasts nicely with the fire.

5J5A3313 (resized).JPG

The translucent targets definitely provide more light to what was a very dark area before. I'm rather happy with how they've turned out. I can also say they've taken a lot of hits with no issues.

5J5A3260 (resized).JPG

This is the first game I've taken pictures of that has significant wireforms and they provide some interesting shots.

5J5A3300 (resized).JPG

5J5A3305 (resized).JPG

I suppose I could install some spotlights to provide light in the center of the playfield, but overall I think we have improved our lighting situation considering our starting point.

5J5A3311 (resized).JPG

I have to say now that the game has had a once over I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. No pop bumpers are fine with me. . . but no spinner? I've barely missed it with the fast sweeping play all the ramps/wire forms provide. My shot up the left ramp is getting more consistent. I'm getting better at containing the Judges during multi-ball and even put Judge Death in his place a time or two. I might just have to hang onto this one for awhile. . . so much for trying to thin down the collection!

#679 37 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I used a couple of Comet's fire bulbs in the planet that give an orange glow effect.

Well that looks really good, going to have to try! I got to stop looking at this thread, you are costing me $$$. I have the ragefactory's cooling tower mod on the way too, its somewhere in the states now ...

#680 37 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Well that looks really good, going to have to try! I got to stop looking at this thread, you are costing me $$$.

Just a FYI -- the fire bulbs are much more "blinky" in real time. Manipulating the length of camera exposure gives the planet the glowing orange look. I still think they look good though.

#681 37 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

A few more pics as we get closer to spending more time playing vs. turning screws.
I used a couple of Comet's fire bulbs in the planet that give an orange glow effect. I also used an Ice Blue tower flasher in there -- its not too bright and contrasts nicely with the fire.
[quoted image]
The translucent targets definitely provide more light to what was a very dark area before. I'm rather happy with how they've turned out. I can also say they've taken a lot of hits with no issues.
[quoted image]
This is the first game I've taken pictures of that has significant wireforms and they provide some interesting shots.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I suppose I could install some spotlights to provide light in the center of the playfield, but overall I think we have improved our lighting situation considering our starting point.
[quoted image]
I have to say now that the game has had a once over I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. No pop bumpers are fine with me. . . but no spinner? I've barely missed it with the fast sweeping play all the ramps/wire forms provide. My shot up the left ramp is getting more consistent. I'm getting better at containing the Judges during multi-ball and even put Judge Death in his place a time or two. I might just have to hang onto this one for awhile. . . so much for trying to thin down the collection!

Wow, just gorgeous man.
Beautiful game, beautiful pictures.

#682 37 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

the fire bulbs are much more "blinky" in real time.

I went and checked out the fire bulb video on Comet's website, I see what you are saying but yes, still looks good. At just $2.95 per, worth trying.
BTW, your awesome camera skills show on all your work, I have one of your Fathom pics as my wallpaper

#683 37 days ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Beautiful game, beautiful pictures.

Quoted from ReadyPO:

BTW, your awesome camera skills show on all your work

You guys are too kind.

Here are a couple more for you.

First, are pinball selfies a thing? They should be!

5J5A3293 (resized).JPG

Fun with reflections. Thought it sounded better than fun with balls.

5J5A3280 (resized).JPG

5J5A3294 (resized).JPG

I liked that last one enough to post it again. . . with more background.

5J5A3294A (resized).JPG

Some of these pics may pop up in the Dredd Club Thread or Pinside Photography Thread -- just sayin'.

#684 36 days ago

I don't know why, but this thread is a mixture of cool mods, cool pictures, good taste... One of the best in Pinside.

#685 36 days ago
Quoted from Davi:

this thread is a mixture of cool mods, cool pictures, good taste... One of the best in Pinside.

I'd say that you have good taste, but I don't want to sound full of myself.

Seriously, I'm flattered by everyone's comments and compliments. Thank You!

2 weeks later
#686 17 days ago

I thought I better add a thread update.

I'm not quite done with Judge Dredd just yet; I'm waiting on a game enhancing super secret part to arrive. At this point I'm sure it is being held in customs quarantine. Hopefully it will arrive in my mailbox. . . sometime soon.

In the meantime I've decided to give a little attention to a player's condition Taxi I recently acquired. This game will not get its own "chapter," but I hope to freshen it up enough to play better for the next owner.

5J5A3413 (resized).JPG

Just getting into teardown now. I'm hoping I have enough parts on hand to shop it out with minimal expense. That's the goal anyway.

#687 17 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Just getting into teardown now. I'm hoping I have enough parts on hand to shop it out with minimal expense. That's the goal anyway.

I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty jealous of you and can’t stand to watch how you turn these machines into works of art. Your work I enjoy and thanks for posting and keeping us updated. I’m definitely stopping next Thanksgiving.

#688 13 days ago

Right.
Back to Judge Dredd.

An unassuming white box from a far away land arrived in the mail. Names/addresses blacked out to protect the innocent (or so we think). What could be inside???

5J5A3422 (resized).JPG

A hint -- hopefully an upgrade for. . .

5J5A3426 (resized).JPG

One more tease of what is inside.

5J5A3423 (resized).JPG

Stay Tuned.

#689 13 days ago

Oooh, I'll guess...crane mod!

#690 13 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Oooh, I'll guess...crane mod!

Pinsiders are so clever.

Before I post more pictures and details I need to take a minute to point out that Pinside has some very talented, intelligent, and generous people on the forum. I post now and again on several other forums (unthinkable, I know) and have made acquaintances with folks across the US and occasionally Canada. Pinside has given me the opportunity to get to know people beyond the continental US and make rewarding international friendships -- someday I hope to even travel and meet these great people in person.

One such talented individual is Davi from Hungary. We've messaged back and forth about various topics and I was honored when he asked if I would test a prototype of a new crane mod he was working on for Judge Dredd. The credit for design and manufacture all goes to him for what comes next in this thread -- I'm just lucky enough to have an example of his work to test fit to my machine.

So off with the bubble wrap. You can see that these bits are indeed designed to improve upon the original crane design.

5J5A3424 (resized).JPG

The "discs" are another clever design of his -- replacement Crane Lifter Wheels if yours has a blown out set screw.

A further breakdown of the individual pieces. There are two sets of truss work because we were trying to decide which looked better -- only one will be used.

5J5A3425 (resized).JPG

The next post will be a step by step installation of Davi 's new JD Crane Mod.

#691 13 days ago

Step One -- Remove the old plastic.

5J5A3427 (resized).JPG

To make installation of the fiddly bits easier I chose to remove the crane frame from the mount by removing the clip/horizontal pin. The black rectangle is a decal that is designed to cover the red coil wrapper. I did not know which part of the wrapper would be exposed at this point so I did not install it.

5J5A3429 (resized).JPG

Don't forget to disconnect your coil connector before pulling the crane frame from the game! Now is also a good time to give the metal bracket a good clean.

The first piece I chose to install is/was the Claw. The two halves separate by removing the screw and nut. I made sure to fit the LED wiring (if yours is so equipped) to the underside of the framework. In my situation it helped to have the nut that secures the magnet core/coil flat/flush with the back of the claw halves (vs. having one of the nut "points" touch the back of the claw). I realize this may not make sense -- I can post a better pic later or just see how the nut looks in the top view pic.

5J5A3438 (resized).JPG5J5A3439 (resized).JPG

Slide the two halves over the crane frame bracket and secure with the screw/nut.

5J5A3440 (resized).JPG

Wiring neatly tucked under the crane frame and secured in the clip.

5J5A3442 (resized).JPG

Add on the base crane frame cover next.

5J5A3447 (resized).JPG

Then one of the cool parts -- Davi took the time to 3D print the hydraulic cylinder in . . . well 3D naturally.

5J5A3446 (resized).JPG

Another cool part -- an actual truss framework to handle the weight of lifting those pinballs.

5J5A3448 (resized).JPG

Secured with the original screw.

5J5A3449 (resized).JPG

Then the most difficult part -- sneaking the wires back down into the playfield holes to the underside. I actually removed the Deadworld ring(s) to make the process easier.

5J5A3450 (resized).JPG

A view of where to plug the connectors in under the playfield.

5J5A3499 (resized).JPG

Fit the pin/clip back in to secure the crane arm bracket and . . .

#692 13 days ago

Are pictures better than words? Usually yes.

A quick reminder of before:

5J5A3426 (resized).JPG

Then after:

5J5A3454 (resized).JPG5J5A3473 (resized).JPG5J5A3474 (resized).JPG5J5A3479 (resized).JPG

Personally I think Davi did a fantastic job of adding detail and realism to the crane while preserving the look of the original design. Someone should hire him for this sort of stuff!

I'll try to get more detailed pictures later -- these were taken as proof of concept.

#693 13 days ago

Quick GIF anyone?

CraneGIF.gif

Fantastic Work Davi !!

#694 13 days ago

That looks terrific!

#695 13 days ago

That looks soooo much better than the original. I'd definitely be interested in one! Nice job!

#696 13 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Quick GIF anyone?
[quoted image]
Fantastic Work Davi !!

Looks amazing TDoc!
JD is such a great game. I honestly regret selling mine and am in constant consideration of picking it up again. In my opinion, the layout and shots are great...mixed with a cool theme and 90's humor...this game is just pure fun.
Watching this last restoration has been super.

#697 13 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Quick GIF anyone?
[quoted image]
Fantastic Work Davi !!

Wow! That looks awesome!

You are making me wish I had my JD back!

How much is the mod?

#698 12 days ago

Price?

I suspect a thread will be created in the near future by the mod's designer/creator that will have all the details.

#699 12 days ago

That does look really neat - looking forward to seeing this hit the market. Do you have a picture of the shorter truss frame installed? I think having the frame not go over the claw would look even better

#700 12 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Are pictures better than words? Usually yes.
A quick reminder of before:
[quoted image]
Then after:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Personally I think Davi did a fantastic job of adding detail and realism to the crane while preserving the look of the original design. Someone should hire him for this sort of stuff!
I'll try to get more detailed pictures later -- these were taken as proof of concept.

Thank you for detailed installation and for the nice words.
It's really good to see the result of my effort - my Judge Dredd is disassembled, still in many boxes...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
There are 734 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside