The Kruzman Pinball Museum, Eh? That sounds like a place worth visiting.
Worked on installing the playfield rails today. Before securing anything to the upper playfield surface I made sure to apply a good coat of Blitz Carnauba Wax to the playing surface. It will never be easier to get to all those hard to reach areas than right now!
Many months back I ordered a set of new wood rails from taylorva / Reese Rails. They have been patiently waiting in their tube. . . in hindsight I probably should have opened to tube on receipt and removed the shipping paper from the rails as it decided to stick to the finish. Live and learn.
So it goes when trying to install new aftermarket parts to a new aftermarket playfield -- mounting holes do not always line up. The CPR Playfield has holes pre drilled for the rails so the easiest solution is/was to clamp the rails in place and drill a pilot hole from below. The background is a bit busy, but hopefully you can see the rail clamped to the playfield.
Fathom is a game that incorporates ball guides to several of its side rails. New stainless ball guides were ordered from Mantis Amusements (also long ago -- website: https://mantispinball.com/ ). I removed the more complicated looking rail from the original playfield and compared original (top) to new/aftermarket (bottom).
Pieces looked to line up properly, so I plucked the mounting nails from the original rail, polished them, and secured the new guides to the new rail. Taylor uses hardwood for the new rails (I'm guessing oak) so the mounting nails did not go in easy. I actually drilled pilot holes in the rail which helped ease installation.
Those metal ball guides are secured to the playfield in addition to being nailed to the rails. So as not to damage Ron's clearcoat I chose to pre-drill the holes before securing the guides -- a process that will be repeated for every other hole that gets made into the new playfield surface. I first chose a bit that was the same diameter (or slightly larger) than the screw shank.
I ran the drill bit in reverse to cut thru the clearcoat layer.
A smaller bit was then used to make a pilot hole for the screw. The hole we are working in is farthest left in the white. The Mer-Lady appears to approve.
More patience of measuring, placing, drilling, etc. and before long all the rails were mounted.
5J5A2526 (resized).JPG5J5A2527 (resized).JPG
This will give me "legs" so I can begin mounting components to the playfield underside that need a bit of clearance. I know it would not be an issue if I was using a rotisserie. . . perhaps I'll graduate up to using one of those when the next project comes along.