Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 months ago

Made one major mistake buying a project at Pinfest without really checking everything and ended up with a Gottlieb Super Soccer (four player) body with a Gottlieb Soccer (two player) head.

Lesson learned for me.

The question now is can I make one work with the other? Both the playfield and BG are in great shape so I think it’s worth trying to save them.

Had anyone done something like this before?

Alberto

#2 11 months ago

1964 Williams head on 1975 Gottlieb body.
I'm thinking no way, but maybe someone knows a way.
Seems like you're going to be best off looking for someone who has/needs a matching head or body.

#3 11 months ago

I should have been more descriptive. The two parts are both Gotlliebs. The head is from a 1975 2-player Soccer, the body from a 1975 4-player Super Soccer. Playfields are identical, the logic is different.

It this was a Williams & Gottlieb mixup, that would be really bad.

Alberto

#4 11 months ago

Oh, my bad.
I noticed the Wms game linked above, and apparently it shouldn't be.
Making what you have work sounds more manageable.

#5 11 months ago

So you might be in luck
I think I know of a Super Soccer head w a Soccer body in FL for sale
I’ll shoot the owner a text

#7 11 months ago

That's an interesting problem. Not for the faint of heart, but seems doable with careful study first. You'll need copies (and copies of copies that you can mark up) of the schematics for both games.

A big issue might be getting the Player Unit (specifically the Add Player Unit solenoid) to behave properly since it will need to skip over the missing two players. If you're lucky most of that math is done in the head and might not be too tricky.

Another thing to consider is whether the jones plugs match. Since they're not documented you might need to verify pin counts and wire colors and possibly double check against the schematic to see if they're the same.

Then again, even if you get it working, documenting and maintaining what you end up with might be a challenge. Especially for the next owner.

/Mark

#8 11 months ago

Score reel reset is different, you need to add reset relays. Not an impossible task. And of course the player unit. Probably the hardest thing is finding out the Jones plug pinouts since they are not in schematic.

I once had a similar project, Top Score backbox and 300 body. But didn't have time or energy to match them and sold the project.

#9 11 months ago

I parted out a Super last year, it was a nasty mouse condo, but if you are looking for specific parts, might be able to help.

#10 11 months ago

That "oh no" moment when you realized something was amiss must have been a real bummer...

#11 11 months ago

So my friend has the same issue as yours!
How the hell does this happen? Lol.

#12 11 months ago

That is hilarious. Well, if I end up deciding to unravel this puzzle, maybe I can help your friend out too

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from Peruman:

That is hilarious. Well, if I end up deciding to unravel this puzzle, maybe I can help your friend out too

Too bad you both don't have the others, head and you could just do a swap! Maybe you can still find the right head with another project or on the missing head thread... Might be an interesting project to make it work though!

#14 11 months ago

I should mention that I bought the game thinking it was a Soccer not a Super Soccer. I owned a Soccer a couple years ago, sold it, then my family told me they loved playing it.

This was going to be the replacement. It probably will still be.

Alberto

#15 11 months ago

I consider this an intriguing problem, similar to the AAB/Novelty situation on Neptune that was the subject of a seminar at Pintastic 2022. (

)

For the player unit, you'd probably want to buy two of the cams that are specific to the 2-player configuration. I think they were red.

Do you have both schematics? Let me know by PM when you want me to come over and we can talk through the issues!
.................David Marston

#16 11 months ago
Quoted from dmarston:

For the player unit, you'd probably want to buy two of the cams that are specific to the 2-player configuration. I think they were red.

I think he has the 2 player head so the Player Unit should have the correct cams already.

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think he has the 2 player head so the Player Unit should have the correct cams already.

Oh, yeah. Then it was the comment about needing extra reset relays that was not relevant.

#18 11 months ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Oh, yeah. Then it was the comment about needing extra reset relays that was not relevant.

Yes, my mistake. The 4 player has reset relays.

#19 11 months ago

Quick update, called the vendor and sent them photos of the mix-up. They are a bigger operator out of Ohio, they are going to see if the corresponding Soccer body is with them.

Fingers crossed

If not, I’m going for the conversion. Why not?

1 week later
#20 11 months ago

Vendor got back to me, they have the correct base so we are going to swap my Super Soccer bottom for the correct Soccer bottom.

All is well.

Alberto

#21 11 months ago

You should snap detailed photos of all the connector plugs from the Super Soccer bottom, so we can compare them to the plugs from the Soccer bottom. That would be a way to get more detail about how big a project it would be. I expect that the playfield-to-lightbox connector is exactly the same layout of wires, and maybe one of the others could be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-mishap-super-soccer-body-with-a-soccer-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.