Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180319_190212_968 (resized).jpg
Image-0x2025.png
Image-0x2057.png
Image-0x2084.png
1401417022026.jpg
1401416983659.jpg
1401416936568.jpg
1401416910055.jpg
1401416788442.jpg

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

Let's get this all into one thread. Here is my idea...let's get together and make a plan to replace some of the bad character voices in X-Men. I immediately nominate Storm. I hate that pretentious, Shakespearean voice and delivery. I know Shitty Beast is a major issue for most. Phoenix is just dumb scripting.

We have 3 avenues for source material that I can think of: 1) Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game series, 2) Wolverine and the X-Men animated series, & 3) the movies. There should be ample lines of dialogue that can be lifted and ripped to a WAV file, and that I could edit to fit into the time parameters in the code. I have become comfortable with Pinball Browser, through working on ACDC and MET codes recently. In about 5 minutes today I located and noted all of the locations for Storm, Phoenix and Deadpool callouts.

I always liked the voice of Deadpool in Ultimate Alliance. I think Storm's was pretty good on there, too.

This will take work. It will take hunting down and watching some cartoons, and re-watching the movies (I volunteer to do this starting tonight - bought the full set of Wolverine & X-men Blu-Rays today - 6 movies: XM, X2, X3, First Class, Origins: Wolverine & The Wolverine - for $34.99 at Best Buy today....awesome deal!). If anyone knows the Ultimate Alliance games well enough to remember the call outs, chime in. But more importantly, if anyone knows of an existing source to locate any of these already pulled and out there in a usable format, let us know. Too much work will make this fail for sure.....but if we can spread it out, we can do it. We will devise a game plan, decide which voices need to be replaced, which source material to replace them with, and who is working on what to get this all done.

Who is in?

#2 4 years ago

I have ultimate alliance completed on my modded xbox. Beating the game allows you to go anywhere and talk to any character again to hear their quotes. I will go through tonight and see what good storm and deadpool quotes there are.
I dont remember too many since they are playable characters. Mostly secondary characters and villans had all the lines. But there are some.

I would love for this to happen.

#3 4 years ago

If we can get serious about it, there is no reason we can't do this and fix it once and for all.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I have ultimate alliance completed on my modded xbox. Beating the game allows you to go anywhere and talk to any character again to hear their quotes. I will go through tonight and see what good storm and deadpool quotes there are.
I dont remember too many since they are playable characters. Mostly secondary characters and villans had all the lines. But there are some.
I would love for this to happen.

The playable character stuff would be good, too. Almost every call out is 2 - 4.5 seconds. Don't need long lines of dialogue.

#5 4 years ago

I love this idea! I'll happily look for quotes to use.

#6 4 years ago

great thread. it almost needs to be from one source tho - like all from the movies, or all from animated series, etc. so they all mesh together and is recognizable.
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/x-men.htm
a few to look thru...

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

great thread. it almost needs to be from one source tho - like all from the movies, or all from animated series, etc. so they all mesh together and is recognizable.
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/x-men.htm
a few to look thru...

Agreed. Any one character will have to have all of the callouts replaced with new material from one source. So, if we all decide we want to replace Storm and we like the Halle Berry callouts, then we have to replace all of the Storm callouts in the game with Halle Berry Storm lines from the movies.

I am not at all opposed to just flat having someone record the same scripted lines (or lines we like instead) that has a more pleasing voice. I don't mind the "star and garters" stuff from Beast, if only it was in a growly, appropriate voice.

#8 4 years ago

yep.... not sure what they were thinking in the sound booth when they recorded them at Stern. I thought 24 was bad..... hehe.
I need to rewatch the movies myself. been a long time since I saw them. this weekend might be just the time.

#9 4 years ago

Xmen Movie (2000): Imdb database is great.

For when you hit wolverine: Logan: [finds Rouge stowing away in his trailer] Hey! What the hell are you doing?
Wolverine: Hey, bub, I'm not finished with you yet.
Wolverine: That tickles.

Lock Magneto multi-ball: Magneto: Ah, my brothers, welcome.

Hit Magneto during multiball: Cyclops: Storm, fry him!
Magneto: Oh yes! A bolt of lightning into a huge copper conductor. I thought you lived at a school?

Magneto: I have made the first move. That is all they know. Come, the UN summit is approaching. Time for our little test.

Start of Wolverine multi-ball: Dr. Jean Grey: [after examining Wolverine] The metal is an alloy called adamantium, supposedly indestructible. It's been surgically grafted to his entire skeleton.

After defeating Magneto: Magneto: You know this plastic prison of theirs won't hold me forever. The war is still coming, Charles. And I intend to fight it, by any means necessary.
Prof. Charles Francis Xavier: And I will always be there, old friend.

#10 4 years ago

Wolverine definitely says "You're a dick" in XM1, and "Fuck off" in First Class.

#11 4 years ago

Still looking great thread http://marvel.toonzone.net/xmen/download/. Wolverine sound clips http://loganfiles.com/w-sound.html. We gotta have a good theme song either from uncanny X-men

the movies
, or both :-)http://marvel.toonzone.net/xmen/download/http://www.mp3olimp.net/x-men-theme/

http://marvel.toonzone.net/xmen/download/x-mentheme.mp3

#12 4 years ago

[Cyclops doesn't know if Logan's an imposter]
Wolverine: Hey! It's me.
Cyclops: Prove it!
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclops: Okay.

#13 4 years ago

If you have the comics missions collected in ultimate alliance (which I do) you can get a couple of good quotes from deadpool. Storms are ok but not great. She just talks about being a orphan and meeting prof x. Deadpools are pretty good and some sentences could be used.
Here are pics of text, same as what the voice actors say.

1401416788442.jpg 1401416910055.jpg 1401416936568.jpg 1401416983659.jpg 1401417022026.jpg
#14 4 years ago

There is some real potential with the movie lines alone. Just have to watch our time limits. I can map every single callout by all characters, and make a database with Character, Line and Time Parameter Allowed. I will work on that, and let us all know what we have to play with, if others will start compiling a list of character quotes and trying to find the material in a usable format for the movie stuff.

#15 4 years ago

Deadpool has funny stuff in that game. If you read the comics, you know that Deadpool shouldn't be as on-point as he is on the machine. He should mostly speak in non-sequiturs and directly to you.

#16 4 years ago

I also have xmen legends 2. On my xbox. Patrick stewart voices prof x on it.

#17 4 years ago

We can make this awesome, just a matter of getting the material into WAV. I can edit anything for time in Audacity. Just need it in a format that works.

#18 4 years ago

I have a studio in my house and all the tools for making this work, feel free to ask me any questions regarding editing and formats I too want new call outs and will help in any way I can.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have a studio in my house and all the tools for making this work, feel free to ask me any questions regarding editing and formats I too want new call outs and will help in any way I can.

Cool. We will need your assistance in ripping these sounds into WAV cleanly.

#20 4 years ago

free software called "switch" by NCH can swap mp3 to wav to ogg or whatever real easy

#21 4 years ago

Now this is one thread worth reading. I wish I could help but am not skilled at these things

#22 4 years ago

Can you get clean VO from the movies? Seems like using game clips may be the safer bet for ripping quality audio sources without music and soundFX in the background.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Can you get clean VO from the movies? Seems like using game clips may be the safer bet for ripping quality audio sources without music and soundFX in the background.

Yeah, that is a good question

#24 4 years ago

I'm the best there is at what I do but what I do best isn't very nice. - Wolverine (Wolverine)

Do you know what happens to a toad when its struck by lighting. The same thing that happens to everyone else. - Storm (X-Men 1)

Sometimes, when you cage the beast, the beast gets angry. - Wolverine (X-Men 3)

You lost your money. You keep this up, you'll lose something else. (Wolverine - "X-Men").

You'll have to kill me Charles, and what would that accomplish? Let them pass that law and they'll have you in chains with a number burned into your forehead!

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer? (Professor X - "X-Men").

never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who's interested in you. (Magneto - "X2").

We were thinking, we’ll show you ours and you’ll show us yours. (Magneto - "X-Men: First Class").

I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again! (Magneto - "X-Men: First Class").

The Neanderthal is running scared my fellow mutants. (Magneto - "X-Men: First Class").

"You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different."

"Wow, somebodies angry" Storm (X2)

Professor X: Continue smoking that in here and you’ll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you’re a 6 year old girl.
Wolverine: You’d do that?
Professor X: I’ll have Jean braid your hair.

*"Are you Remy LeBeau?"
"Do I owe you money?"
"No."
"Then Remy LeBeau I am."

Wolverine / Gambit (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

Wolverine (to Prof. Xavier): What do they call you? "Wheels"?

Charles Xavier: Mankind is not evil, just... uninformed.

Wolverine: Got any beer?
Bobby: This is a school.
Wolverine: So that's a "no"?

Pyro: So, they say you're the bad guy.
Magneto: Is that what they say?

Shingen Yashida: What kind of monster are you?
Logan: The Wolverine!

#25 4 years ago

Game clips-

PinballFX X-men pinball has way better call outs.

Some of the quotes from the game like Iceman's ,"The Juggernaut? Like the Unstoppable Juggernaut?" , came from the animation series X-men in 2011 and some sound like they were ripped from the 90's animated series.

The Beast quotes, I don't know where those quotes came from as they do not match up with the above mentioned material. Sadly, Storm's voice does sound like it could be from the animated episodes and X-men cartoon.

Here are samples of Storm's voice

This is for the samples of the PinballFx pinball:

#26 4 years ago

Beast quotes are from old comic book material.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Beast quotes are from old comic book material.

I don't mind the quotes, it is the sound bites I was referring to. The voice actor is not the same from any of the series.

#28 4 years ago

Great idea! I'm so glad someone is finally doing this!

#29 4 years ago

Here's a list of 50 characters in the game.
1. Gambit
2. Beast (3 types)
3. Wolverine
4. Storm
5. Rogue
6. Xavier
7. Magneto
8. Cyclops
9. Iceman
10. Phoenix
11. Nightcrawler
12. Omega Red
13. Shadow King
14. Sentinel
15. Juggernaut
16. Sabertooth
17. Hellfire goons
18. Shaw
19. Emma Frost
20. Toad
21. Pyro
22. Blob
23. Avalanche
24. Mystique
25. Danger
26. Psylocke
27. Angel
28. Colossus
29. Jubilee
30. Sunfire
31. Havok
32. Cable
33. Forge
34. Quicksilver
35. Dark Phoenix
36. Deadpool
37. Kitty Pride
38. Sinister
39. Harry Leland
40. Donald Pierce
41. Selene
42. Apocalypse
43. Domino
44. Dazzler
45. Lockheed
46. Warpath
47. Marvel Girl
48. X-23
49.Weapon X Agent...Soldier/Contractor (during Weapon X mode)
50.Maverick/Weapon X Agent Zero (during Weapon X mode)

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I don't mind the quotes, it is the sound bites I was referring to. The voice actor is not the same from any of the series.

Agreed. Beast is a nerdy character, and he talks like that. But you would expect his voice to be a bit gruff, and not so........something. That is the one character that I would be okay finding someone to record the same script, just with a better voice for it.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

There is some real potential with the movie lines alone. Just have to watch our time limits. I can map every single callout by all characters, and make a database with Character, Line and Time Parameter Allowed. I will work on that, and let us all know what we have to play with, if others will start compiling a list of character quotes and trying to find the material in a usable format for the movie stuff.

This project will make this game even more badass than it already is.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Agreed. Beast is a nerdy character, and he talks like that. But you would expect his voice to be a bit gruff, and not so........something. That is the one character that I would be okay finding someone to record the same script, just with a better voice for it.

Yep, just my opinion, the animated series had a great beast voice, and so did Kelsy Grammer.

#33 4 years ago

I was also going to suggest Pinball FX 2 as a possible source. The voices are pretty good and there is both an X-men and a Wolverine table. Not sure if you'd be able to find the audio files directly on the Steam version, otherwise you might be able to turn down the music and sound effects to 0 and get some clean recordings. You might also try messing with the operator settings in order to make it easier to do all the modes and trigger the speech.

Good luck regardless. If you guys pull thiss off you might increase the going rate for XM.

#34 4 years ago

OK, progress. I have mapped every Shitty Beast callout in the game. There are 23 of them, seperated into 4 request categories - meaning that there is a randomizer built in that rolls through quotes for some predetermined situation (i.e. I can adjust which quotes are used for starting his mode, for finishing his mode, for the lab explosion quotes, etc...)

So, I took a quick look at X-Men: The Last Stand quotes for Hank McCoy (Beast). These would be in Kelsey Grammer's voice, mind you......

1) My boy, I have been fighting for mutant rights since before you had claws.

2) Hank McCoy, Secretary of Mutant Affairs.

3) As Churchill said, there comes a time when every man must.......(hits a bad guy and dodges another).....oh, you get the point! --- I can edit the extraneous unexplained sounds out of this one ---

4) Have you even begun to think what a slippery slope you're on?!?!

5) Oh my stars & garters!

6) A major pharmaceutical company has developed a mutant anti-body -- a way to suppress the mutant "X" gene.

7) Not all of us can fit in so easily. You don't shed on furniture.

That is not enough material to completely replace the 23 callouts on the machine. But, it is Kelsey Grammer. Why not go find other clips of his voice from the dozens of other material sources out there for him? I bet there are some funny Frasier Crane lines from Cheers and Frasier that we could use. We are talking 1 and 2 second drops here. Simple stuff that has to be lifted, and that would not obviously be another character, or even identifiable as to where it came from. We just need continuity in the voice, no?

#35 4 years ago

Looks like there are looks of sites out there that have Frasier WAVs already ripped and ready.

Searching now.

#36 4 years ago

This thread makes me want to find a Magneto LE.

#37 4 years ago

Xmen sucks real bad, but I'd recommend seeing if you can get the old code music track back in the game too. It was the music from the initial code release (ball 1 music right when you started game), was really good IMO and then they changed it.

#38 4 years ago

Hmmm......I am running into the background noise/music issue on a lot of these sound clips. Going to have to get around that. Any way we can mix that out?

If existing sound drops won't work, then I am going to try just recording new voices on the same or similar scripts.

#39 4 years ago

Yeah...if you are looking for Beast callouts that are gruff and growly.....I think you will be looking a long time and be looking for the wrong thing. I hate shitty Beast (the voice in the pin) as much as anyone, but it's not because it isn't growly enough. It's because bad voice acting is bad.

I don't mind the Deapool callouts in the pin, but I was also going to point out there was a Deadpool game released about a year ago. I don't know how you would get voice clips from a game (especially if the callouts are done at random times during the game), but I can tell you the Deadpool game has some crazy funny voice work in it.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Xmen sucks real bad, but I'd recommend seeing if you can get the old code music track back in the game too. It was the music from the initial code release (ball 1 music right when you started game), was really good IMO and then they changed it.

It's still in the game code, just unused like a ton of animations and collouts that they stopped using and never re-purposed.

I notice that whenever I'm posting on an X-Men thread and thinking about the game development...I always go back to the "banging head against a wall" emoji.

#41 4 years ago

I fully support this project. I wanted to do this with Batman, but the voices killed the game for me and I sold it before II made the effort

#42 4 years ago

Can you get a cleaner source from a 5.1 mix? Center channel may have more isolated dialogue. I don't own any of the movies but I can play around with my home theater setup to see if this is the case.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

It's still in the game code, just unused like a ton of animations and collouts that they stopped using and never re-purposed.
I notice that whenever I'm posting on an X-Men thread and thinking about the game development...I always go back to the "banging head against a wall" emoji.

If there is something that is already in that code that you want used, just tell me what. It is easy enough to put that back where you want it. I don't remember which song was the one that played first in the original code.

#44 4 years ago

This will be awesome, though some of the quotes are so bad and over acted they are good.

-c

#45 4 years ago

I use to watch this show all the time when I was really young. If this theme song was anywhere in the pin, I would mess my pants. I havnt played xmen much so I guess it could be in there already, but I doubt it.

#46 4 years ago

I love that theme song. Put that in that would be awesome.

#47 4 years ago

Stuff to pick through from MvC3.

#48 4 years ago

There are some Storm callouts in there that are absolutely better. We can use that. The usable stuff starts about a minute and a half in or so. Now, I need that whole string in a format I can edit in Audacity.

I will listen to them all when I get a little time later, but these are promising.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

If there is something that is already in that code that you want used, just tell me what. It is easy enough to put that back where you want it. I don't remember which song was the one that played first in the original code.

If you do that with pinball browser you are going to have to overwrite something else. My point is that there are unused music, animations and callouts that can't be used without taking away something else. I don't really prefer one set of music to the other, but using them both (since they are both written, recorded and in the software) would have been nice.

As it is, they just pointed the programing code away from these callouts, animations and songs.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

There are some Storm callouts in there that are absolutely better. We can use that. The usable stuff starts about a minute and a half in or so. Now, I need that whole string in a format I can edit in Audacity.
I will listen to them all when I get a little time later, but these are promising.

Yeah...not having any background noise is bound to make those clips cleaner and easier to use. Too bad every game doesn't have a sound test menu where you can listen to all of the sound clips.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canyon Country, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ocean City, MD
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
$ 50.00
Sale Pending!
St. Marys, PA
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside