6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bingo.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Has anyone ever been to or competed in a real PAPA tournament?

#3 6 years ago

I've been to a few... okay, 12. What questions do you have?

#4 6 years ago

That's awesome man!
    What's the normal itinerary for the tourneys?
    What’s the most amazing thing you have seen at one?
    Have you met Keith Elwin or Adam Becker?
    How’s the Scott Township area?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Benwithapin:

I KNOW he has met Bowen!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Benwithapin:

Hint: "bkerins" would be a cool nickname for... let's say... Bowen Kerins, former World Pinball Champion and tournament director for Pinburgh... just sayin'.

#7 6 years ago

for real? or is this a poser?

#8 6 years ago

dude...if y'all are serious. my mind is blown. Bowen is that you?
    can you mail me your autograph? LOL!

#9 6 years ago

can you mail me your autograph? LOL!

Serious.

bingo.jpg

#10 6 years ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Benwithapin:

That's awesome man!
    What's the normal itinerary for the tourneys?
    What’s the most amazing thing you have seen at one?
    How’s the Scott Township area?

I went to Pinburgh last year. The most amazing thing I saw is they put steak and french fries on SALAD in Pittsburgh.

Since you live in the Bay Area, why don't you come out for a tourney (pinballbayarea.com)? There is also a league in SF now: sfpins.org. Andrei Masskenkoff, who won PAPA in 2011, comes to a lot of local events.

#18 6 years ago

We should dedicate this thread to Bowen Kerins...

#19 6 years ago

I think you already have. I also think you may have scared him away!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from sanFran49ers:

Quoted from Benwithapin:

Yes, it's Bowen. Click on posts on his avatar and you'll see. Bowen is the tournament organizer for CAX. If you want to meet him, just go to CAX. Be advised that he spreads himself pretty thin at the show. If he's busy, leave him alone. If you compete in the tournament, that will help your chances of getting a word with him. Ask him why his initials (AJK) don't include a B (owen).

The weird thing about Scott Township is that everything is made of bricks. The houses, all the buildings, even the sidewalks and streets. When they were building the city, there must have been a sale on bricks at Home Depot. If that area ever has a major earthquake, the whole place will be leveled in minutes. (i'm also a left coaster d

#21 6 years ago

AJK are his son's initials aren't they?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If that area ever has a major earthquake, the whole place will be leveled in minutes.

I can think of one particular brick building that everyone would be happy to see levelled.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I think you already have. I also think you may have scared him away!

agreed. Its like the "girls play pinball" thread that ended up a bunch of dudes being creepy towards each other.

#24 6 years ago

He looked at this thread and this is what he said:

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from sanFran49ers:

It's actually "poseur" and no, he's not one!

#26 6 years ago

I love how (at around 1:25) the hot interviewer moves in on Bowen when he tells her how much cash he got at his first big tourney win.

#27 6 years ago

The most amazing thing I've seen is probably Elwin's 100+ million comeback on Addams to win PAPA 11. He played the best Thing Multiball I've ever seen. (Sadly that same multiball cost me $4,500.)

There are plenty more amazing things, but that's about as clutch as it gets.

#28 6 years ago

almost every year for the past 8 years. Now with pinburgh, i'm there twice a year.

First year at PAPA for me, I watched bowen get LITZ on TZ in the one handed mini tourney.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The most amazing thing I've seen is probably Elwin's 100+ million comeback on Addams to win PAPA 11. He played the best Thing Multiball I've ever seen. (Sadly that same multiball cost me $4,500.)

No way... our Getaway match at CAEX!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

That was definitely epic.

His AFM game at Pinburgh was insane as well.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

almost every year for the past 8 years. Now with pinburgh, i'm there twice a year.
    First year at PAPA for me, I watched bowen get LITZ on TZ in the one handed mini tourney.

That is insane.

#32 6 years ago

i just wanted to say thanks to bowen for all the game play videos. i really enjoy them. please keep em coming.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

i just wanted to say thanks to bowen for all the game play videos. i really enjoy them. please keep em coming.

Keep em coming Bowen ;o)

#34 6 years ago

Birdman!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Is this the footage or was it something else?

#36 6 years ago

eh..... birdman needs some work. Not sure if we're going to use it or not. There's some sunken inserts that need some magic.

Also, why are you posting this and not on a plane to Louisville? This event is outstanding. 15 games in the bank and tons of room to spread out. Plus they have a whole table of apple 2e's playing oregon trail and lemonade stand 10 seconds away from the tournament. Where else can you experience that?

#37 6 years ago

Has any one ever been a professional pinball player?....like make a living off just pinball...I would be surprised. But if ever someone could it would be Jedi Master Bowen. You da man BK

#38 6 years ago

PICS MHS WE DEMAND PICS

Mm, Getaway match at CAX 1997. Elwin and I both beat the loop champ record on Getaway in all three games of the best-of-3; that includes beating our own records from games 1 and 2. I can't remember if he or I won, but the last game we each hit Redline Mania at least twice.

I think I lost, I seem to lose a lot to KME, including a 90-million comeback for him on NASCAR at Pinball Expo whenever that came out.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Has any one ever been a professional pinball player?....like make a living off just pinball...I would be surprised.

Add up all the tournaments in one year. Add up all you could win if you took first place in each one.

Does it even cover travel and hotel rooms ? Not likely.

And hustling $5 a game on the street won't add up either.

LTG : )

#40 6 years ago

Actually, that would be a pretty nice income if you could, in fact, win everything.

Quoted from LTG:

Add up all the tournaments in one year. Add up all you could win if you took first place in each one.
    Does it even cover travel and hotel rooms ? Not likely.
    And hustling $5 a game on the street won't add up either.
    LTG : )

#41 6 years ago

I once saw Bowen do a death save on the left outlane of Nascar! He is the man!

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from caylegeorge:

Actually, that would be a pretty nice income if you could, in fact, win everything.

Winning all 10 of the PAPA Circuit events would get you around $29,000, not including Classics. Add in IFPA and the large number of other tournaments, and an insanely skilled crusher could have earned over $50,000 in winnings over the last 12 months.

Beats hustling for $5 a game, 30 games a night for the entire year.

I once saw KME do a death slam on Star Wars Trilogy! Hm, it might have been someone else.

#43 6 years ago

what the hell is a death slam? Is that when you take the game and pick it up above your head and smash it into a million pieces? If so, he couldnt' have picked a better game to pull it off on.

#44 6 years ago

I just recently heard that Bowen will be doing a 'how to play pinball' tutorial for the goers of PAX EAST later this month!

That is awesome! What an EXCELLENT place to get pinball out to the masses! The Penny-Arcade Expo people have a HUUUGE following and I'm thrilled that so many will be exposed to pinball in Boston this year.

Way to go!

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/how-to-play-pinball

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.00
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 9.95
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 259.99
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside