Production Life cycle question (Stern)

By chucksmith

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the pinball scene & and am enjoying my 1st pinball machine (Ghostbusters).
As I ponder a 2nd pinball machine in my future I was wondering...

What is the typical production life cycle for any given Stern machine. For example: How long can we expect Stern to produce Ghost Busters or Batman 66 (BM66) machines? Are they produced for years or is it more like 1 year and then Stern moves on the next release?

#2 7 years ago

Its a little bit of a complex situation.

Each machine usually has a negotiated timed license. Which means they can make the machine until that license expires. Stern also makes games pretty much to order. Meaning their distributors take pre-orders and maybe order more based on demand. That demand will dictate whether a game will be put back on the manufacturing line again.

So if a game is popular, it means they will keep making them until the license expires and then maybe renegotiate an extension (unlikely). Other games don't really sell all that well and they end up not even making all the LEs. If their distributors are sitting on unsold NIBs, its unlikely to get run again even if they have the license for another 3 years.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks DrStarkweather,

It sounds like waiting a year past the initial excitement can be a bit risky with a title such as Batman66.
I was looking at the Stern game archive section . I see some games are marked as soldout while others appear to still have a price tag on them.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

It sounds like waiting a year past the initial excitement can be a bit risky with a title such as Batman66.

I don't think waiting a year is crazy if you are happy with a premium instead of an LE. You can always at least wait until their NEXT game is out and the lions share of hype/NEWness has worn off. You also might get the opportunity to grab one second hand from all the 'Buy Everything' crowd once that newness wears off.

#5 7 years ago

Also, don't forget you can probably pick up a lightly-used machine even after it's out of production.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Historically, your risk is actually very low waiting a year. I think it's highly unlikely you'll have a problem getting B66 a year later. There's usually only a rush if you want an LE. In some cases, there's not even a rush for those. I'd be surprised if B66 wasn't produced for 2 or 3 years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/production-life-cycle-question-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.