Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinChicago
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Naphtha.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2651

Ok, so I had to place an order with pinball life and I saw this rubber cleaner and thought I would give it a try. All my games have white rubber and it always bothers me when they get dirty / grey looking. I've used novus 1 which works ok but requires a lot of rubbing. Anyway, I just used some to lightly shop out TSPP and DAMN does this stuff work like magic! White rubbers came out looking like brand new. Cleaned flipper rubbers, posts, and blue nubs great. Only problem is that I have to do the rest now. Great Product.

#2 11 years ago

It works better than simple green or even rubbing alcohol? Novus is awful for cleaning rubber...

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It works better than simple green or even rubbing alcohol? Novus is awful for cleaning rubber...

It worked better than simple green..... I never tried rubbing alcohol because I thought it would dry out the rubber? Give it a try, I'm glad I did

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

It worked better than simple green..... I never tried rubbing alcohol because I thought it would dry out the rubber? Give it a try, I'm glad I did

I'll order some. Thank you for the report

#6 11 years ago

I'll second this one...picked up a bottle this week and I was stunned how well it worked.

#7 11 years ago

The stuff works great. Little bit on a Qtip and your pin will look so much cleaner.

#8 11 years ago

Great product indeed, got a bottle2-3months ago, love it!

#9 11 years ago

I like to use 1/4 denatured alcohol, and 3/4 rubbing alcohol mixed in a 1 quart bottle. One swipe with a paper towel, or lint free rag and it's like new. I can't say that this mixture had a drying affect on the rubber, as I had been cleaning the same game rubbers for 3 years.

#10 11 years ago

Im tempted to try it but 91% on a q-tip has worked great so far.

#11 11 years ago

This is all you will ever need and it can be purchased at your local hardware store. My only regret after getting it was not getting it sooner because it is amazing how good it works. It's great for cleaning metal too and evaporates in seconds.

Naphtha.JPGNaphtha.JPG

#12 11 years ago

I too picked some up from pinball life this week. Best cleaner for rubber I've seen so far. Works amazing.

#13 11 years ago

Just put in my order w/ Terry.

#14 11 years ago

I agree with the Naphtha usage for rubber cleaning. Actually i use lighter fluid (which is the same thing), available at any grocery or party store for $1 to $2 a bottle. Not that it's worse or better than other products (actually i haven't found anything better for cleaning rubber!), but it's amazingly available and inexpensive. Also does not harm playfield finishes (old or new), and is a great degreaser too when you need that.

To order a special product for cleaning rubber doesn't make sense to me personally, as the Naphtha has lots of uses from removing grease, prep'ing playfields for clearcoat, to cleaning rubber, etc. I would rather have one thing that works great, then to have a bunch of different products that do essentially all the same thing.

#15 11 years ago

Naphtha is the wrong thing to put on rubber. It will harm the plasticizers in the rubber leading to early replacement. Naphtha is also flammable and has a level of toxicity.

#16 11 years ago

I've been using Naptha to clean rubber for 20 years. i have some games that i re-rubbered 20 years ago, still have the same rubber on them, and i've been cleaning them religiously for that same 20 year period with naptha (rubber still looks brand new.) So that's just incorrect. Also all the official rubber cleaners that i have tried are essentially naphtha. so again, the real life data doesn't confirm that data in any way shape or form.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I've been using Naptha to clean rubber for 20 years. i have some games that i re-rubbered 20 years ago, still have the same rubber on them, and i've been cleaning them religiously for that same 20 year period with naptha (rubber still looks brand new.) So that's just incorrect. Also all the official rubber cleaners that i have tried are essentially naphtha. so again, the real life data doesn't confirm that data in any way shape or form.

Might be possible that these new gooey white rubbers have different stuff in them that might be vulnerable to attack from these chemicals?

I'll let you know in 20 years. I've been cleaning mine with 91% alcohol too, lol.

#18 11 years ago

Oh, pfff, you naptha guys probably use mill wax too......

#19 11 years ago

Do you know how this works as compared to, say, CP-100?

I may pick some up the next time I order parts.

Thanks!

#20 11 years ago

Cool,thanks for the info

#21 11 years ago

This stuff does work very well. The non-toxic/100% plant based thing made me want to give it a shot. I don't normally go out of my way to try stuff like this, but anytime I can get rid of foul-smelling, toxic stuff like RC-88 rubber ring cleaner (which I've used forever, and also works great), why not?

#22 11 years ago

I use a number of cleaners, but the one I get the most use out of is W/D 40 a little on the corner of a rag and wipe clean

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I use a number of cleaners, but the one I get the most use out of is W/D 40 a little on the corner of a rag and wipe clean

WD 40 just makes the machine more dirty. It is like a magnet for dirt and grime. It does not evaporate like alcohol and the oil probably reacts with the rubber and destroys it.

#24 11 years ago

WD40 should be kept far away from pinball machines.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

WD40 should be kept far away from pinball machines.

Yo dug, you ain't never lied!

#26 11 years ago

I agree....wd-40 and pinball machine DON"T mix

#27 11 years ago

WD-40 is one of those things that does a lot of things ok but nothing well. In just about every application of wd-40 theres something that works much better. Ive had the same can for 10 years. I just dont use it for anything. It seems like I always have something that works better for every task that comes up. If it gets used around here its because my wife grabs it to fix a squeaky door. Then in a week when the door starts squeaking again i grab a product that works and fix it for good. And yes wd-40 and pins dont mix.

#28 11 years ago

Natural Rubber, silicone, and epdm for example are elastomers that are indeed effected by naphtha. That being said there are also rubbers that are ok with Naptha such as Nitrile and Buna. Pick up any O-ring elastomer technical data book and it will list who is good with what. However it is not very easy to know what elastomer was used in your rubber kit. If you stay on the side of safety for you and possibly incompatible elastomers it would be a good idea to avoid Naptha. It is still Toxic and flammable don't take my word for it read all about it from our friends at wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

#29 11 years ago

I understand your concern about Naphtha, but my real life data doesn't follow that at all. I use Naphtha EVERY DAY to clean rubber. I fix over 500 games a year, and on every one, I use Naphtha to clean the rubber. That's a lot of rubber cleaning, and on a big assortment of different brands of rubber. I also "collect" rubber (i have a large assortment of different NOS rubber brands and types, collected over the last 15 years), and find different brands work better/worse in certain games. I have about 10,000 rubbers rings in stock at any time. So i'm pretty versed in rubber types, and I've found that naptha works great to clean all of them. Also rubber pinball rings are not natural rubber. In fact I don't believe they contain any (or very little) natural rubber.

The bottom line is this... keeping rubber dirty sets up a chemical reaction that degrades the rubber. Using naphtha (or pretty much any other decent cleaning product mentioned in this thread, except wd40) to clean the rubber is going to extend its life. Again i've used just about all the rubber cleaning products over the years, and lighter fluid (naphtha) is by far the best, most readily available, easiest to use, and cheapest. It leaves the rubber clean and bouncy (assuming the rubber hasn't degraded too much due to dirt and UV light.)

The application may also be a factor. I squirt a little on the edge of a folded paper towel, and wipe the dirt off the rubber. That's it, quick and easy.

On wd40, i would also avoid this on rubber. after the solvent in wd40 evaporates, it leaves a gummy reside behind. I think it's the solvents in the wd40 that's cleaning the rubber, but the other junk in wd40 that gets left behind is what would concern me. So in my eye, avoid the leftovers, and just use the solvents to clean.... Naphtha!

1 year later
    #30 10 years ago

Another "thumbs up" for Pinball Life's Pinguard Rubber Cleaner. There are no petroleum products in it so it won't dry out rubber rings. Try it and you won't be disappointed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/product-review-pinguard-rubber-cleaner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.