JMS_3839.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5640.JPG
IMG_5639.JPG
IMG_5648.JPG
IMG_5645.JPG
#1 10 years ago

LEDWholesalers.com has two products that can replace the flourescent tube in your Stern backbox.

The Warm White tube (3100-3400K) is $24:
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=966

The Neutral White tube (4100-4500K) is $22:
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=956

I'll abbreviate these as 3100K and 4100K. I ordered 2 of each to try them out on my Sterns, which set me back about $100. Here's a quick summary of the pros and cons:

Pros:
* They turn on in about 1/2 second.
* The ballast is bypassed, so they should produce less heat.
* They use about 50% less power, and should last much longer.
* The 3100K tube is warmer and about 10% dimmer than the flourescent tube. This works well for translites with skin tones, such as LOTR.
* The 4100K tube is an almost perfect match for color and brightness

Cons:
* Light dispersion is not quite as good as flourescent.
* Wiring must be modified before installation.

I'll go over the installation next.

#2 10 years ago

Here's the lineup with LED tubes. Metallica and LOTR got 3100K tubes; Avatar and CSI looked better with 4100K because they have a lot of blue in them.

The photos exaggerate the difference in brightness between the middle and edges of the translite; this is not really noticeable in person.

IMG_5645.JPGIMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5648.JPGIMG_5648.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Installation:

The wiring diagram on the LEDWholesalers website is wrong, but the tubes come with the correct diagram. It's only necessary to wire one side of the tube to 120V AC ("line" and "neutral"). I found it easiest to run power to the left side pillar, since it already has one wire directly from the connector. All we need to do is connect the other side to the black wire, and disconnect the other pillar entirely.

1. Cut the two wires coming out of the ballast, and cut the black-and-white wire at a location near the ballast. It should look like the first picture below.

2. Tape back the 2 black wires coming out of the ballast; these are no longer used.

3. Connect the black wire to the cut side of the black-and-white wire that leads down the left side. It should look like the second picture below.

IMG_5639.JPGIMG_5639.JPG

IMG_5640.JPGIMG_5640.JPG

#4 10 years ago

The 4100K tube comes with a clever device that they call an "LED starter". This replaces the fluorescent starter, and it shorts the connection between the 2 lug sockets. Unfortunately the 3100K tube does NOT come with this, so I had to modify the wiring shown above. Basically you're just trying to get 120-130V AC on the left pillar.

IMG_5642.JPGIMG_5642.JPG

IMG_5641.JPGIMG_5641.JPG

#5 10 years ago

In summary: I'm happy with the change, but a little disappointed. They are not "instant on", but they're close enough at around 1/2 second. My Metallica, in particular, sometimes took 5-10 seconds for the old tube to come on. It probably just needed a new starter, but I like the LED tube because it's a "permanent" solution.

I hope you enjoyed this review.

#6 10 years ago

Very Interesting. Ive been waiting for one of the big LED sellers to start selling these as well.

Thanks for the detailed write up and putting in the time and leg work. I may start converting the Arcades Fluorescents in all the video games at some point.

JJ

#7 10 years ago

I've used LED similar tubes(4ft) to light some of my wife's artwork from behind with good results.

Couple of things, though...

Nothing is "permanent" as you are stating. LEDs do go bad.

I think that fluorescent lighting in a backbox is bad to begin with. The light is not dispersed very well, and as evident in your photos, the LEDs are much, much worse in this aspect.

One solution would to mount two LED tubes on each side(or top and bottom) and have them pointing at each other instead of towards the player. You can even find(if you search hard enough) dimmable LED tubes if you want to alter the light output with a dimmer switch.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LEE:

Couple of things, though...
Nothing is "permanent" as you are stating. LEDs do go bad.

Definitely true for cheaper LED products (like these). I replaced all of my home's can lights about 4 years ago with Cree LED lights, and haven't had any fail yet.

Quoted from LEE:

I think that fluorescent lighting in a backbox is bad to begin with. The light is not dispersed very well, and as evident in your photos, the LEDs are much, much worse in this aspect.

I debated whether to post these pics, as they really do exaggerate the poor dispersion. If they actually looked like they did in the pics, I'd stick with fluorescent.

I wouldn't recommend doing this mod; there's not enough in the "Pro" column to offset the time and cost. I'd love to put light panels in all of my games, and will probably try something like that at some point.

#9 10 years ago

Based on a couple of photos above, it looks like it needs TWO LEDs in each backbox.

#10 10 years ago

I'll try to take better photos tonight with my good camera.

#11 10 years ago

Very interested in this topic but for a different application. What about to light up your game room or for other use how do these compare to regular T8's? I just starting buying the LED e27 home use spotlights in 9-15w range and I love them for most bulb replacements. My next plan was to look into t8's for the basement and garage. I did some searching but not a lot of feedback or reviews that I could find. Any info or link would be great. My LED obsession was started due to pinball. Did LED's success in their pinball machines cause them to start on the rest of the house like me?

#12 10 years ago

I looked at T8 LED tubes for my workshop, but nothing came close to the brightness of a standard 4' fluorescent tube. Also, I have 8 of them so it would have been pretty expensive.

I converted my home's recessed lighting to LED at a time when I despised LEDs in pins (I'm more open-minded now). I think of them as completely different beasts.

EDIT: I highly recommend these:

http://www.polar-ray.com/Cree-CR6-800L-_p_399.html

They pay for themselves in 3-4 years (in my house), and they have a 4-year warranty. I love never having to replace a bulb, and I don't yell at my family anymore (about lights).

#13 10 years ago

Thanks, that was helpful. I will lower priority for this and expectations.

#14 10 years ago

I have a lot more sympathy for people trying to post a good picture of games with LEDs now.

I've tried altering the aperture to try to get a better representation of what my eye is actually seeing, but this is as close as I could get. It's really not dim at the edges when you look at it in person. Very strange.

JMS_3839.JPGJMS_3839.JPG

7 months later
#15 9 years ago

Wow - I wish I found this thread before I ordered.

So I have a RFM with a bad lamp and cant seem to find the problem, so I'm going with an LED tube.

I found:

http://www.creativelightings.com/T8-LED-Tube-Light-18-Inch-120LED-7W-SMD-p/cl-smdt8-1f45dw-7w-120.htm

Tube is 26.95, free shipping, with "LED" starter out of Ohio. I ordered the 5500K "Day" lamp. Cant wait to see how it works out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 149.00
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/product-review-led-wholesalers-t8-led-tubes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.