4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0BEF8824-E821-449E-9523-BB159D4EA21B (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I got a color led display and I installed in Tommy and when I powered the pin on, the display was scrambled and the sound had static and went in and out. I checked my work and all was good but still did not work properly. I put the old display back in and it mostly works but one line is a little flaky and the sound goes in and out and gets a lot of static especially when the propellers are spinning. Any ideas of what may have gone wrong?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I got a color led display and I installed in Tommy and when I powered the pin on, the display was scrambled and the sound had static and went in and out. I checked my work and all was good but still did not work properly. I put the old display back in and it mostly works but one line is a little flaky and the sound goes in and out and gets a lot of static especially when the propellers are spinning. Any ideas of what may have gone wrong?

Didn't hook the ground wires to metal on the speaker panel again? Loose connection? Really hard to say without nice clear pictures of your two installs...

#3 4 years ago

Here is a picture of how I currently have it installed

0BEF8824-E821-449E-9523-BB159D4EA21B (resized).jpeg0BEF8824-E821-449E-9523-BB159D4EA21B (resized).jpeg
    #4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Here is a picture of how I currently have it installed[quoted image]

The whole speaker panel, not just the middle. You can break it up if you have to. Also the backbox where the wires are going.

#5 4 years ago

My issues with Tommy turned out to be a blown fuse on the power supply. Phew! Anyways, I wound up putting the color display in my family guy and its going to be hard to take it out, probably going to break into my pin funds for another color display. One question still though, I have a crackling in the speakers and this was present previously. Should the speakers be grounded to the ground braid as well as the display? It has flipper fidelity speakers in there that were on it when I got it.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Should the speakers be grounded to the ground braid as well as the display?

The metal speaker frame needs to be grounded for safety. I don't think it will help the crackling, that could be the digital volume pot.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problems-with-tommy-after-color-dmd-install and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.