Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by bssbllr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F05C55B2-F851-4FCF-A991-0469A3E38133 (resized).jpeg
B3D0A359-333A-4530-ACA4-1DCA2C0B78E8 (resized).jpeg

#1 11 months ago

Hopefully someone here can help! I have my dad's old Terminator 2 pinball machine which I'm trying to get working. From memory it used to work fine, but then sat for ~10 years and now there are some issues.

The machine powers on fine, and plays ok, however most of the solenoids don't work! The flippers work, everything lights up, and it launches balls (if you place the ball in the launcher manually - it won't kick one out).

I opened it all up, checked all the fuses are OK, and eyeballed all the connectors etc. Everything looks OK.

Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this machine.

It's all original, unmodded.

#2 11 months ago

First go to the switch test and test that all switches are working. After that, go into the solenoid test mode and see if they are working.

If the solenoids are not firing in test mode, I would begin by diagnosing your power driver board.

Check all the connectors visually, and then test for continuity from the connectors. Next, I would pull all the fuses from the power driver board and check them outside of the machine. If they are all fine, then you'll have to remove the power driver board

I would check for cold solder joints at the back of the board and then check all of the transistors. Here is a good guide.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Solenoid.2C_Flasher.2C_and_Motor_problems

Good luck.

#3 11 months ago

Did you check/replace the batteries that are in there to maintain memory, after the ten years of sitting?
Check those immediately if you haven't. Old batteries can leak, with the leakage causing nasty corrosion. Corrosion on the circuit boards can cause all sorts of strange problems.

#4 11 months ago

I've tested all the switches and they work.

Only the following solenoids fired in test mode; 7, 9, 12, 15 and 16.

While inspecting it I noticed a number of wires have been cut under the playfield - see attached picture. Is there any reason this would be done??? Or is it the problem?

Lucky the batteries hadn't leaked, and have been replaced.

F05C55B2-F851-4FCF-A991-0469A3E38133 (resized).jpeg
#5 11 months ago

Yeah that's not good. Certainly this is the cause. The cuts look clean and not like they were chewed up. I don't see why anyone would cut them that way, as doing this to prevent a fuse blowing doesn't seem at all reasonable.

Luckily you can color match them and patch them up.

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Tyga:

I've tested all the switches and they work.
Only the following solenoids fired in test mode; 7, 9, 12, 15 and 16.
While inspecting it I noticed a number of wires have been cut under the playfield - see attached picture. Is there any reason this would be done??? Or is it the problem?
Lucky the batteries hadn't leaked, and have been replaced.[quoted image]

Yep, you need to start here. Get some heat shrink tubing, color match and solder them together.

#7 11 months ago

Looks like a little work but in the end looks fixable and will be up and playing soon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredericksburg, VA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside