Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I bought a few Super-Bands for my flippers the other day, and for the life of me, I cannot get them to stretch enough to fit on the flippers. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? Am I just a total wimp that I can't get these things to fit?!?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I bought a few Super-Bands for my flippers the other day, and for the life of me, I cannot get them to stretch enough to fit on the flippers. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? Am I just a total wimp that I can't get these things to fit?!?

There's a lot of ways to do it but I put it over the wide back end of the flipper and then push it forward with both thumbs until I get it over the tip. To make it slide easier sometimes I use a little Novus 1 on the flipper body (or anything to add a little slickness). I also stand behind the wide section of the flipper so I can push it straight forward... usually not too tough.

Also you could try stretching them out a bit right before you attempt to put them on... yes I said "attempt"

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Very very hard. Put them in the microwave for a few secs. Not kidding.

#4 6 years ago

I use my thumbs and start at the tip of the flipper. Push down and back so the other end of the superband is almost flat and then it will slide over the end of the flipper. I hook my foot around the cabinet leg and face the flipper I am putting the superband on. Have to push hard and hooking your foot on the leg prevents the cabinet from sliding away from you.

I swapped out 3 different colors on my WCS94 the other night using this method with no problem.

#6 6 years ago

I find this the easiest. Take a nice heavy ceramic mug and boil a cup or two of water in it. Bring it to the machine and bring a fork. Dunk the bands for 30 sec to a minute the pull them out with the fork and immediately dry them and quickly mount them. No problem.

If you wait and they cool down it's no use.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

I find this the easiest. Take a nice heavy ceramic mug and boil a cup or two of water in it. Bring it to the machine and bring a fork. Dunk the bands for 30 sec to a minute the pull them out with the fork and immediately dry them and quickly mount them. No problem.
    If you wait and they cool down it's no use.

Ditto.

And start with the wide end of the flipper, stretching over the narrow end. Still needs a little force, but its not hard.

#8 6 years ago

the biggest problem is that they suck balls in general when it comes to gameplay. All those artificial bands look nice, but all of them play like shit.

#9 6 years ago

Stretch it a few times with your hands first. It will go on no problem.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the biggest problem is that they suck balls in general when it comes to gameplay. All those artificial bands look nice, but all of them play like shit.

Annnnnd they snap apart!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Am I just a total wimp that I can't get these things to fit?!?

Correct...but you admit it and there's some respect in that I guess maybe somehow???

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Use Titans. Much easier!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

Annnnnd they snap apart!

The Saturn rings that PPS sold were known to snap. When the SuperBands wear, which is forever, they usually chip apart at the tip.

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Use Titans. Much easier!

Titan rings are good but they last a little longer than black flipper rubber.

#14 6 years ago

After testing a bunch of Supers, I found a foolproof method. Take a small flathead screwdriver, slide it through the Superband, and toss it in the trash. Works every time.

#15 6 years ago

I've tried them all as well and for me pinball life's Perfect Play bands played the closest to standard rubber. I highly recommend them.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4014

#16 6 years ago

You know what plays even closer to standard rubber. Standard rubber. Hasn't failed me yet and plays exactly the way it should.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've tried them all as well and for me pinball life's Perfect Play bands played the closest to standard rubber. I highly recommend them.

I have these on a few of my games, and I've been happy with them. They last and they play well. That's exactly what I want in a flipper rubber.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll just stick with standard rubber for now.

#19 6 years ago

Watch the video posted above. Easy. I like the way the play. They grip the ball well and look awesome. Standard rubbers look like puke.

#20 6 years ago

they're an improvement over standard rubber because they are so much easier to clean, and they don't become brittle and break down over time. also they look amazing.

they do grip the ball a little bit differently, and they are a pain in the ass to get on the flipper bats. but it's worth it, in my opinion.

#21 6 years ago

I tried some and took them back off. Just played to different. Regular rubbers are so cheap no need to clean them just replace.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

they're an improvement over standard rubber because they are so much easier to clean,

How much easier than taking a rag/paper towel, putting a some naptha on it, and wiping the rubber?

#23 6 years ago

I had to return a set of translucent flipper rings back to PL cuz there was no way in hell these things were gonna fit. They were the correct size. I wasn't about to boil water for a damn set of flipper rings.

#24 6 years ago

I actually prefer them to regular rubber. Better control in my mind. Maybe its just in my mind- but they sure look great and I either like them better or dont feel they are any worse. Just because we have new technology and can make a different material does not mean it impacts the game negatively-

Purists I can understand- i am in some ways a purist-just not a pinball rubber purist! I dont feel they in any way break pinball-YMMV-

Give them a try. If you like it its a cheap upgrade. If you hate it. Its a cheap test and you know you hate it.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

they're an improvement over standard rubber because they are so much easier to clean, and they don't become brittle and break down over time. also they look amazing.

If that's what matters to you.

To me, they are a serious downgrade to "quality", (note I said quality, as the aftermarket is flooded with crappy ones) traditional rubbers as far as gameplay and look are concerned. Not to mention ease of installation.

#26 6 years ago

Still waiting ti hear how easy they are to clean...I've asked this question 100 times and never got an answer from anyone.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

I had to return a set of translucent flipper rings back to PL cuz there was no way in hell these things were gonna fit. They were the correct size. I wasn't about to boil water for a damn set of flipper rings.

Did you buy the mini version?

#28 6 years ago

The problem with putting them on is nature's way of letting you know super bands are garbage and make your pins play like shit, listen to nature. If you want something fancy get the Titan ones, they play fine and come in pretty colors. Super bands are dead corpses on your flippers, letting out little putrid gas flares every time your ball hits one and dies a little inside.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Best to just ask your wife to put them on for you.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Did you buy the mini version?

Nope. Bought the standard 1 1/2" size. Never had a problem with Titan other than my slings snapping prematurely. But went to 2 1/2" on the slings and problem solved.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

All those artificial bands look nice, but all of them play like shit.

On this we agree. Superbands are too grippy and make ball control easier. I'm not a huge fan of Titan rubber either. I find them bouncy.

For now, I'm sticking with good old red rubber.

#32 6 years ago

HOW ARE THEY SO EASY TO CLEAN??? WHAT MAKES THEM EASIER TO CLEAN THAN NORMAL RUBBERS?
    Never posted in all caps in my life.... But Jesus no one will answer this. I'll have to Pm per in a minute

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

+1

#34 6 years ago

I usually get a running start

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Still waiting ti hear how easy they are to clean...I've asked this question 100 times and never got an answer from anyone.

I've tried them all- Superbands are by far the easiest to clean, Titan and PlayPerfect clean up well, real rubber are the worst for cleaning. Real rubber also bond themself to the flipper and leave more dirt on the playfield. You'll notice more ball trails on the inlanes with real rubber installed. Regarding play - they are all a little different. Personally i like superbands on fast playing modern games and i use titan bands/playperfect on the classics.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

HOW ARE THEY SO EASY TO CLEAN??? WHAT MAKES THEM EASIER TO CLEAN THAN NORMAL RUBBERS?

When they snap and crack, you just throw them away and install clean ones. No muss, no fuss.

#37 6 years ago

Yes,you must be a total wimp if your fingers aren't strong enough to pull them on! I'm 67,and I don't have to struggle at all!And ,please,when you get a new pin ,remove and throw away the balls they give you and replace the rubbers on the flippers! SAP!OR U R FUBAR, C??? Have fun

#38 6 years ago

Cosigned on Pinball Life's perfect play silicone. Its durometer is very similar to black rubber, which is what the majority of modern games ship with. Putting colored real flipper rubber on a modern game is actually more of a change; too bouncy.

I performed lots of controlled bounce testing with PBL yellow perfect play on my GB Pro, and found it indistinguishable from factory black flipper rubber. The only difference is it looks great and won't deteriorate all over the playfield.

#39 6 years ago

they dont do great with flipper passes either. still not sure if i like them. will have to try pinball life's silicone ones one day

#40 6 years ago

I dig Super-Bands! Flippers and posts.

I have them on all my non-EM games. They look great, hold up great, and play terrifically!

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I've tried them all- Superbands are by far the easiest to clean, Titan and PlayPerfect clean up well, real rubber are the worst for cleaning. Real rubber also bond themself to the flipper and leave more dirt on the playfield. You'll notice more ball trails on the inlanes with real rubber installed. Regarding play - they are all a little different. Personally i like superbands on fast playing modern games and i use titan bands/playperfect on the classics.

you ever try the rubber cleaner on regular rubber? Pinball life sells it and it works like magic. Put some on a paper towel and the dirt wipes off like dry erase marker on a dry erase board. Regular rubber plays better, looks good and way cheaper. Why would you use anything else?

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never posted in all caps in my life.... But Jesus no one will answer this. I'll have to Pm per in a minute

Super-Bands are polyurethane and will wipe off perfectly clean with any liquid (water, novus 1, saliva, etc). Lick your finger and wipe them clean. That's what people mean. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well since you asked for it...It isn't that the method to clean them is any different or easier (still use a rag and naphtha), it's that the dirt comes off the less porous/smoother surface easier. The same way wiping dog shit off glass would be easier than wiping dog shit off sandpaper. Shouldn't take you 100 times asking the question to figure that out .

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Quoted from brad808:

Shouldn't take you 100 times asking the question to figure that out .

Well no one has opened their mouths till now so I appreciate it.

I'll try to make a video this weekend with tips on wiping normal rubbers clean as it seems to be difficult.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

tips on wiping normal rubbers clean

Don't Google that with anyone else in the room.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The problem with putting them on is nature's way of letting you know super bands are garbage and make your pins play like shit, listen to nature. If you want something fancy get the Titan ones, they play fine and come in pretty colors. Super bands are dead corpses on your flippers, letting out little putrid gas flares every time your ball hits one and dies a little inside.

Yeah but do you like Superbands?

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yeah but do you like Superbands?

Translation: "I wasn't manly enough to get them on"

#48 6 years ago

My answer, don't use them. I am old school. Totally changes the feel and play of flippers. Other places, okay, might be nice. Flippers, DON'T USE THEM. enough said.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinHead2112:

My answer, don't use them. I am old school. Totally changes the feel and play of flippers. Other places, okay, might be nice. Flippers, DON'T USE THEM. enough said.

But he didn't ask for your unsolicited OPINION... he simply asked for the best way to put them on. I'm sure there is another thread for people to rant about their all-important choices in life.

So tiring.

#50 6 years ago

I used the technique of the first video from DCFAN.
    Worked very well.

Give them a try.
    GL&HF

P.S: I wouldn´t say SuperBands are easier to clean.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problems-with-super-bands?hl=pinhead2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.