You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

null_zps5312fd3e.jpg
null_zps90ef48ed.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Ok yesterday I got my order of a set of cliffys for my Jurassic Park machine,
I wanted to protect the woodwork and bit the bullet and ordered a set of these from Bay Area Amusements,

They have been on less than 12 hours and I'm not enjoying what they have done to the game,
I read you need to move the control room and bunker scoop assembly as far back as it can go because the ball wont eject or enter the bunker with the cliffys attached,
This I've done, and I'm not getting a problem there,
The problem I'm getting is the control room shot, (and I have also moved the control room back as far as it will go)
The ball kinda "bounces"out and makes the shot very difficult,
Ive also noticed the cliffy protector doesn't sit flush with the playfield and raises up slightly on the right hand side,
I've also noticed that with less than 12 hours installed, and possibly 15 games played, Its already starting to split!!!!
Now to try to make what was a very easy shot that's now very hard with the cliffy in place a little more easy I added a little strip of felt to the back of the scoop liner to soften the blow of the ball so it doesn't bounce out, This has helped a tiny bit,
But this one protector has altered the game play very dramatically and its made the game far less enjoyable and TBH for $60 I'm actually quite disappointed
I preferred the game much more without them in place but want to keep my playfield in pristine order so I'm at a loss,
Is there anything that can be done?

(Lifting in the right corner)
null_zps90ef48ed.jpgnull_zps90ef48ed.jpg

(Splitting already)
null_zps5312fd3e.jpgnull_zps5312fd3e.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Cliffy is an incredibly nice guy. Try emailing him directly with your problem and he may be able to help you out.

Upload photos with the buttons in the lower left.

#4 10 years ago

Phew got the upload thing figured out,

I didn't order directly from cliffy, I got them from Bay Area Amusements,
I'll do a hunt for his email,

#5 10 years ago

[email protected] here is cliff's email

#6 10 years ago

Thank you, I have emailed him

But I am still looking for input from any other owners of this game that might have these installed,

#7 10 years ago

Sorry you're having such grief. I'll send a refund if you email me your PP account. I've made the control room protector in a thicker metal now to reduce the chance of cracking and yes I've seen that before. I'm afraid the thicker material might make you even more frustrated with that shot though so I won't recommend it for you.
Sorry again that they didn't work out for you but in my own defense the build quality is NOT at issue. It's the nature of that particular scoop and how the ball interacts with the deflector and protector.

#8 10 years ago

Cliffy is there anything I can tweak for this shot?
Its only this one, The Bunker and the power shed shots seem unaffected,

and I'd assume the one you see here is the older thinner material?

#9 10 years ago

The only possible fix is to repair and damage to the wood with epoxy putty. Since your playfield is apparently unworn then this is not an option for you. Use the mantis hole liners instead is all I can suggest but you'll be fighting bounceouts with those too as they are much thicker than mine. They'll never crack though.

#10 10 years ago

Cliffy thank you, I appreciate your super fast response

Shame its just this one vitally crucial shot that affected lol

#12 10 years ago

I had the cliffy on mine and had no problems with it.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

I had the cliffy on mine and had no problems with it.

Same here. It's too bad it's not working out for the OP.

#14 10 years ago

Is that green target preventing the protector from laying flat to the playfield? Should the protector go slightly under the green target so that it will lie flat? I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like interference between the protector and the green target holding up the protector.

#15 10 years ago

The cliffy protectors do make the shots more difficult because the scoop hole is pretty small as it is, and the scoop hole's beveled edges are made sharp, reducing the entry surface area.

As well as the advice to move the assembly as far back as possible, I'd also recommend moving it to the left as well, this also makes the bunker shot a bit wider and easier to make. You can also bend the scoop itself downward so that the ball is better directed downward into the hole.

If you're going to use the cliffy, two things you must do are:

1) fill the damaged wood so that there is no empty space behind the edges of the cliffy to be pounded into — this will stop dents and splitting.

2) get some stronger double-sided tape to hold the edges down

#16 10 years ago

I'd recommend to the OP to try again if he can get a replacement free of charge. I installed them in mine and haven't had any issues.

#17 10 years ago

My JP was on route for over a year and is now back home for a bit. I have Cliffy protectors on the Bunker and Power Shed. I have a Mantis protector on the Control Room. The Cliffy protectors hold up fine on the Bunker and Power Shed, but as Cliff said, due to the geometry and layout of the Control Room, splitting is a problem.

The other problem is Kerry (Mantis) no longer makes protectors for JP. He said the demand isn't there. What I did is I modified a Mantis AFM mothership protector to fit the Control Room. It takes a little bending with a vice and some hammering, but it will work. I don't notice any bounce out problems or issues. If you have them you probably need to adjust your scoop's orientation, angle, or bend.

So that's my solution, a conglomeration of Cliffy and Mantis protectors. It held up well for over a year.

I also have Cliffy protectors on my Whirlwind, TAF, and Funhouse that are on location and they are holding up fine. So the issue with JP isn't Cliffy's protectors, it is how the Control Room hole is designed and laid out.

#18 10 years ago

mine were installed by an expert, and work and have held up great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problems-with-cliffys-on-jurassic-park-control-room-disappointed-in-quality and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.