• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD bonus circuit (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

Hi.

I have a #Fast Draw that has been working great until recently. Now, after the first four balls, the stepper counts down the bonus points real slow (once a second maybe) and then after the final ball, when the double bonus is lit, the stepper doesn't click down but the score increases 1000 after 1000, and never stops. Have to start a new game to stop it.

I've checked the stepper rig and everything looks ok, the coils fire ok, though slow.

Any clues what this could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago

I drew up this diagram to help understand how your bonus scoring works (yes, I had some spare time today)...or, more accurately, how your bonus unit decrements from whatever bonus you've earned to zero. Follow the numbers in the red text and see if this makes sense.

On the last ball, it sounds like the pulses to decrement your bonus unit are not making it through the switch gauntlet to decrement the bonus unit at all, so you just have continuous scoring. It won't stop until the bonus unit gets back to zero. Have to find out which switch is not closing. The switches involved are on relays LB and 4B, Motor 2D, 3B, and 3 1/2 D. The switch on E sounds like it's working correctly.

I have a Quick Draw here at home, and I'll just say that the switch timing is very touchy on this clever-as-hell bonus system.
FD bonus circuit (resized).JPGFD bonus circuit (resized).JPG

#3 2 years ago

Gee thanks @Paulace. I've been reading your post from 2 years ago and trying to absorb all that was said there too. That was quite an odyssey! Glad you worked it all out in the end. I do appreciate your summarizing everything you learnt from that experience and your really comprehensive diagram. I'll do my best to go through it all and see what I find, though I'm a complete noobie in that department and don't know anyone who can help me out locally (this machine is in my holiday house in France). I live in Spain, but have long since sold my EM's in favor of newer solid states, though I have to admit there is a real fascination in these old beauties from the 70s and all their sparks and coils. Game play is simple but challenging.

One thing I've noticed while poking about inside this game is that various people have been in and replaced things over the years and the soldering is really awful!! I'll check first and foremost that there isn't just some random loose wire or a massive blob of solder where there shouldn't be one before I get to the switches. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for all your insights.

#4 2 years ago

Hope that post helps a bit. The fact that your machine was working fine for a long time probably indicates that at least those parts that were replaced were correct and the soldering was at least functional, if not pretty. It's certainly possible that a solder joint finally popped. And this machine is very sensitive to switch timing issues, so it's possible that a switch finally bent slightly out of tolerance. When I was working on mine, some of the fixes were just closing or opening a switch the tiniest bit, or bending a switch form on the score motor just a millimeter or two...it's that sensitive.

What helps me alot is to just think of the big bonus unit attached to the underside of the playfield as a timer. When it counts down to zero, the bonus stops. It just either counts down quickly, 1/2 that speed, or 1/3 that speed, so since the bonus is being added at a consistent rate, you get 1X, 2X or 3X the bonus.

Buena suerte!

#5 2 years ago

Gracias amigo!

Well, as it turned out it was a loose wire issue. One of the 3 solder-blob monsters attached to the bonus stepper had come unstuck. Feel a bit of an idiot calling on the forum for something so obvious, but along the way I've learned a lot more about the machine and the wonderful world of bonus scoring, so it's all good, right?

Happy Sunday

Mike

#6 2 years ago

That's great that it was something simple. I probably over-explained, but I had these Gottlieb bonus systems explained to me by some smart people here, and it's good for me to go over that stuff again so I don't forget it myself.

Glad you got it fixed - it's a great game! I love that 3X bonus on the last ball, so anyone has a chance to catch up.

#7 2 years ago

>I love that 3X bonus on the last ball, so anyone has a chance to catch up.<

Really! The other night, player four was still on less than 10k by ball 5 and ended up with 64k at the end. Long live the triple x scoring!

Thanks again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problems-with-bonus-stepper-on-gottlieb-fast-draw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.