• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cannon.jpg
Cannon #1.JPG

#1 10 years ago

First, LOVE the look of this mod... wouldnt dream of ever going back to factory cannon.

However, now every 25-50 plays, the cannon loosens and rotates just enough for the "tail" of the cannon toy to catch the slingshot plastic and hangs the cannon assemble from rotating.

I believe they eventually changed the design, but I have an earlier model where its connected with a single screw .

I've tried purple loktite on the screw, but it seems to eventually work its way loose. I hesitate to use anything stronger....

Any other Hemi cannon users find a solution to this issue?

#2 10 years ago

Contact them they will make it right - their customer service is second to none!!!

http://pinballrefinery.com/

#3 10 years ago

I have the same cannon as you, and mine just very recently started doing this. I haven't had a chance to look at it closely yet, but the tail of the cannon is definitely grazing the plastic. In my case, I have a plastic protector installed, so the sling plastic sits a little higher than it normally would.

#4 10 years ago

Buddy of mine had this issue when we installed this on his Luci.

Here is how we fixed it on his. We put a lexan washer (pinball life sells them) under the the plastic at the post closest to the flipper. Doing this raised the front and basically lowered the back just a smidgen as the plastic now sits at a slight angle. No issues on his since.

#5 10 years ago

the tail end of my cannon broke off, not more problem with mine

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Here is how we fixed it on his. We put a lexan washer (pinball life sells them) under the the plastic at the post closest to the flipper. Doing this raised the front and basically lowered the back just a smidgen as the plastic now sits at a slight angle. No issues on his since.

I'm not following you. How does adding a washer lower the height of the plastic?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

the tail end of my cannon broke off, not more problem with mine

That happened to my first cannon. The ball got going really fast back and forth in the slings and got some air. It took the back of the cannon right off.

#8 10 years ago

I tried shaving a bit off the back, but it just delayed the problem of it pivoting into trouble.

I think the issue is (unfortunately) one of physics:

The early designs were attached with a single screw in the middle of the toy.... the ball can (and will) hit either ends of it and it will want to act as a fulcrum.

I think the only way to stop it absolutely is to find a way to connect the cannon with 2 screws.... just not sure how to do this.

#9 10 years ago

Mine broke after 25 plays...disappointing mod!
It does look better than factory.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

The early designs were attached with a single screw in the middle of the toy.... the ball can (and will) hit either ends of it and it will want to act as a fulcrum.

I thought I had the same cannon as you, but mine is actually mounted with two screws. Here's a photo of mine ...

Cannon #1.JPGCannon #1.JPG

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I thought I had the same cannon as you, but mine is actually mounted with two screws. Here's a photo of mine ...

Yes... that's NOT the one I have... DAMN me for being an early-adopter!

My early-adopter frenzy for modding the ACDC burned me with my laserrific ACDC topper too (I had the self-destructing 1st version )

#12 10 years ago

But even with the two screws, the tail of my cannon is now hitting the plastic. I think the whole mech somehow lowered a bit over time. Ironically, when I first installed Hemi's cannon, I actually needed to add a washer to the ramp because the cannon was sitting a bit too high.

#13 10 years ago

Well, I PM'd HemiOrange to see if he has any suggestions....

Sidenote: I'm always shocked at how ugly the original cannon is when I happen to see an ACDC in the wild

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not following you. How does adding a washer lower the height of the plastic?

What it did was raise the front and lowered the back. Instead of being flat it's higher in the front and lower in the back due to the angle it created.

#15 10 years ago

I have the two screw version cannon and also had the back of cannon break off. I think my sling plastic protector raised the height of sling plastic and it rubbed back of cannon. Ordered new cannon and will have to make some adjustment to prevent breakage. I have dealt with Hemi many times in the past and he replies quickly helps with any issues . He goes beyond what you expect when you ask him for help.

#16 10 years ago

As far as the cannon breaking the back off this was a bad design right from the start and modders just copied the original one posted , it should of been done with the complete cannon,I made mine in 2 parts and assembled it over the bracket
cannon.jpgcannon.jpg

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I have the two screw version cannon and also had the back of cannon break off. I think my sling plastic protector raised the height of sling plastic and it rubbed back of cannon. Ordered new cannon and will have to make some adjustment to prevent breakage. I have dealt with Hemi many times in the past and he replies quickly helps with any issues . He goes beyond what you expect when you ask him for help.

Well, he did respond....

He said they improved the design I purchased with a 2-screw canon. He said I can buy one of those

1 week later
#18 10 years ago

Hemi , here are some pics. New cannon has only one harness and old had two. Let me know what's up.// Error: Image 208389 not found //// Error: Image 208388 not found //

#19 10 years ago

I installed mine over the weekend and it had the same as yours but, it worked as expected so, I suspect that it was redesigned some from the original.

#20 10 years ago

Hemi has informed that since I have his TRC mod already installed,the cannon needs modified with an extra harness. I'm going to send cannon back and he will take care of it.

1 month later
#21 9 years ago

My cheap Chinese canon also just lost the tail to an air ball my need to contact pinball refinery.

#22 9 years ago

Anybody have a ball stuck between the cannon and the slingshot? That happens to my game on occasion.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Anybody have a ball stuck between the cannon and the slingshot? That happens to my game on occasion.</blockquote

On mine, it occasionally gets stuck between the bottom of the black plastic cover and playfield. If you have the same thing, try raising the cover up a little by loosing the screws and re-tightening,

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problems-with-acdc-cannon-mod-hemi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.