Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A-15782 (resized).jpg
A-15680 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I've owned my WH20 for 25 years and Bigfoot has always worked properly, until now. Now, Bigfoot's head no longer turns.

The status report says to check Bigfoot optos 1 and 2.
When I run the bigfoot motor test, the motor does not run at all (in either direction).
When I run the bigfoot opto test, it shows opto 1 is off and opto 2 is on, but the head does not move.
When I run the head position test, it says position "unknown" and then "error". Once that happens, there seems to be no way out of the test and I have to reboot the machine.

I suspect that the motor is still okay, because sometimes (maybe 1 out of 20), the head will spin for a moment on bootup - and I find it hard to believe that the motor and optos will have both died simultaneously.

My guess is that something has gone wrong with the bigfoot opto/controller board, but I don't know the best way to isolate/analyze the situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

If it was just an opto problem, wouldn't the motor still run in the bigfoot motor test?

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

I would suggest starting with the optos underneath Bigfoot. Grab a piece of paper and go into switch test and slide the paper in between the opto to see if they are registering. mine wouldn't move because and opto was bad. if they work then its the motor or the plastic disc

#3 2 years ago

Both optos seem to register fine in the switch test.

#4 2 years ago

Take a 9 volt battery to the motor and see if it spins. if it does the problem is up the line farther.

#5 2 years ago

The motor board under the playfield is prone to failure.
There's a capacitor there that is known to leak.
The leakage can further corrode tracks and components on this board.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

Take a 9 volt battery to the motor and see if it spins. if it does the problem is up the line farther.

Well, I did the battery test, and the motor moved about a half turn and then stopped. Now it doesn't move at all. I assume that with the battery connected it should just continuously spin, correct? This makes me think that the motor is the problem.

Quoted from Zigzagzag:

The motor board under the playfield is prone to failure.
There's a capacitor there that is known to leak.
The leakage can further corrode tracks and components on this board.

According to my manual the controller board is part A-15680 (top picture), but the board in my machine looks like A-15782 (bottom picture).
Marco shows both as being used. Is one board a newer version of the other? Which is better?
It may be irrelevant if my problem is the motor, but if it is the board, I want to get the "good/correct" one.

A-15680 (resized).jpgA-15680 (resized).jpgA-15782 (resized).jpgA-15782 (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

with the battery hooked up it will run constantly. I just checked it on my extra assembly that I have. the problem is your motor/ gearbox. you could always just take the two screws that hold the motor in place on the gearbox out and check it again. it may need maintenance in the gearbox.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, I did the battery test, and the motor moved about a half turn and then stopped. Now it doesn't move at all. I assume that with the battery connected it should just continuously spin, correct? This makes me think that the motor is the problem.

According to my manual the controller board is part A-15680 (top picture), but the board in my machine looks like A-15782 (bottom picture).
Marco shows both as being used. Is one board a newer version of the other? Which is better?
It may be irrelevant if my problem is the motor, but if it is the board, I want to get the "good/correct" one.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine looks like the bottom one, but I don't know the difference. Maybe you should contact them directly ?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

you could always just take the two screws that hold the motor in place on the gearbox out and check it again. it may need maintenance in the gearbox.

Nope, even when taken out of the gearbox, the motor won't run. It makes a little grindy / hum noise for a moment but that's it.
Guess that I am buying a new motor...

Thanks for the help y'all.

2 weeks later
#10 2 years ago

So I bought a new Bigfoot mechanism from Marcos, and now I see that it is a bit different than the one I have on my machine.

On my machine, the motor is a separate piece from the gearbox. But on the new part, it's all a single piece.

I don't know if that's really an issue or anything, it just was unexpected.

Anybody have any advice/tips on replacing this mechanism? I've never had to take Bigfoot apart before.

1 year later
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

So I bought a new Bigfoot mechanism from Marcos, and now I see that it is a bit different than the one I have on my machine.
On my machine, the motor is a separate piece from the gearbox. But on the new part, it's all a single piece.
I don't know if that's really an issue or anything, it just was unexpected.
Anybody have any advice/tips on replacing this mechanism? I've never had to take Bigfoot apart before.

Did you ever sort this out? My big foot won’t register when I hit big foot bluff and the log he’s holding. He won’t roar or turn his head. When you had this issue, when you hit the Bigfoot bluff shot would big foot laugh but his head wouldn’t turn or would he not laugh and not turn his head? Thx

#12 1 year ago

I fixed this by replacing my big foot motor.

The real question is does he move his log to re-direct the shot into the Whirlpool?

If he doesn't move his log, then the problem is likely one of the switches - meaning that the software never sees that it is time for bigfoot to act.

If he does move the log (and laugh), but does not move his head, then the problem is likely either the bigfoot motor controller board, or the motor itself.

You can diagnose the motor itself, by disconnnecting it from the controller board and connecting a 9V battery to the motor terminals. If the motor is good, it will run.

Have you tried running the Bigfoot Motor test in the system menu? This may tell you a lot.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I fixed this by replacing my big foot motor.
The real question is does he move his log to re-direct the shot into the Whirlpool?
If he doesn't move his log, then the problem is likely one of the switches - meaning that the software never sees that it is time for bigfoot to act.
If he does move the log (and laugh), but does not move his head, then the problem is likely either the bigfoot motor controller board, or the motor itself.
You can diagnose the motor itself, by disconnnecting it from the controller board and connecting a 9V battery to the motor terminals. If the motor is good, it will run.
Have you tried running the Bigfoot Motor test in the system menu? This may tell you a lot.

This is very helpful, thank you. He still moves the log but doesn’t laugh and doesn’t turn his head. This happens most of the time now. Less frequently he works as he’s supposed to.

I may follow up with additional questions, thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-whitewater-bigfoot-mechanism?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.