• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture_3682.jpg
Picture_3681.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I think I wired up a switch for the brick wall drop target wrong and now im getting a bunch of errors. All the switchs except the bottom row and rt collum are stuck closed. When I unplug from the board all the switchs are open. The switch is now wires correctly but still getting the same errors. Were do I start?

#2 11 years ago

Be sure you wired it right. Look at other switches. On the micro mini switches you have the white wire ( and what ever stripe ) and the black end of the diode, then the green wire ( and what ever color stripe ) and then far away on the other end all by itself the silver banded end of the diode.

Or remove the wires from the switch, if errors go away, then see if the switch is shorted or anything else wrong.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

It is wired now the same as all the others and I even un plugged the switch and got the same errors.

#4 11 years ago

Lloyd (and others). This first came up in this thread http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-shadow-magnet-supposed-to-be-adjustable

I had suggested to the op checking the switches to the Battlefield Drop Target and Wall Drop Target (and provided photos of my game's wiring).

Somehow this led to multiple switches now being shorted closed. I suspect high voltage was somehow shorted to the switch matrix, but that is only a guess. I had recommended unplugging the switches in the switch matrix to isolate the problem to either the playfield or the CPU.

Thanks,

Tom

#5 11 years ago

Yes tom looks like either ur game or mine were the wall switch is upside down so this through me off in the picture. That is why i wired it back wards. My leaf switch faces down and yours faces up not to sure which one is rt.

#6 11 years ago

did reversing the wires back clear up your problem?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I think I wired up a switch for the brick wall drop target wrong and now im getting a bunch of errors. All the switchs except the bottom row and rt collum are stuck closed. When I unplug from the board all the switchs are open. The switch is now wires correctly but still getting the same errors. Were do I start?

Every single switch in your whole switch matrix in say switch edge test shows a solid square dot (closed)? And by "unplug from the board" you removed which connector on which board? And exactly what happens then?

#9 11 years ago

Just following up on your posts to see if you resolved your issues.

Trying to keep up to speed, so far I understand:

You worked on switch #51 (Brick Wall Target) and reversed wiring & diode thinking the wiring was backwards
This resulted in every switch showing closed in the switch matrix except the right column & bottom row.
You reversed the wires to there original position, and there was no change.
When you unplug the playfield switches from the CPU, all switches show open
If you unplug switch number 51, then there is no change, all switches still show closed.

Is this correct? If so, could you please take a picture of switch 51 and post it.

Thanks,

Tom

#10 11 years ago

Yes same problem no change. I hooked it up same as every other switch on the game.

Picture_3681.jpgPicture_3681.jpg

#11 11 years ago

As you can see, the last two of us trying to help you have been trying to clarify the symptoms, that are not clear. A response of "yes same problem no change" did not answer our questions or clear anything up. I guess you're not looking for help?

#12 11 years ago

I would like to see a picture of the switch matrix (as it is showing the short) and the only other thing that I can think of is that sometimes when components are heated they can fail. So, if you had reversed the diode (twice) then the heat from the soldering iron might have "cooked" the diode causing it to fail. But 1 bad diode should not short the whole matrix, just 1 row or column. But, if you unplugged the switch, it should have cleared the short. Very confusing. Please post of picture of the switch matrix.

You stated that when you unplugged the switch matrix from the CPU (J207 & J209), all the switches showed open. This (to me) means the short is somewhere on the playfield, and not the CPU.

Thanks,

Tom

#13 11 years ago

Everything tom said is correct.

#14 11 years ago

when you turn the game on it siad ground short row one. But errors that are coming up are showing ground short in all rows and mini pf opto error and brick wall switch error.

Picture_3682.jpgPicture_3682.jpg

#15 11 years ago

I don't know what to make of the switch matrix being in a block like that. I have not seen that before. When the game is telling you ground short Row 1, I would start there. The row 1 wire is the white wire with the brown stripe. Follow it all through the game. It only goes to 8 switches and the back box. Look closely around the mini playfield, as that is also registering an error. I unplugged Switch 51 on my game and all it did was indicate a switch error at Switch 51.

Check the White wire with the brown stripe

#16 11 years ago

Had my local repair guy come out td Allen Davidson with in 20 min. He found my problem. Opto interface board. He is going to repair it and send it back to me. So glad i have a guy like him to turn to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-shadow-tech-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.