(Topic ID: 129019)

Problem with service switch: + is acting as Enter !!

By Leo13

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1243.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I did not get so much help with my previous problems so I try with another one.

On my TZ, there are 4 service switches:
Escape, -, + and Enter

All work except the "+" button acts as the "Enter" button. So It's now impossible to increase the sound volume, and in every menu I have to go backward using the "-" button to select a sub-menu.

I checked already the wires of each button and the "+" is not touching the "Enter" one.

#2 8 years ago

A few thoughts.

Lug side of the switches shorting to metal ?

Switches gummed up and shorting to each other ?

Coin door interface board have metal dust on the component side from the flippers, or screws or nuts behind the board ?

Unplug the connector for the coin door from the coin door interface board and put a meter on the "+" wire ( not the black common wire ) and see if it's shorting to any other wires.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Very very strange. Something is definitely flaky with this "+" button. I unplugged everything (including the conncetion in the backbox), then reconnect everything, same issue.

I started to hit rapidly on the + button and -sometimes- it was acting as the "+", most of the time as the Enter.

I unscrewed the service switch assembly, same issue, until I started to shake the "+" button assembly. Then, I re-screwed everyting in place and it works well now.

I still dont understand what was wrong, and I'm pretty sure the problem will come back later...

1 week later
#4 8 years ago

Problem is still there. I checked all wires and solders, no shortcut anywhere. I also cleaned the board under the left flipper button (in fact I restored entirely my TZ) so it's 100% clean.

Here is a video of the problem. Only the "Up/+" button is acting as up and enter, the other ones are perfectly fine.

http://1drv.ms/1GzR5NL

#5 8 years ago

Check for battery corrosion on the WPC board.

#6 8 years ago

Sadly you are right... I have corrosion on my CPU board
Do you think it can be saved with a CLR bath, or do I have to consider replacing components/board ?

IMG_1243.JPGIMG_1243.JPG

#7 8 years ago

Could be a bad trace, Great info on direct input switchs here>> http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Direct_Switch_Problems

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

replacing components/

This.

LTG : )™

#9 8 years ago

For what it's worth, my T2 has a new CPU with remote battery holder, no corrosion, and from time to time I'll get the same symptom where the + sign will trigger an enter button press(haven't cared enough to look into it). A tech buddy of mine said it's probably a short in the switches somewhere in there as there are a few exposed wires. Those service switches are cheap, wouldn't hurt to try replacing it before going through too much trouble repairing the corroding parts. Eliminate the easy variable first?

#10 8 years ago

If there were no signs of corrosion this might be a good idea. However, since there is visual confirmation of corrosion and the known result of that is the diag switches going haywire and phantom firing, I think doing anything with the switches themselves would be a waste of time.

I would send the board to John Wart Jr or Barakandi or another reputable service provider for professional repair.

IMO.

Quoted from RVApinballer:

For what it's worth, my T2 has a new CPU with remote battery holder, no corrosion, and from time to time I'll get the same symptom where the + sign will trigger an enter button press(haven't cared enough to look into it). A tech buddy of mine said it's probably a short in the switches somewhere in there as there are a few exposed wires. Those service switches are cheap, wouldn't hurt to try replacing it before going through too much trouble repairing the corroding parts. Eliminate the easy variable first?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-service-switch-is-acting-as-enter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.