• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by mystic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hi.
I'm having some problems with my 1992 Data east Star wars machine. During a game the machine turned black and it has never been working ever since. When i turn on the power nothing happens. At first it looked like a broken fuse or an overheating. But after changing all the fuses it still don't work. Please help me I'm kinda new to the whole pinball thing and appreciate all the help I can get.

#2 12 years ago

When you power on does ANYTHING come on? If nothing at all then you either have a mains fuse blown in the power box where the line cord comes in or a breaker on the house circuit is tripped.

On later Williams games the power cord itself can become unplugged in the back (common) but I can't remember if DE games ever used an unpluggable power cord or not. Wouldn't hurt to have a look

#3 12 years ago

If I remember correctly my SW had the power cord wired directly into the on/off switch box in the front right bottom cabinet.
Check the 8A (110v) or 5A (220v) Slow blow fuse located in the on/off switch box. You will have to press in and turn the little black fuse holder to remove it.
If that is fine, then take that box apart and see if the round disk shaped varister or line filter is burnt.
Let us know what you find out please.

#4 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. i've checked all the fuses and the power cord. So i guess the only thing left to do is to take the box apart. i've spoken with my local pinball supplier and he suggest the same thing. Thanks once again

#5 12 years ago

Dan is right. The MOV, metal oxide varistor, needs to match the voltage you're running. Also if there have been any surges or spikes like from lightning it will blow as thats why it's in there

#6 12 years ago

Okay, Well i've checked the varistor and it was in perfect condition. I've heard that it might be a problem with the transformer. Do you think it could be it?

#7 12 years ago

rare for the transformer to be bad...

but make sure none of the lugs somehow got pushed together and is causing a short.. that was the problem on one machine I was working on.. took me forever to figure it out.

Disconnect the transformer from the boards. Put in a new fuse. Turn it on so that you can see the fuse and watch for a bright flash of light.. if it pops, you've probably got a short. Work your way back from the transformer connector to the plug in the wall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-my-1992-star-wars-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.