Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 66 days ago

So over the weekend my wife was playing and midgame all the insert lights lit up simultaneously - then died.
I changed the fuse, all lit up again for about 10 seconds - then died.
Anyone have a clue what I can start poking around at?
I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to diagnosing stuff on the boards - but I'm willing to take a shot at it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 66 days ago

Check with Stern tech support.

LTG : )

#3 66 days ago

With the power off, try reseating both ends of the flat gray ribbon cable that goes between the CPU board and the driver board. Neither end is keyed, so make sure you don't miss any pins (or rows of pins) when you put the connector back on the pins. Replace fuse, power up and see if issue stays.

#4 63 days ago

Phishrace - you are my favorite person right now!

Now, Please explain why the hell that worked. What caused that?

Thanks for the nice cheap fix!

#5 63 days ago

What ROM version are you running on the game?

#7 63 days ago

The CPU board tells the driver board when to turn on and off the feature lights through that ribbon cable. It may have not been removed since the game was new. You knocked the dust off by reseating the connectors. If it happens again, get a new cable. Probably won't happen again.

Any time something with a ribbon cable acts up logically (like how your game got confused) always try reseating the ribbon cable(s) first. Display, sound and CPU board issues can often be fixed simply by reseating the ribbon cables. Pull on the connector with both hands (not the cable) when removing and they'll last forever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Boards
PinSound
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside