(Topic ID: 19111)

Problem with Long Opto on BSD Mist ball feature. (Fixed)

By Chrisbee

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Got a problem with my Long Opto on BSD Mist ball feature.
On the single switch test, switch #82 is open (Long opto switch), if I put the TV remote in front of the IR pickup it will go to closed, so I expect the pickup is picking up. Put a phone camera in front of the IR sender and I can see that I’m sending IR., but the pickup is not detecting the IR from the sender. NOW if I point a TV remote at the IR receiver in such a way that I’m not blocking the IR from the opto IR sender and press a button, switch #82 closes and stays closed, even after I remove the TV remote. Put my hand across the IR beam and the switch opens, remove my hand and it stays open.
At first I thought I had a connecter problem, now I’m wondering if it is an alignment or weak beam problem.
Any ideas?

#2 11 years ago

Ok, any of you night shift people got an idea on my issue above?

#3 11 years ago

Weak beam, alignment.

I would put some shrink tubing on it and leave maybe 1/4" sticking out, on both optos, so you focus the beam a little better and see if that helps.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

It’s Fixed!! For those of you who read entries on BSD, how many times have you read on forums that the L1 inductive coil falls off on the 24 Otpo PCB? Well I must have read it 10 times in the past 2 days. Today I read, “I must have found 7 BSD with a broken leg on the L1 on the 24 Otpo PCB this year!!!” in RGP. So I thought can’t see it being my problem, better check anyway, Yep you got in one, one leg on L1 was broken. It was broken in such a way that sometimes it made contact but most of the time it didn’t, hence the intermittent fault. I have done a temp repair by re-connecting the broken leg. So all I need to do now is find a replacement part and change it out for a long term fix, should only cost $1 or $2.
Next ?, why don’t we bond L1 to the PCB and remove the load off the legs? This part seem to break often.

#5 11 years ago

I recently replaced the l1 inductor. Here is what I used:

Fastron 10mH radial inductor with 5% tolerance. Mouser part number: 434-03-103j manufacturer part number: 11p-103j-50.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fastron/11P-103J-50/?qs=3%2fphUcBLEfYP2myhlJxBuUUG3Wp%252bHNZwB8RgLrLg3l4%3d

#6 11 years ago

Fantastic, I was just looking for a part number, thanks man!!

8 years later
#7 3 years ago

Mist ball magnet grabs hit ball only...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-long-opto-on-bsd-mist-ball-feature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.