Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2864a.jpg
IMG_2867.JPG
#1 9 years ago

A while back I had a problem with two of my Flight 2000 displays not working. I had 175 volts but the two displays were dark. Someone advised that the glass needed to be replaced. I just moved those displays to players 3 and 4 and the game works fine. Just can’t have 3 or 4 players.

I’m in the process of replacing the connectors and headers on the working displays when I thought I’d try to check the bad displays again. I cranked up the voltage to 185 volts and the two displays sort of work. One shows a glow in the bottom (looks like a dot) and the other is trying to show numbers.

Do you think these are salvageable?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_2867.JPGIMG_2867.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Which transistor would be causing the segments to be dim or not fully lit?

Thanks

Bob

#3 9 years ago

Start with the header pins and reflow the solder. If that doesn't bring them back - look to the 100K resistors. Most of the time they are burnt and out of spec. Once you have ruled out these two items we can start with the digit circuitry.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks Xenon,

My plan was to replace the header pins and 100K resistors on all the displays. (parts on order).

Would bad transistors cause the segments to just partially light? Or light dimly?

Bob

#5 9 years ago

Well, that didn't work so well. I replaced the header pins, connectors, 7 100K resistors, all 21 transistors, and the decoder chip. I even re-flowed the glass display connectors. At 190 volts I got basically the same results - first 3 digits are still dark or dim.

Anyone care to guess what is going on here? What can I do next.

Thanks

Bob

#6 9 years ago

What is the voltage drop across Zener diode VR1 ?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

What is the voltage drop across Zener diode VR1 ?

Would that be CR1 ? I can check it tonight.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_2864a.jpgIMG_2864a.jpg
#8 9 years ago

OK..... its the 110volt zener diode.
Looks like you should have 80volts at R34.
I assume that voltage level is critical; not sure what effects it would display
if the voltage is wrong!

#9 9 years ago

If the connectors are good and the issue follows the display itself when moved to a different played position, the glass is going bad. Your display glass does not have the "nipple". Nippleless glass fails way more often than glass with a nipple in my experience. So when buying used glass, look for nipples.

#10 9 years ago

At 185 volts I have no digits showing - and 68.5 volts at R45

At 190 volts I have 2 digits showing - and 69.8 Volts at R45

At 195 volts I have 6 digits showing. (one digit out)

I read on PinWiki " If there is any light at all on the display, then it is probably repairable. Some type of Bally display glasses will have some light on them, besides the digits. If there is light anywhere on the display, then the glass is most likely OK and your problems are elsewhere."

However, I think Barakandl might be right that the glass is GOING bad. I hate to run it over 180 - 185 volts just for this one display.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

#11 9 years ago

If you turn up the high voltage pot and they look better is another sign the display glass is failing. I would just disconnect it and find a replacement if it does not work at 185v.

#12 9 years ago

That's what I think It's doing. The higher the voltage be more digits show. Replacements are a little hard to find and get expensive. I guess I'll just stick in in Player 4 and work on player 3 display. Maybe I'll have better luck there.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-flight-2000-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.