You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1941_(resized).JPG
IMG_1944_(resized).JPG
IMG_1940_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

I posted the issue I'm having with my DMD on TZ in the ColorDMD TZ thread found here at post #108. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-twilight-zone/page/3#post-2978664

A fellow pinsider suggested I start a thread here in the main forum for help.

So, in a nutshell, tried installing a ColorDMD in my TZ. I'd previously had one installed with no issues, but took out and put into another pin that had support (colorization) (probably about six months ago). Put regular DMD back in, no problems. Went to put a ColorDMD back in last Friday, and have had no success yet. Can't even get the regular DMD to work now either.

Hope I don't appear lazy, but if anyone is so inclined to give me assistance, pointers, would you be so kind as to read the thread mentioned above and either add to this thread or there. It would be much appreciated! Here are a few pics of the garbled screen I'm getting right now.

IMG_1940_(resized).JPGIMG_1940_(resized).JPG
IMG_1944_(resized).JPGIMG_1944_(resized).JPG
IMG_1941_(resized).JPGIMG_1941_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

Reg, did you try reseating the short ribbon cable that runs from the MPU to the Power Driver board? Pretty sure that's your problem.

#4 8 years ago

Yes I did....didn't fix the problem. Mind you, lights around the piano and slot machine are now coming on....but nothing on the clock or any other GI's that I can see.

#5 8 years ago

Small ribbon cable going to the colordmd reversed ?

#6 8 years ago

I would unhook everything and reconnect it. Garbled stuff like that always makes me think pins are off a bit

#7 8 years ago

Your DMD has entered ................................ The Twilight Zone!

But seriously, if it both the color DMD and regular, it will most likely be the long ribbon cable from the DMD board. Unplug it, check the red line is on pin 1 on both boards, reseat. But - if in the empty post there is something about other lights being out - fuse check in order.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Small ribbon cable going to the colordmd reversed ?

Negative

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Your DMD has entered ................................ The Twilight Zone!
But seriously, if it both the color DMD and regular, it will most likely be the long ribbon cable from the DMD board. Unplug it, check the red line is on pin 1 on both boards, reseat. But - if in the empty post there is something about other lights being out - fuse check in order.

I'm assuming you mean the ribbon cable going direct to the DMD? If so, I swapped with one from WH20. Exact same issues persisted. The thing that gets me.....is why won't the regular DMD come on when hooked up. As you suggest....guess I'll start pulling fuses!

#10 8 years ago

Did a pin(s) on either of the headers for the short wide ribbon cable get bent on the PCB?

#11 8 years ago

OK....so I swapped out the controller board from WH20 to TZ. Voila, the color DMD is working. NOW.............I'm not getting any power to coils. Error on boot up says clock is broken..................grrrrrrr.

#12 8 years ago

Found blown fuse. Replaced. Still clock broken error, but at least I'm getting power to the coils now.

Strange thing thats happening. Once I power on the pin, it's like all the coils fire at once (before game has booted), including ejecting a ball from the trough. Gremlins are at work here I say!!

3 months later
#13 7 years ago

Was this ever resolved?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Was this ever resolved?

I too, would be curious. My WCS still has a very, very random (energize everything before the CPU boots) issue. I've replaced so many boards, all ribbon cables replaced, repinned everything...convinced there is a wire shorting somewhere. My TZ occasionally "blinks" hard enough to trigger some activity, but the WCS will actually blow fuses. Odd indeed........

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I too, would be curious. My WCS still has a very, very random (energize everything before the CPU boots) issue. I've replaced so many boards, all ribbon cables replaced, repinned everything...convinced there is a wire shorting somewhere. My TZ occasionally "blinks" hard enough to trigger some activity, but the WCS will actually blow fuses. Odd indeed........

What does your voltage measure across C31 on the MPU board? Anything between 4.75 and 4.85 volts can cause intermittent loss of power tripping the watchdog circuit causing a reset or intermittent boot up. At 4.70 volts, I experienced the MPU will not even boot up.

Could even be a MPU that is on the verge of going out. It would be good to try this WPC-S MPU in another game.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What does your voltage measure across C31 on the MPU board? Anything between 4.75 and 4.85 volts can cause intermittent loss of power tripping the watchdog circuit causing a reset or intermittent boot up. At 4.70 volts, I experienced the MPU will not even boot up.
Could even be a MPU that is on the verge of going out. It would be good to try this WPC-S MPU in another game.

The WPC-S MPU is a new Rottendog.....sent it to Chris Hibler some time back, and he said it checked fine. I know I'm paranoid, but I'm big on the " if it's not broken" scenario, so very reluctant to start screwing w a board change on a machine that is behaving.

I had convinced myself that I fixed it when I changed the thermistor AND power switch out.....got about 2 months of " soft" starts...then problem slowly, randomly appears, only on energizing the machine.

You mention checking voltage across C31....is there any chance the transformer could be wonky? Kept hoping the problem would just get worse until a complete failure happened, but it will vanish and reappear randomly......

#17 7 years ago

I'll take to pm land, as this will probably get geeky, and a bit off topic.....

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'll take to pm land, as this will probably get geeky, and a bit off topic.....

PM sent. Thanks.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Was this ever resolved?

Funny you should ask. Yes, was finally resolved last week. However, I wouldn't even be able to explain what the problem/problems were. Other than to say that it was just a coincidence that TZ went down when I installed the Colour DMD as I don't believe the issue was related to the installation. For those that are interested, see the thread located here, to see what my tech buddy had to do to figure out the issue. http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/15-twilight-zone-w-lots-of-issues.4802/

#20 7 years ago

excellent info and documentation! thanks for sharing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.50
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 14.95
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-colordmd-and-regular-dmd-on-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.