• Latest reply 11 years ago by mdclips
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

led_bulb.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Got in a bulk order of 100 Cointaker frosted led's and they fit fine in the head and I go to put them on my Joker Poker playfield and they are too wide. The plastic ring around the cap where it meets the metal body is the issue and they don't fit in the bulb holes in the playfield. This seemed strange as my previous Cointaker frosted led's fit fine. I found one from the previous order and noticed it is much skinnier where the plastic cap meets the body. I wonder if I got a strange batch? I figured I'd read about it on here if anyone else has experienced this. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see about it but it really has me curious to see if anyone else has run into this?

#2 11 years ago

I dunno but their new frosteds are 2LED so maybe these are wider.

#3 11 years ago

I believe Melissa has mentioned this recently in another thread. It's being corrected from their supplier and I'm sure if you contact her she can make it right and help ya out

[email protected]

#4 11 years ago

Could be that, but the plastic ridge where the plastic meets the metal really sticks out. I'm assuming Joker Poker's bulb holes in the playfield width are pretty standard so I'd imagine a lot of people running into this.

#5 11 years ago

Yeah I never had a problem with Cointaker but I'm just being impatient till they open

#6 11 years ago

Can you post a comparison picture?

#7 11 years ago

They are wider and they are working on a fix. Melissa from Cointaker chimed in recently:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-issues

I had the same problem for the GI on an older Gottlieb. Luckily, I have a 1" belt sander and carefully sanded off the extra around the fatter part. Only took a few minutes and they still worked fine. I look forward to the new taller/skinner LEDs like the old design.

#8 11 years ago

I was just about to order a bunch. Should I wait?

#9 11 years ago

Wolfmarsh here ya go. You can see how fat that plastic ring is on the new one.

led_bulb.JPGled_bulb.JPG

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was just about to order a bunch. Should I wait?

Call them first just to be safe.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from HeyNow:

Thanks for posting that. Was curious to see how much difference.

#12 11 years ago

Reminds me of having to grind down replacement auto parts to make them fit. One reason I no longer care to repair cars!

#13 11 years ago

I got some of the fat design ones and they don't fit. Going to try sanding em down.

#14 11 years ago

I don't even understand the need for those rings. Cheap Chinese way of substituting for epoxy?

#15 11 years ago

Will they fit if you drop the holder and install from under playfield?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Not like they should! The playfield is how thick?

#17 11 years ago

............I just finished shopping out my Shrek and also had this problem of the LED not fitting in the hole.

#18 11 years ago

Too big for the.............................................

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not like they should! The playfield is how thick?

I dont get the thick part. If you put the bulb in the holder and install the holder with tbe bulb already in it, it would be at it's normal height.
I had a problem where the bulbs under my bsd slings had to be installed this way. The hole in the playfield is big.enough to house the bulb once its in the holder, there just isnt enough room for play to twist it in from up top. I believe the instructions recommended this method.

#20 11 years ago

I'm really glad for this post- I was this close to checkout on cointaker.
I hate to have to send things back.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I dont get the thick part. If you put the bulb in the holder and install the holder with tbe bulb already in it, it would be at it's normal height.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

At best they would sit way to low. The top of the bulb wouldn't even reach the playfield surface.

#23 11 years ago

Hey guys, the standard frosted 2-led bulbs are in the process of being remolded...we have some colors in stock, but not all. The premium frosted's cannot be remolded, unfortunately.

If you have any that you want to send back for no fit, please call and let me know.

Melissa
570-847-9595

#24 11 years ago

Same happened to me, posted about it a few months ago.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-cointaker-frosted-leds-for-gi-in-smb-dont-seem-to-fit

CoinTaker did the right thing and shipped me new bulbs.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Cheap Chinese way of substituting for epoxy?

These are made in China?? Thought they were made here in the USA.

#26 11 years ago

Wait, so am I hearing that the premium frosteds won't work for GI? Is this an issue with only some titles or what? Can anybody give some specifics on diameter so we can avoid ordering something we can't use?

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

These are made in China?? Thought they were made here in the USA.

If I had to guess, they come from Shenzhen Chengming in China. (Based on google searching). If you wanted to get them significantly cheaper, you might look into that.

#28 11 years ago

From my experience premiums are not necessary for GI. I use the regular frosteds

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Hey guys, the standard frosted 2-led bulbs are in the process of being remolded...we have some colors in stock, but not all. The premium frosted's cannot be remolded, unfortunately.
If you have any that you want to send back for no fit, please call and let me know.
Melissa
570-847-9595

As usual, the best customer service in the hobby. They will always get my business. And, two of the nicest people you will ever deal with.

#30 11 years ago

I had the same problem with stargate .I tried to remove the thick ridge and the top came off.
I sent the rest back. They are in the process of replacing them with thinner ones.
Good communication and customer service.

2 weeks later
#31 11 years ago

Does anybody know if this situation has been completely resolved yet (no more oversized bulbs being sent out). I think I'd like to place my order now.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from HeyNow:

Notice in that picture that the bayonet hooks are much better made on the 'fat' bulbs .. they are properly sized and positioned. The narrow style is much more like the Ablaze ones where the dimple is so large and higher up, making it very hard to insert into stubborn sockets where the spring doesn't properly compress into the bottom hole. This in turn leads to much more force needed to insert and given the overall quality of the CT tops, tons of needless loosening and possible shorts/broken wires.

I just ordered a sample set of all the CT stuff in one color in bayonet. A dismal 6 of 18 arrived with loose tops, and another 2 opened up after only a few insert/removal tries. One broke off the soldered wire inside and now is useles. Others I super glued before trying multiple insert/removals. Compare this with a large order of Ablaze 1 LED frosteds... only two of 120 arrived loose and only 1 other loosened after multiple uses. And those were 28 c each vs 79 c (or more) each!

Quoted from o-din:

Does anybody know if this situation has been completely resolved yet (no more oversized bulbs being sent out). I think I'd like to place my order now.

I need to order over 250 frosted in the near future now that I've narrowed my selection down to that style.

I hope they can address three quality areas before I order that large amount (and communicate that with us once available)
- Lenses/Rings narrower again
- Bayonet flanges better sized/positioned (as it appears on the fatter ones)
- Tops securely glued from factory so I dont have to superglue to prevent breakage.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Doubtfull...I just ordered some 2 weeks ago and it was the same thing. For the record mine where single frosteds. I just got the dremmel out and took care of it in a minute.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

Ablaze 1 LED frosteds...

My only complaint about Ablaze ... they don't have a warm white. The regular white is too blue.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

My only complaint about Ablaze ... they don't have a warm white.

Yeah I never understood that.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

My only complaint about Ablaze ... they don't have a warm white. The regular white is too blue.

Agree and really agree!

For inserts, the tinted blue "cool white" frosted 1 LED ablaze worked great for me on my high speed. It shifted yellows from amber/orange back to yellow, oranges from rust red back to orange, and clears from amber to a cool grey-ish white.

However (as I did GI testing) they also are very flickery with any physical eye movement and compared to almost all other leds, very blueish, so I couldn't use them outside of controlled inserts.

They have the f-ing bright 4 SMD's now in warm white; I really wish they could do those frosted singles in warm white.

However, after sampling the CT frosteds which worked MUCH better in illuminating the highly angled large inserts better, I may be switching the entire thing over to those, both for controlled (already as Ablaze) as well as PF and backbox GI which I'm doing next. But I dont want to make the inserts blinding, and why only the CT frosted could be my only option next to the Ablaze's.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Doubtfull...I just ordered some 2 weeks ago and it was the same thing. For the record mine where single frosteds. I just got the dremmel out and took care of it in a minute.

Exactly what is needed to do if they won't Fit .. I suggest calling or Email-n Chris or Melissa before you make an Order for Frosted's and make Sure the New Style is available ..

#38 11 years ago

I swear by Cointaker leds. I would suggest their retro bulbs for GI. They are awesome.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Exactly what is needed to do if they won't Fit .. I suggest calling or Email-n Chris or Melissa before you make an Order for Frosted's and make Sure the New Style is available ..

Not sure I feel like dremmeling 100+ bulbs, so maybe a phonecall is in order. Let me know what you find out BR.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure I feel like dremmeling 100+ bulbs,

If they are 44s you're already being saved a ton of time not having to bend the metal contacts of the 555s...so there's time saved!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If they are 44s you're already being saved a ton of time not having to bend the metal contacts of the 555s...so there's time saved!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure I feel like dremmeling 100+ bulbs, so maybe a phonecall is in order. Let me know what you find out BR.

Just Talked w/ Chris ,, The New Frosted's are still being Tooled down from the manufacturer . I also told him to tell them to put some Xtra Glue around the Cap !! Chris said " He's gonna get out his Whip and crack an Azz " Just have Faith in CoinTaker ,,, I do !!!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

The New Frosted's are still being Tooled down from the manufacturer

Let them use the dremmel!

#44 11 years ago

Oh by the way- Thanks again BR!

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

Actually, go check PBL now. Ablaze 1 LED flat or frosted (not concave yet) are now available in both cool AND WARM white!

Just saw them appear tonight.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had this same issue with the F2K GI's. These frosted bulbs were way too large. CT gave me a refund without hesitation. Great customer service as well.

#47 11 years ago

555 LED's are the worst IMHO. Well atleast with the early Bally 555 sockets used on games like EBD, Fathom etc. My first EBD resto was nightmare with the LED's. My fingers were sore from the force needed to insert them. Then half of them weren't lighting. even the retro LED in 555 were very hard to get into the sockets although once in, they did light better. On my 2nd EBD resto, I changed all the sockets to bayonet(44's) and life was much better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-cointaker-frosted-leds-width-cap-too-wide-to-fit-into-bulb-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.