1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

xmas cats (resized).JPG
    Img_1068e (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I have four strings of LED lights on my tree, 70 lamps per string, three string wire.

Two of the strings have 1/3 or so of the lamps out on each. The point where the working bulbs stop and the dead ones start is a component of some sort that is inline with one of the three wires. It is about 2 inches long, round and enclosed in a plastic case with a wire at each end. The plugs on each string have two fuses in them and have been tested good with my DMM. What is in this pod and how should go about troubleshooting these strings?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Alan

#2 1 year ago

Bust one open and see. Maybe a filter, or maybe where you can join strings together, maybe it makes them flash or twinkle.

Youtube has lots of videos, maybe one of them will help.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fixing+led+christmas+lights

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Thanks Lloyd, but these are in the middle of the string (two per string) and are sealed. The lights are not flash or wink lights.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

but these are in the middle of the string (two per string)

I edited post. Youtube may help.

#5 1 year ago

Hey Lloyd, you da' man!

I watched one of the Utube videos and saw how to fix them. You do need a LED bulb tester to find the bad bulb, and that is the problem here.

The "pod" is actually a rectifier because LED Christmas tree light strings run on DC, not AC to avoid flickering. I think this may be the same issue that affects LEDs in old Bally/Stern machine where you have to change the Lamp Driver board when installing LEDs. Or not.

Thanks again, Lloyd.

#6 1 year ago

They do make light testers a special tool have wore them out before This is why i still do the tree with incandescent lights still. Been fixing them so long its like an old bike jump on and go. Had some led sets flickered too much and once they broke to the scrap bucket they went at 15$ each was kinda pissed have paid under 2$ for the others and getting on average 5 to 10 years out of them found some this year that 19 yrs old this year. I'll go snap picture then get it on the computer for all to see.

#7 1 year ago

The elves are trimming Santa’s Christmas Tree. 1/2 the tree has red lights, 1/3 has blue lights and 2/5 must have green lights.

What is the total amount of lights needed for the tree?

#8 1 year ago

Ok got the picture yes it gets warm. lights or spread over 3 different cords to keep for starting a fire by overloading cord. care to guess the number of lights. lets just say i keep a pre made spread sheet to pull it off. Added 42 bubble lights after the photo the light you see is the light off the tree no flash.

Img_1068e (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from cp1610:

care to guess the number of lights.

This many.

#10 1 year ago

The tester is a light keeper pro the red version is for incandescent lights and the yellow is for led sets.

#11 1 year ago

xmas cats (resized).JPG

#12 1 year ago

Great looking tree! Props for using Bubble Lights!!

#13 1 year ago

OK no guesses on numbers i have had to use a hand made form to track the lights and one which of the 3 cords to balance the load the total number before bubble lights is 4200 then the added 42 bubble lights. Keeps room warm lol.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 14.00
    $ 50.00
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside