(Topic ID: 23720)

Problem with 2 New X Pin Power Supplies - anybody else bought them?

By ScottinSGFNY

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I bought 2 different X-pin Power Supplies and they both have issues:
    (These were purchased from K's Arcade and not E-bay so they aren't the stuff that was thrown out)

XPin Power Supply for Data East, 520-5047-00
    Works but the DMD has a bunch of Static especially when Solenoids or Flashers are activated -
    I read something about Rottendog having these issues with their Power Supplies and some DMD's so I paid $30 more and the X Pin seems to have the same issues.
    This I put in LW3, I took the DMD from LW3 and tested it in another machine and it works 100%

The other is a XP-WMS12246 that I put in my working Black Knight 2000 which the displays seemed a little over juiced on - The Power Supply was just wacky - made the top display look outgassed, made sounds repeat - just totally not working right - so out that came.

So I guess I will contact X-Pin as that's what K's suggested but wanted to see if anyone else is having good or bad luck with X-Pin Power Supplies.

ScottinSGFNY

#2 7 years ago

(This is Frax, this is my wife's account lol!)

I just talked to Brett last night. Definitely give him a call or email. Very nice guy and he stands behind his stuff. He had me call him when I had what I thought was a pretty simple answer but it was great to ta about his stuff for a while. I ordered my stuff through BAA, he will still support it. Mine was just a simple question but no doubt in my mind he will assist you. Don't sell the board just yet. He may need them back to check for a manufacturer defect or something....

-Frax

#3 7 years ago

He may even drop you a line on here or you could pm him. He is here as XPinPinball.

He started this thread:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bogus-xpin-reseller-on-ebay

#4 7 years ago

Brett is the best and stands behind his stuff like no one else. I have his PS in my R&B and it is great - even saved me and the PS one time when I did something stupid. I'm sure if you reach out to him you'll be back up and running in no time.

viperrwk

#5 7 years ago

Brett is great, he will help you.

#6 7 years ago

Brett called me and it looks like the DE power supply is ok, looks like the old DMD might be the issue.

The Williams 11b power supply is getting replaced as it seems to have a short.

#7 7 years ago

Now that's service!

viperrwk

#8 7 years ago

I appreciate everyone's support. This is a great hobby! I need to add a little bit more to Scott update...

S

Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:Brett called me and it looks like the DE power supply is ok, looks like the old DMD might be the issue.

The Williams 11b power supply is getting replaced as it seems to have a short.

Unfortunately the power supply is not working correctly and I will be replacing it as well. When the DMD went bad it also caused a problem on my supply...but I do need some help from the community in understanding what is happening...

Concerning the DE games in general, the stories I hear from customers are that the HV section on the orignal power supplies, particularly the +68V, is the first to fail, and when they get rebuilt, they keep failing until the DMD display fails. One customer indicated he rebuilt his entire HV section on the original power supply 3 times. Each time it would work for about a week then fail again. After the final rebuild both the power supply and the display went up. The display itself was a Cherry display. He ended up buying one of my PS-5047's (before XPin) and a new Vishay display from Terry at Pinball Life. To the best of my knowledge it is still working.

Over the past 6 months, Scott's isn't the only game that had this same issue, but I have been keeping track and it seems that there is a relationship between the failures of the original DE supplies and Cherry displays...and my supplies.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Brett is the best and stands behind his stuff like no one else. I have his PS in my R&B and it is great - even saved me and the PS one time when I did something stupid. I'm sure if you reach out to him you'll be back up and running in no time.

viperrwk

Viperrwk has this same supply in his R&B. I have installed this same supply personally in a LW3 and JP, but one had a Babcock and the other had a Vishay. So, what I am asking for is any stories of similiar failures with Cherry displays? Doesn't necessarily have to be with regard to DE games, but any games with Cherry displays?

Brett

#9 7 years ago

I had a game that Didn't like the X pin PS.. we swapped to another machine and it worked great so we knew it wasn't the PS.. Let me check with my guys and see if it was running a Cherry DMD, I think you might be on to something

#10 7 years ago

That would be appreciated. I heard that Jim Knight (Rottendog) had a similar problem and it also was never resolved. I have spent hours pouring over the schematics of the Cherry display, the DE power supply schematics and wiring diagrams, and the DE controller and I haven't really come up with anything.

#11 7 years ago

Could the displays just be outgassing and pulling more current? Exactly at what point should a gassing display be replaced because of damage it can do to the power supply?

#12 7 years ago

I forgot to mention, earlier this year a new X-Pin power supply was installed in Hook with a Cherry display. Game fired right up and has been working with no issues ever since. Speaking of compatibility Brett, did you ever figure out the problem seen on Elvira/Police Force with the board you sent us? To recap, the game would make a loud buzzing sound through the speakers and not start up if the cabinet volume potentiometer was connected to the sound board.

#13 7 years ago

Crash,

Yes, found out that I had a low resisistive short on one of the electrolytic caps on the -12V.

Brett

#14 7 years ago

Ah! I knew it was a short somewhere. So was that a manufacturing flaw? You said you tested that board in your Rollergames (which is also a System 11b) and you said it worked fine.

#15 7 years ago

Brett -
    I checked the display on my R&B and it is indeed a Cherry. I've had no issues with it and have put about 150 games on the PS. The only thing I will say is that after about 10-15 min the machine has a very loud hum from the DMD, though I chalk that up to the crappy DE design. LMK if there's anything else you'd like me to check.

viperrwk

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Ah! I knew it was a short somewhere. So was that a manufacturing flaw? You said you tested that board in your Rollergames (which is also a System 11b) and you said it worked fine.

Definitely a mfg defect.

Quoted from viperrwk:

I checked the display on my R&B and it is indeed a Cherry. I've had no issues with it and have put about 150 games on the PS. The only thing I will say is that after about 10-15 min the machine has a very loud hum from the DMD, though I chalk that up to the crappy DE design. LMK if there's anything else you'd like me to check.

Viperrwk, thanks for checking that out. It is appreciated. I have never not played a DE game and not had that hum, regardless of my supply in the game or an original.

#17 7 years ago

On the Rottendog board I pulled my scope out and I had ac ripple on if I remember correctly was the 5VDC line. Don't quote me but I will have to go through my emails. I don't know what DMD we had in my GNR but I can check that out tonight also. Rebuilt the original and still running with the DE power board.

#18 7 years ago

How's the supply of colour displays coming Brett?

#19 7 years ago

Yeah Rottendog is garbage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.50
    $ 14.00
    $ 219.00
    € 3.70
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 47.00
    $ 315.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    liorillusion
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.00
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside