You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1410 (resized).JPG
IMG_1407 (resized).JPG
20200102_164032_resized (resized).jpg
20200102_170055_resized (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyberslunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

Apologies for posting so many help topics but my new pin is so close to 100% working.

My final issue at the moment is that the actual spinning of the cards isn't working. It just increments to the next card in line. I've done some simple cleaning of the switches on the Spin Relay and Spin Unit, but it's still not working.

One thing I've noticed that may be of note is that on the Spin Unit someone suggested it's supposed to wind up, but it doesn't appear to be doing so. I'm willing to take it apart even though it's a bit daunting, but I'm unsure of exactly what I should do with it once it's apart. If this is even the right thing to do. Someone mentioned a third potential spin mechanism but I cannot find it, if there's supposed to be one.

If anyone can help I'd be most appreciative, then I can quit bothering you guys with questions and get back to enjoying my pin in top shape

#2 4 years ago

Actually now I do see the Spin Pulse Switch, which appears to be part of the Spin Unit.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

There are two coils on the spin unit. One essentially winds it up and the other releases the tension and spins the spinner. The switch connected to the spinner likely activates an AS type relay. Are you able to manually advance and release the spin unit so that the spinner freely spins?
The coil that winds the spin unit might be activated through a normally closed switch on the spin unit. On my Flip A Card I found that the normally closed switch was out of adjustment and dirty and the spin unit would not wind.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will post some pictures or possibly even a video tonight to show you me manually messing with it. By the spinner, do you mean the little thing that looks like a playfield spinner or the thing connected to the gears? The big gear thing only spins a little bit each direction before stopped by a switch on each side and I am able to spin the spinner thing manually.

I did notice the plunger thing on the coils is pretty dirty. Could powdered graphite help or would I need to take it apart and clean it? Would that even help?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Correct.
The "spinner" is the device in the lower cabinet. It is wound up by strikes off one of the popper sets (If I remember correct). Once it is fully wound it stops and is not released till you land in the spin hole. Once you land in the spin hole, the spinner is released and as the spinner rotates it pulses the AS relay causing the backglass animation.
It sounds like the spinner is not being wound up. If it is unwound you will only get one position change which can happen in normal play if you land in the spin hole and then immediately land in a spin hole again.
Check to see if the "wind" coil is getting pulses from the popper relay and advancing the unit. It might be as simple as a misadjusted switch on the spinner unit or dirty contact on the popper relay or dead/frozen "wind" coil on the spinner unit.
Here is a video of mine in action, you can clearly hear the spinner release at the 50 second mark and see the reflection of backglass of the animation.

Thank you for the info and video. It does not appear to be getting wound up. I see the one coil pulsing from the bumpers, but the other coil that advances the gears to spin the spinner doesn't seem to be spinning. When moving it manually, it tends to be kinda sticky. Could I just put some graphite powder on the plunger thing that goes into the gear coil? I'm not sure how to go about fixing this even if we do diagnose the problem.

I will take pictures and stuff tonight but it seems like the gear that is supposed to hit the spinner, which makes the switch contact rapidly go on and off is sort of stuck and doesn't spin. I wish I could explain this better, but it sounds like how you said a "frozen wind coil". How would I fix that?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Depends if the coil is melted or the plunger is rusted up.
See if you can manually wind the unit up by working the plunger a few times.
I'll try and take pictures of mine when I get home tonight.

Nah it isn't melted or rusted. I found this from another thread, which better describes what I'm trying to

"On the bottom board, to the right of the score motor, is the spin unit. This is a stepper with a small rectangular metal spinner and a bakelite finger attached to the stepper gear shaft. The finger is positioned such that it can flick the spinner and make it spin.

The spin unit steps up several times to wind up its torsion return spring. (This is what isn't working, the gears on the other side appear to be stuck.)

When the spin function is activated, the reset coil of the spin unit stepper is energized, releasing the gear and allowing the torsion spring to snap the finger back to the reset position. As the finger snaps back, it flicks the spinner and makes it spin. A switch attached to the metal spinner pulses the spin pulse relay."

I know you basically said this in your posts but wanted to call out for my own sake where I think my issue is originating from

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Some stuff to check.
Picture with the black arrow, spinner unit. The coil on the top is the release, the one with black arrow winds it up or advances it.
When you hit "spin" the unit should release (upper coil) and then the score motor will ratchet 5 times (advance coil). The yellow pop bumpers should advance it 3 more times till it hits the stop contact. Those 3 times are important as you will only get one card position without it.
See if the unit advances 5 times after it release, see if it advances when yellow pop bumpers are hit, see if you can manually work the plunger on the advance coil if not.
Picture with red arrow- This is the relay that actually advances the AS relay. The spinner unit triggers it to fire rapidly and it moves the AS relay.
You should be able to manually activate the relay by pressing down on the switch stack. Every time you press down and release, the AS relay will advance the cards one position. In this way you can check to see if the relay is triggering the AS relay and it is working as designed.
Good hunting.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pics, based on your steps it seems to stop working at the ratcheting of the score motor. Is this also referred to as a stepper unit? Should I take it apart and clean it?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Can you manually advance the unit by working the advance plunger?

Nope, when I move the plunger the gear tries to turn but gets stuck like it's gummed up

#13 4 years ago

Actually I think it does start ratcheting up a bit after it get warmed up but whenever the other plunger shoots in to release the board that's supposed to spin the spinner, that thing just lazily moves back instead of snapping back to spin the spinner

#14 4 years ago

Also something to note is this all worked fine up until a few days ago

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Can you manually advance the unit by working the advance plunger?

Sort of. It tries to and often fails but sometimes it sort of works. It definitely never kicks the teardrop board to the spinner.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd look close at the mechanism then and see if you can located the reason for binding.

Will do, thank you for the help sir. I'll probably tinker with it this weekend. Feel a cold coming on though

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Since seems to be iffy and possibly better after warming up, maybe just a drop of light oil on the shaft of the spinner kicker and all the pivots in that unit, and then work them manually to see if it loosens up.

Would powdered graphite be good for this or is there a specific type of oil?

#23 4 years ago

What's interesting that I've noticed is that the first 3-4 times after I turn the machine on, the spinner will work fine but then stops. I still haven't gotten around to opening it back up again but once my new bulbs come in I'll tinker on it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyberslunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-1969-spin-a-card-spinner-mechanisms?tu=cyberslunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.