Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ledge
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I bought a POTC HUO at Expo this year. I just realized it has very old software (v. 1.15) and I'd like to update to the latest (6.0). However, POTC doesn't appear to have have an option in the menu for USB update (like my ST Pro does). It only has an option for Backup.

So, instead, I tried following the procedure posted on the Stern site (dip sw #8, etc.), but when I power cycle the machine or hit the reset button per the instructions, I just end up with a blank display and it appears to be stuck there. No menu options seem to appear. I can't get to a point where it is asking for a USB to be inserted. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. As I understand it, POTC was one of the early machines in this regard, so I'm hoping someone with some experience on this can help me out.

#2 10 years ago

So as a starting point, I've ordered the SAM 3.1 Bootflash ROM from John Wart Jr. as I assume the one in the machine is not current. Hopefully, that will help things along.

Even if the menu came up asking for the USB to be inserted, I'm pretty certain it would not read it since my USB is 4GB (or larger) which apparently caused issues with the old EPROM version if they were larger than 128MB.

#3 10 years ago

No one is chiming in on this issue... Apparently I am a few years slow on having this issue. The only post I could find related to the topic was on RGP.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I can't get to a point where it is asking for a USB to be inserted...

So as a starting point, I've ordered the SAM 3.1 Bootflash ROM from John Wart Jr. as I assume the one in the machine is not current. Hopefully, that will help things along.

I think that will help.

Quoted from tbanthony:

Even if the menu came up asking for the USB to be inserted, I'm pretty certain it would not read it since my USB is 4GB (or larger) which apparently caused issues with the old EPROM version if they were larger than 128MB.

No. I recently updated a Pirate's running about the same version (factory) using at least a 1gb stick (can't recall which one I used) and it went fine. Just make sure the drive is formatted FAT32 and the file is unzipped. Also, when you insert the USB drive, the game should audibly let you know it recognizes the drive within a few seconds. Just because a USB drive's power LED lights up doesn't mean that the game recognizes the drive. Listen for the PC-like boop-boop sound.

#5 10 years ago

I have updated my ST Pro successfully, so I can compare notes with it. So despite the POTC instructions indicating that under the USB service menu option that there should be an "update" option just like my ST Pro, I don't see one. I haven't seen that issue listed anywhere by anyone but I'll cross my fingers that the updated Bootflash ROM will address it.

#6 10 years ago

Check your socketed boot EPROM. I would bet 1 leg is sticking out of the socket. Seen it several times and just helped a guy with exact issue on a STLE.
Visually inspect it, and even if you dont' see 1 out, use a flatblade screwdriver and carefully pull it out and put it back in making sure all the legs are seated correctly.

When #8 is set to on the machine boots from that EPROM. If the EPROM is missing or a leg is out, the GI lights come on an that's it. No display or any activity - just as you're seeing. Could be a bad EPROM, too if not a leg issue.

#7 10 years ago

Mine worked fine, but I did ensure I had the newer boot ROM. I am pretty sure the manual discusses it to some degree since POTC had both versions and only the newer accepted the updates via USB.

#8 10 years ago

I've updated several POTCs with old ass code in them and never once had any issues. With #8 on, he still should boot from the EPROM and get something on the display even without a USB in there.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

POTC had both versions and only the newer accepted the updates via USB.

I have a real early POTC, and no problems updating with USB. I use a Lexar memory stick, which was recommended at that time. And use it for all SAM system updates since then. No problems.

LTG : )

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I've updated several POTCs with old ass code in them and never once had any issues. With #8 on, he still should boot from the EPROM and get something on the display even without a USB in there.

Just to be clear, there are two versions of code - I think you have to have the right boot flash eprom
http://www.sternpinball.com/GAME_bootFLASH.html

Then you can update the game code to 6.0. One other thing is that I THINK the older SAM games need smaller USB sticks; i.e. the original SAM games can't read the newer sticks.

#11 10 years ago

I've seen it before. Often caused by old bootflash code. The earliest versions seemed to have problems with thumb drives bigger than 128 or 256 MB, IIRC

#12 10 years ago

JWjr: but with #8 on, shouldn't he still get the boot eprom screen on the display regardless of the USB being in or out of the board?

#13 10 years ago

I'll check the chip pins are seated after I get the kids to bed. Thanks for the tips and info.

#14 10 years ago

I don't have a single SAM game in my home or shop right now, so I can't be 100% sure.. it's been too long!

#15 10 years ago

For what it's worth, I recently added a POTC to my collection with old software. It took three tries before I had complete, clean, open and unzipped files on my memory stick. When I finally got the download correct the update procedure ran just as described on the Stern site.

#16 10 years ago

Well, the chip seems to be seated ok, but I didn't pull the chip as I wasn't comfortable using a screwdriver to do it and I have an IC puller on order with John along with the newer chip. I'll just wait and give that a go. Besides it being a newer version of the code, I also updated the BIN file using Pinball Browser. I added soundtrack music from the POTC movie, so I'm twice as excited to get the new code installed. For the licensed titles, I'm a big fan of having the original score in the game. I think it's a major miss on Stern's part to exclude it but I realize there are additional licensing issues and costs involved.

#17 10 years ago

Did you try updating with a stock file from stern in addition to the one you modified?

#18 10 years ago

There wasn't a problem with the file, it never made it that far into the process... but I'll give it a go later for giggles.

#19 10 years ago

Ok, I got the new EPROM from John installed just now. That seemed to solve the problem with the EPROM. Now, when I flip the dip switch it provides the option to do an USB update. I get to the point where it says to insert the USB and I do. Then nothing. The USB memory stick light does not come on and the machine just sits there waiting for it to be inserted. Suggestions?

#20 10 years ago

Note: I used this same memory stick on ST Pro with no issues.

#21 10 years ago

Perhaps my problem......?

"The first revision of this board used in World Poker Tour only has an USB 1.1 compatible USB controller. Finding USB sticks which work with this revision can be tricky. If you own this game, see that you can find an old 32MB stick. They usually work fine."

#22 10 years ago

wow. that suxx. all mine are 2.0
perhaps someone has one lying around they could send you on loan?!
try several different ones and make sure it's formatted with fat32 file system. you might get lucky and find one that works.
good luck!

#23 10 years ago

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 4 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-004G-B35. I believe it's supposed to be 1.1 backwards compatible.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other 'old' USB sticks laying around to try as an alternative.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Perhaps my problem......?
"The first revision of this board used in World Poker Tour only has an USB 1.1 compatible USB controller. Finding USB sticks which work with this revision can be tricky. If you own this game, see that you can find an old 32MB stick. They usually work fine."

Yep. This is probably your issue. In general, my steps are:

1) insert USB stick
2) flip switch 8
3) hit reset

If the stick is not recognized, use another. I remember having a hard time finding a stick that worked with pirates.

#25 10 years ago

See if the game recognizes the drive for an audit dump. If yes, try inserting the USB drive first *with the game powered off*, then do your update. Or try a audit dump first to see if it recognizes the drive and completes the dump.

#26 10 years ago

For Pinside record keeping that may help others, using a different USB memory stick did work. Guess it's worth hanging onto an "old" memory stick that is definitively USB 1.1 compatible and a smaller size. I'm not sure exactly what aspect of my memory stick was causing a problem, but one given to me by a friend did the job. I'll be marking that one as my "pinball USB stick" and hanging onto it since I plan to do further updates using Pinball Browser now that I know I can update my POTC.

So... if you can't successfully update a POTC, make sure you have an updated EPROM (especially if you can't even get the update menu to come up after flipping DIP sw #8) and if your USB memory stick doesn't work, then go on the hunt for a different one and try again.

I have no clue what the differences are between v1.15 software and v6.0 but I'm looking forward to finding out now that I'm updated.

Have a good weekend all.

Troy

#27 10 years ago

Glad you got it to work!

#28 10 years ago

Thanks for reporting your experience with this issue, Troy. I believe that was my RGP post a few years ago where I was having trouble updating mine. I got an updated bootflash ROM from JWJ, but never did try to update it after that (game went into storage). Iirc, my game recognized the USB stick but did not see a file to upload. Incidentally, I am having the sam issue with a different USB stick and my METLE where i was able to update to v1.2 just fine, but get it does not see the file when trying to update to v1.22 with the SAME USB stick! Maddening.

Todd

4 months later
#29 9 years ago

Just wanted to add that the stick needs to be formatted using the FAT32 file system. All my sticks are NTFS and I was totally stumped until I stumbled upon a some obscure forum mentioning FAT32. After I reformatted it and copied the update file (.bin) it worked as it should. Strange that nobody has mentioned this before and that it's not mentioned in any of the Stern documents/videos either. Also, it seems as if many of Stern's service bulletins "disappeared" when they moved to the new site. Why I mention this is beacause the one that describes the USB update process is now missing. Had hopes for some help there.

#30 9 years ago

Yes, try re-formatting to FAT32 even if you've cleared all files off the drive and it was already formatted previously to FAT32. Once I re-formatted it, it worked fine for METLE v1.22. Will try the POTC when it comes out of storage.

Todd

#31 9 years ago

I wonder why you'd assume that an NTFS stick would work? That's like assuming that an ext4 stick would work... The amount t of work needed for the board to support the extra filesystem on the embedded device would be ridiculous - especially since all sticks come pre-formatted as fat32.

Even if the system runs a minimal Linux, why compile in the extra filesystem's on the off-chance that someone plugs in something weird? Couple that with the fact that NTFS partially runs in userspace in Linux (at least) and you're taking away memory from the main game code.

Interesting.

#32 9 years ago

I know this is an older thread but this may help someone. Just this week (June 5, 2014) I tried downloading the Eng/Spanish Pirates V6 code from their website and it gave me Eng/French instead.

I tried installing that with a brand new USB stick and I got the same blank screen the OP got(it erased the previous 1.13 version but did not install 6) I then downloaded Eng/Italian on to the same USB and that one installed fine.

So, like he said, try a different version.

Cheers,
Art.

#33 9 years ago

What is your actual contribution to this thread with that comment?

#34 9 years ago

Nothing really, just speculating about why oddly formatted sticks wouldnt work. Sorry for the noise.

4 months later
#35 9 years ago

sorry to restart an old thread. but ive updated an old code on POTC. and that seemed to install fine. but now i have the display going out mid games. game works fine though, just no display. it comes back when i power off/power on. theres not a separate display driver or whatever is there ?
connections are all fine at the back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-updating-potc-from-usb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.