• Viper Stern Electronics, 1981

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-833.jpg
Stern_1980_Big_Game_Schematics_And_Wiring_Diagrams_Hi_resolution_Page_1.jpg
20140212_134859.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a stern Viper with a display problem. I have tried replacing U9, U10, and U11, the issue persists.
Here is a clip of the issue.

Where do I go next?

#2 10 years ago

This is the board.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#3 10 years ago

So you are missing the millions digit on all displays. The digit enable signal goes from the pia, through a resistor with a cap connected to it, then out the MPU j1 connector to the displays. To troubleshoot, place the game in display test. Put your DMM or logic probe on MPU J1 Pin 7 which i think is the millions digit enable signal. Compare reading to pin J1 p1-6. They should all show similar reading in display t est. If that pin is floating or stuck high/low, check the header pin solder joint and associated PIA socket pin.

I am working off of a Bally MPU schematic. I THINK!!! Stern drives digits the million digit the same way. I am at work and only have Bally schem in front of me....

#4 10 years ago

20140212_134859.jpg20140212_134859.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Pin 7 is testing higher than pins 1-6.
Pin 7 = .76v
1-6 = .25v

#6 10 years ago

Well there is a clue.

Stern_1980_Big_Game_Schematics_And_Wiring_Diagrams_Hi_resolution_Page_1.jpgStern_1980_Big_Game_Schematics_And_Wiring_Diagrams_Hi_resolution_Page_1.jpg

I would go to the PIA at U11 and check P3 of the PIA with a logic probe / VDC and compare it to the other digit enable pins right next to it. Next check the solder pad under P3 of the PIA, that will tell you if the socket it bad / the output is floating.

#7 10 years ago

I'm reading .75v at pin 3 vs .33 at pin 4, 5, 6 and such. But I've swapped out this U 11 chip already, so it must originate before that even. Also with the bookkeeping functions giving strange results, I'm wondering if it could be something else.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Tridentphoto:

I'm reading .75v at pin 3 vs .33 at pin 4, 5, 6 and such. But I've swapped out this U 11 chip already, so it must originate before that even. Also with the bookkeeping functions giving strange results, I'm wondering if it could be something else.

Replace the 5101 RAMs then if you book keeping audits are funky and don't save despite being battery backedup. If an audit always goes to some erroneous number, the 5101 is bad or too slow. use PCD5101 in a matching pair get from Great Plains electronics or Arcade Chips. It is rare, but for sure 5101 ram problems can manifest in display issues. Usually it shifts digits to the left or right when i see it.

#9 10 years ago

So, I swapped the MPU in my EBD into the viper, I had the same issue with the displays and millions digit. Then I put the display from my EBD in the viper, and still the same issue. So I put the viper display in my EBD, and the million digit works fine. So it's not the display, and not the MPU. But there isn't a master display board, so does it run through the other board somehow?

Jeff

#10 10 years ago

probably time to repin the display connectors

#11 10 years ago

So it may be the actual white plug sockets themselves that are messing it up?

#12 10 years ago

I guess it's red, but is this what may need to be repinned?image-833.jpgimage-833.jpg

#13 10 years ago

So, turns out that the displays each needed a jumper on them between pin 11-12 to make them activate the millions digit. And while not yet confirmed, I believe the bizarre digits displayed in the bookkeeping is a result of not having a memory battery. I'm getting a super capacitor next week instead, so then I'll know for sure. Chris solved this in the other thread, so I figured I'd update here too just in case anyone was curious.
Jeff

#14 10 years ago

You can clear out the trash being displayed by toggling through the audits and clear each one with the reset button on the door. Of course it may come back after you power off until you get the memory cap in place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-on-mpu-affecting-displays-need-help-to-source-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.