• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170713_175859 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi,

In both speakers there is a strong hum, part of it varies with the display (many or few characters displayed). Hum in on both speakers

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Perhaps you just have a bad ground, but to my knowledge this is common in Jokerz! machines due to their proprietary "stereo" sound board. My Jokerz! had exhibited the same issue. I ended up either rebuilding or replacing the board (can't recall) which lessened the hum significantly but it's still not entirely gone.

#4 6 years ago

Unplug the card spinner in the backbox, does the hum go away?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi,
In both speakers there is a strong hum, part of it varies with the display (many or few characters displayed). Hum in on both speakers
Thanks

Maybe it's just a happy pin?

#6 6 years ago

My Jokerz! has a pretty good hum but I don't leave it on when not playing so it's not really annoying.

I researched the fixes and decided to leave that to the next owner.

#7 6 years ago

Hi,

I thank you a lot for your answers. I am leaving for 15 days and will be back end of the month. Certainly I will check according to your feedback and will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

#8 6 years ago

Mine had the hum too but it wasn't that bad. They all have it but some mor than others. The sound board is hard to find (the only game they used it on), and fix so if it at least works and the sounds are good, you might want to just double check your grounds, and make sure all the boards are tightened down well and just live with it.

#9 6 years ago

20170713_175859 (resized).jpg20170713_175859 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for this. I will check if this change was done

#11 6 years ago

Not to thread jack here, but does anyone have a picture of this actually done? Specifically step 4 since it's not entirely clear (to me) using the picture in the service tip.

#13 6 years ago

Great, that's more explicit

#15 6 years ago

When I had my Jokerz it developed an EXTREMELY loud hum. I tried all the usual fixes (including the above service note).
Nothing worked.
I think it was Korn from the RGP Pinball days that eventually told me to check the DC supply to the sound board. Sure enough there was a lot of AC ripple present. I replaced the bridge rectifiers that supply the DC voltage for the board and it not only fixed the hum but also fixed some other small issues I had been having.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-jokerz-hum-in-speakers?hl=oldschool77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.