(Topic ID: 49828)

Problem - How can I make an external volume control work for a Williams WPC game

By RacerRik

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RacerRik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

No_Fear_Back_Box_Speakers_8856.jpg
No_Fear_12inch_Woofer_8850.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheKorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

I am just concerned about what bad might come from leaving the coin door interlock for memory protect disabled.

Not much. The coin door interlock disable was a holdover from the WMS 3-7 era 9 (& possibly earlier), when WMS was using reallllllllly crappy cabinet bottoms. What would happen is people would either punch out the speaker (when it was forward mounted) or drill/cut the bottom of the cabinet to get the coin box. After that, they'd play with the buttons to set the game on free play and/or something stupid like 10 credits / coin drop. With the coin door protection feature, if the coin door was closed then you literally can't write ANYTHING to the section of RAM that stores settings.

You can see remnants of this on some old machines, where they have a steel plate on the underside of the cabinet. Didn't fix the puch-the-speaker-out problem, though that slowly migrated to the back of the cabinet.

It technically also protects the RAM against an accidental write while powering up/down. But I think that's a technical possibility rather than a likelyhood. I have a few games where I permanently shorted the memory protect, and many years later have never had a problem with them.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nothing bad will come from it. I wouldn't worry. I think its mainly to prevent something jarring around and making settings changes when the game is being shipped or moved.

Kind of tough to make changes to a game that's unplugged! Or are you envisioning someone pulling a Costanza Frogger move?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheKorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-how-can-i-make-an-external-volume-control-work-for-a-williams-wpc-game?tu=TheKorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.