(Topic ID: 49828)

Problem - How can I make an external volume control work for a Williams WPC game

By RacerRik

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RacerRik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

No_Fear_Back_Box_Speakers_8856.jpg
No_Fear_12inch_Woofer_8850.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just did a speaker upgrade on my No Fear and decided to build an external volume control. All of my testing was with the coin door open. So I finally get it all finished (and it came out beautiful) only to find that the coin door buttons are disabled when the coin door is closed. Fat lot of good an external volume control does when you have to open the door to make it work!!!

So, is there a way to cheat the coin door interlock? There are two coin door "refrigerator switches" so I checked and the one that controls the high voltage seems to be the one that locks out the coin door switches. I don't know what the other swiotch is for.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

OK - I did some more testing and it seems the high voltage switch is not the one that locks out the coin door switches. The other switch is the coin door open / memory protect switch.

I disconnected that switch and the external volume control now works exactly how I wanted it to work.

The new question is what if that switch is always open? Does that mean the memory is not protected? And if so, is that a big deal? What could go wrong with that switch always open?

#3 10 years ago

Ping Lorenzo at pinnovators. I think they have one already. I know for stern definitely but I think a bw one is either in the works or exists already.

#4 10 years ago

What speaker upgrade did you use? Home made?

#5 10 years ago

What speaker upgrade did you use? Home made?

I put it together using parts from MCM Electronics. Described it in another thread here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-no-fear-after-acdc

Here is a picture of the woofer:

No_Fear_12inch_Woofer_8850.jpgNo_Fear_12inch_Woofer_8850.jpg

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

OK - I did some more testing and it seems the high voltage switch is not the one that locks out the coin door switches. The other switch is the coin door open / memory protect switch.
I disconnected that switch and the external volume control now works exactly how I wanted it to work.
The new question is what if that switch is always open? Does that mean the memory is not protected? And if so, is that a big deal? What could go wrong with that switch always open?

If you used an L-pad you wouldn't have to worry about any of that.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you used an L-pad you wouldn't have to worry about any of that.

How would an L-Pad allow me to adjust the volume without opening the coin door?

#8 10 years ago

Here is a pic of the ugraded back box speakers.

No_Fear_Back_Box_Speakers_8856.jpgNo_Fear_Back_Box_Speakers_8856.jpg

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

How would an L-Pad allow me to adjust the volume without opening the coin door?

L-pads are wired directly to the speakers. They present an equivalent load to the amp regardless of volume setting. Mount the L-pad where you want it, run the wires to the speaker. Turn the main volume up to the max you want it to be. Close the coin door. Now you can adjust the volume from zero to your max without having to open the coin door.

Some L-pad info here:
http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

L-pads are wired directly to the speakers. They present an equivalent load to the amp regardless of volume setting. Mount the L-pad where you want it, run the wires to the speaker. Turn the main volume up to the max you want it to be. Close the coin door. Now you can adjust the volume from zero to your max without having to open the coin door.
Some L-pad info here:
http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm

The lpad would need to be wired to each channel separately. Personally, I like hot wiring the door open switch "open" better. As an FYI, the No Fear uses the same tda2030 amps that acdc premium used. A 12" is too much speaker for that amp. An efficient 8" would probably out perform it for that reason. This was all discussed in my acdc "massively improve" thread if you read it. I'm sure the 12" is better then the garbage that came with the game. But it really would need an amp to push some bass.

#11 10 years ago

I am quite familiar with L-Pads. Been building custom speakers for years. My question is how would that solve my problem? No Fear is a WPC-S game, which means it has two audio channels. So are you suggesting I use two L-Pads externally mounted to control volume?

I just want the function of the coin door switches available without opeing the coin door. As noted above, I actually have that capability now. I am just concerned about what bad might come from leaving the coin door interlock for memory protect disabled.

Maybe I need to ask that question in a different thread?

#12 10 years ago

Nothing bad will come from it. I wouldn't worry. I think its mainly to prevent something jarring around and making settings changes when the game is being shipped or moved. In your home it makes no difference. To make the lpad idea with, you'd use a stereo capable lpad and wire backbox to left and cabinet to right.

#13 10 years ago

You could run the coin door to an external toggle switch.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

I am just concerned about what bad might come from leaving the coin door interlock for memory protect disabled.

Not much. The coin door interlock disable was a holdover from the WMS 3-7 era 9 (& possibly earlier), when WMS was using reallllllllly crappy cabinet bottoms. What would happen is people would either punch out the speaker (when it was forward mounted) or drill/cut the bottom of the cabinet to get the coin box. After that, they'd play with the buttons to set the game on free play and/or something stupid like 10 credits / coin drop. With the coin door protection feature, if the coin door was closed then you literally can't write ANYTHING to the section of RAM that stores settings.

You can see remnants of this on some old machines, where they have a steel plate on the underside of the cabinet. Didn't fix the puch-the-speaker-out problem, though that slowly migrated to the back of the cabinet.

It technically also protects the RAM against an accidental write while powering up/down. But I think that's a technical possibility rather than a likelyhood. I have a few games where I permanently shorted the memory protect, and many years later have never had a problem with them.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nothing bad will come from it. I wouldn't worry. I think its mainly to prevent something jarring around and making settings changes when the game is being shipped or moved.

Kind of tough to make changes to a game that's unplugged! Or are you envisioning someone pulling a Costanza Frogger move?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

Kind of tough to make changes to a game that's unplugged! Or are you envisioning someone pulling a Costanza Frogger move?

Haha that's a damned good point

#17 10 years ago

So the answer is to use an external switch wired in parallel with the coin door switches and then disconnect the door open / memory protect switch. I have this setup working now and it is great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-how-can-i-make-an-external-volume-control-work-for-a-williams-wpc-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.