• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Snux
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

All,

First post here w/ a problem. Been able to search the forums to solve my issues before, but this one have me stumped. Got into the hobby a year ago with a F14 and have slowly been working the issues by myself. Here are the problems:

- Game fails to sense a drain when the ball enters the ball return at the bottom of the gamefield.
- Game will sense the ball in the return after activating the flipper 1-2 times
Also:
- Game will kick a ball into the shooting lane when the VUK fires a ball to a lock and add an additional ball once the ball locks ( two in shooter lane)

I have checked for loose connections/broken wires--nothing apparent.

With that said, thanks to all that contribute--especially, LTG and VID1900. I fixed a balky flipper on my STTNG (opto blocker) from LTG helping some else out w/ a similar issue, and rebuilt my F14's flippers and pop bumper w/ Vid's guides just by searching the posts. I've learned a ton by just browsing the forums here--this is truly an awesome resource for beginners.

#2 9 years ago

The first issue could be a combination of the pinball not closing the switch (first symptom) and the contacts being too close together (second symptom). Go into switch test and see if you can manually push the switch enough to close it. If that works then adjust the switch so a pinball triggers it. For the second issue check the gap between the switch contacts.

The VUK issue sounds like it could be a switch matrix problem. Go into switch test and make sure none of the switches are causing two switches to indicate closed. You may want to also try this with a ball in the lock and the VUK (coin door open so the VUK doesn't fire the ball).

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice--will run with this info tomorrow and report back.

#4 9 years ago

Outlane switch is a microswitch--no adjustments there. It is acting random in sensing when a ball rolls onto it. Looks like I'll order a new one from Pinball Life unless anyone has anything else to try. Switch test didn't show any issues. Maybe the failing microswitch is causing the ball to kick out prematurely when the VUK fires?

#5 9 years ago

Pull the apron off an inspect the trough. Remembering back, i had an issue where one of the middle trough switches would go intermittently open causing the software to get confused about where all the balls are and behave like you describe.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from ViperMX:

Maybe the failing microswitch is causing the ball to kick out prematurely when the VUK fires?

I would be surprised it is the microswitch, those things will outlast the cockroaches.

In any case they are cheap and easy to swap in and out so good luck.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks all--just ordered all 4 microswitches for the outhole diverter. Only $16 from Pinball Life delivered. Figured if this doesn't do it, I'll be troubleshooting diodes. Should have the parts by the end of the week.

#8 9 years ago

When you lock a ball or just generally during game play, do all the flashers work? I'm wondering if there might be a problem with the a/c select relay. You can check this by going into the test menu and trying to fire flashers numbers 1 and 2. They will either flash, or if the a/c select has some issues you'll get balls being kicked into the shooter lane instead...

#9 9 years ago

Snux--thanks. I'm out of town on business till Friday. I'll report back with what I find that evening.

#10 9 years ago

Mine did this in the past, IIRC is was one of the leaf switches in one of the out lanes that had the leafs too close together. It's been a while, but I found it pretty easy which is probably why I don't remember it exactly.

#11 9 years ago

Update: just got back into town and ran the test for the flashers per Snux's suggestion. Flashers didn't cause the balls to kick into the shooter lane...but I did find when the ball popper "A" side and the ball release "A" side fired during the solenoid test a ball kicked into the shooter lane when the VUK fired. Any thoughts where to go next?

Edit: to clarify--when the ball release fires, the VUK fires and vice versa...

#12 9 years ago

First problem solved--the VUK and the ball release firing at the same time was cause by a few strands of wire laying across the connections for the two on the diode board. Must have gotten there when I was stripping wires for my pop bumper rebuild. Once I cleaned it up, everything worked normally. I received the microswitch for the outhole/drain sensing issue today and will install tonight. Will update results.

#13 9 years ago

New microswitch installed in the outhole solved the problem with sensing drains. All is good. Thanks to everyone!

#14 9 years ago

Nice work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-f14-drain-sensingadding-extra-ball-shooting-lane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.