Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

soundcpu6 (resized).jpg
84450dcc491165fa98675970f976d38cfcc5e97e (resized).jpg
2017-12-24 20_59_35-http___www.nteinc.com_specs_6800to6899_pdf_nte6821.pdf - Internet Explorer (resized).png
20171222_154457 (resized).jpg
20171222_155558 (resized).jpg
20171222_154120 (resized).jpg
2017-11-17 22_31_10-Problem after replacing PIA and adding NVram _ Pinside Forum - Internet Explorer (resized).png
20171117_161232 (resized).jpg
20171117_152539 (resized).jpg
2017-11-17 12_40_51-HD6321P HITACHI, HD6321P Datasheet - Internet Explorer (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
1510881736487739564146 (resized).jpg
Pages from Bally_1990_Dr_Dude_English_Manual_includes_paginated_schematics (resized).png
20171103_153644 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 6 years ago

I'm sorry but do you really think that the 10 other chips you have purchased, all from different manufacturers and different vendors are ALL faulty??

Please stop messing with this board right now before you destroy it beyond repair. Send it to someone who "might" still be prepared to take on the repair because it is plainly obvious that you really need to come to grips with your electronics skill level.

If you want to progress electronics, please do it the correct way, don't do it by destroying boards that are irreplaceable.

Flame away - I don't care if people can't handle the truth.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

three chips are not ten chips

Three is also not one original one! The chances of two additional chips being faulty are so remote.......

The software is reporting "bad PIA" - that only means it can't access the PIA NOT that the PIA is bad.

I suspect this "report" is being taken too seriously by the OP and that other options need to be explored BUT I hope the further different new chip cures the problem for him - he will make it to 10 new ones in no time at this rate.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So maybe try being helpful, which traces would I check to confirm it can access the PIA?

I see at least two other posters who have offered you this advice in this very thread and also some writing comments that make it clear they are exasperated by your responses basically ignoring their advice. I picture them banging their heads against the wall when they read your responses to their comments.

So I will recap the advice that you have already been given by others:

With the power OFF and preferably the board on the work bench, using a multimeter (preferably set to 'beep' for continuity) grab the schematic and measure each and every trace that connects EVERY pin on the PIA socket to EVERY other place on the PCB. Sometimes this might be two, three or more connections to other places for each pin - check them ALL. Yes, this is a time consuming job and could take 30 minutes or more. That's one reason board repairs cost more than some expect.

If any one of the pins on this 40 pin chip isn't connected correctly, as the circuit was designed originally, the software will 'flag' the PIA as 'bad' because it can't access it so it could be ANY single pin from the PIA that causes the exact same response from the program EVEN THOUGH there may not be a single thing wrong with the part.

This is what any good tech would do in a situation like this because it's a well known issue with most boards from machines of this era.

If you don't know what is meant by this method then you most certainly should not be playing around with this board that is delicate and very easily damaged. Changing sockets, for example, often causes many more problems than it resolves.

Best of luck with it.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So new chip is in, same error message. Clearly something got messed up in the soldering job. I will try to check the traces again before seeing if I can get someone to fix it. I'm trying to find someone local and unfortunately its not that easy. So just to make sure I"m doing it right, when I check the traces. Should the board be unplugged and what about the nvram, do I need to take that out as well?

What you are doing is measuring the continuity of the PCB traces. These are just basically wires joining "point A to point B". In the picture below (randomly found on the net) you can see the traces - just think of these as tiny wires.

Pull the board out of the machine - remove any plugged in chips in the area you are concerned with, get the schematic (wiring diagram of your board) and start at pin one of the chip in question. See what it connects to according to the schematic, identify those two points and measure between them with a meter to ensure that they are indeed connected by the PCB trace.

It takes time but if you go at it methodically, perhaps tick off each pin as "good" with a pencil as you go and you will get it done.

soundcpu6 (resized).jpgsoundcpu6 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-after-replacing-pia-and-adding-nvram?tu=Homepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.