You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

afm-nodot.jpg
afm-cleanpf.jpg
AFM,,,.JPG
AFM_,,.JPG
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

I have a restoration candidate AFM that I'm tentatively looking to sell in the Boston MA area.

It has been on route since being bought brand new, and unless the audits have ever been reset, it claims to have 27,000 plays. It was taken very well care of electronically and mechanically, but looks rough cosmetically. Lots of wear around Stroke of Luck, including a stripe down to the bare wood in front of it. Lots of worn through insert decals. No fade on the cabinet, but a number of scratches and dings. Couple of gouges in corners and "hump wear" on the front. Main saucer has a few missing LEDs and a crack in the back, but all the other ones look ok. One or two broken plastics and a few broken standup targets, but the ramps are ok if a bit worn. Light tub in backglass is intact, but wiring is messy. Power supply has a slight hum. Playfield is caked in dirt. The title says "probably selling" because depending on interest I'll start shopping it out myself and see where the condition and price stand in a few weeks.

The good news is it still manages to play very well, boards have been recently serviced and look nice. No burnt connectors, hacks or resets. Nice and bright DMD with no broken pixels. No rust or corrosion anywhere in the game or any major physical damage or deformities. With repro playfields and cabinet decals readily available and under a grand together, this could be a super nice machine still way under what a lot of people are having to pay for this thing lately.

Asking $5000.

EDIT: SOLD and gone. Thanks for the interest!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54764/afm-cleanpf.jpg

Here's a bunch of pictures pre-cleaning: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/54764/1/afm?h=f0ce3e

#2 12 years ago

wow

#3 12 years ago

If you end up selling that for 5k I will do a back flip. That things probably gonna need 5K just for the restoration if not more.

#4 12 years ago

I would buy it if you were on my coast and the price was $3500 The wear doesn't bother me, but a premium pricetag for a blemished and routed game is insane.

#5 12 years ago

I suddenly feel better about the value of mine.

#6 12 years ago

Hey, I did say "around"

Also, I see no AFMs on craigslist anywhere, or mr pinball.

Whoever may be interested, we can certainly talk.

#7 12 years ago

I think this statement sums it up pretty well.

#8 12 years ago

One in better routed condition went recently at the Winston-salem auction for <4000.

That insert wear sure looks bad.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

jayhawkai said:wow

(nodding)

However, I'd be willing to be that someone would be willing to get the machine in that condition for at or near the asking price just to have one. If that happens it will just continue the feeding frenzy.

Good luck to the OP on selling your pin.

#10 12 years ago

There are several AFM playfields for sale on ebay right now in the $1000-$1400 range, sure looks like this one could use one. When you are done, I will be coming to look at if you are only looking for $5000.

#11 12 years ago

5k base game
700 playfield
250 decals
1000 in misc parts(prob high side)

That would be under 7k in the game and frankly the game could probably sell for 8k+ after restore.
Not sure the price is that unreasonable in this market, shocking at first but maybe that is the state of the hobby.

#12 12 years ago

Wow indeed, that game looks like it has been at the bottom of Godzilla's toilet for the last fifteen years.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

it claims to have 27,000 plays.

no way. audits had to be reset for it to look like that. I'd believe 270,000 before i'd believe 27.000 with the way it looks.

I see the word "claims".

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I suddenly feel better about the value of mine.

That you Should...
AFM_,,.JPGAFM_,,.JPG AFM,,,.JPGAFM,,,.JPG

pzy ,, I Passed on a AFM for $ 3750.00 last Sat , Look Sooo Much Better too.. Good Luck !!

#16 12 years ago

That AFM in your photos B R looks awesome. Is that skyline original?

#17 12 years ago

That AFM is rough. The good thing is all the parts are easily attainable , would make for a fun restoration ..

Jim

#18 12 years ago

I'd give you 3200 shipped

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

That AFM in your photos B R looks awesome. Is that skyline original?

That skyline is available from Treasure Cove.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

5k base game
700 playfield
250 decals
That would be under 7k in the game and frankly the game could probably sell for 8k+ after restore.
Not sure the price is that unreasonable in this market, shocking at first but maybe that is the state of the hobby.

That's basically what I was thinking. It wouldn't take much money to get this thing in $8k+ shape, all the problems really are cosmetic. Most of the reason I am trying to avoid taking on this project myself is that I am forced to keep the machine at work due to space constraints. If I grabbed this after September when I was in my own place with ample workspace, I'd definitely be doing it!

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

5k base game
700 playfield
250 decals

You forgot to add the tremendous amount of time and labor that it would take to do all of that.

I can't believe that you are implying that $5k for this isn't bad.

Sometimes I really think this hobby is beyond insane.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

TaylorVA said:

Only sometimes?

#24 12 years ago

It would take $8000 to get this game and put it into $8000 shape. If this sells for that price, then mine is at $10K.

#25 12 years ago

and i wonder why nib pins seem cheaper every day.
5k for trashed game or 6.5k for pristine nib machine.
pretty easy answer for me at least.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

jayhawkai said:wow

+1 ya, wow.

#27 12 years ago

As a bench mark for you , I bought mine in the last few months in the same part of the country for 4500. Mine is a nice player with a better cabinet and playfield. The play field required 3 new stickers for insert windows, a small amount of touch up paint, and a cliffy. Yours needs alot more work. I wish you the best.

#28 12 years ago

I do love the op's description. I read it and skipped over the pictures. I thought 5k was high given the description, but not insane. then I read the comments and went back.

To the op, you are the master of understatement. That game has been neglected. It has issues and from the looks of the pf, the operator didn't do crap to keep it running. I wouldn't be surprised to find some fun hacks lurking in it. As for the price, well I think the rest of the posts have already said what the price is.

#29 12 years ago

I do agree it was neglected cosmetically. I disagree that it has issues which wouldn't be taken care of if you fixed the cosmetics. Granted, "cosmetics" include everything from playfield to rubbers to plastics to a big martian saucer, so it's not a day's work or anything.

I have seen no hacks, and the guts look quite nice. No battery corrosion and the boards have been serviced within the last 6 months. The inside of the cabinet is nice too, no water damage or animal/human remains.

Anyway I'm not hiding anything. Any other pictures or video people want I'd be glad to provide, and if you want to come check the machine out just give me a few hours' notice. Gotten a bunch of interested PMs already, so if you'd like to deal, just shoot me a message

#30 12 years ago

Haha, you guys are brutal. You're right, but brutal.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

TaylorVA said:5k base game
700 playfield
250 decals
You forgot to add the tremendous amount of time and labor that it would take to do all of that.

I'm not going to get into what my opinion of the value of the game is. It is someone's FS post so I try to respect that.

My breakdown of cost is more about showing that in the end you probably wouldn't be losing any money with the game but unless one really delves into the game there is no way of knowing.
Even if you add 1000 for labor you're still ahead.

I agree pricing in this hobby is insane but when that carries across the board it makes single sales like this less insane than what we think. I'm just glad I got my base games when I did. I cannot imagine picking up even a base game in this market. If anything it makes me want to sell all my games to cash in while the shark frenzy is still churning.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

animal/human remains.

Now THAT was funny.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

TaylorVA said:5k base game
700 playfield
250 decals

Yes. Finally some sense. I agree and hate the fact that some acpects of this hobby are insane.
MM being one. Yes killer game but untouchable for under 8k while the exact same machine, different theme (same cab, boards, pf type stuff, designer), The Shadow goes for 2k mint. Insane!!

To me Shadow is up there with AFM, MM, MB.

#34 12 years ago

Hyperpin Version for me thanks!

#35 12 years ago

TS and MM are virtually the same game? That's a new one.

AFM and MM? Sure.
SM and AFM? Okay.
TS and MM? Hrmmm.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

AFM and MM? Sure.
SM and AFM? Okay.
TS and MM? Hrmmm.

They both use 1 1/16" pinballs.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

AFM and MM? Sure.
SM and AFM? Okay.
TS and MM? Hrmmm.

Yeah, I don't think he meant same game, I think he meant same "fun factor". Can't speak for Slate.

My opinion, definitely NOT the same game. Diverters, 3 flippers, upper Sanctum playfield, etc..., great game, fun game, but not the same game.

Back to the topic-

Whatever the game sells for, I can easily seeing it being restored.

Lots of parts available + a game that lots of people want = Restorers with shops full of AFM machines. Look at HEP's recent photo. There is a reason Mirco is making so many runs of these playfields.

#38 12 years ago

I would rather light my money on fire that spend it on that piece of shit.

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from damionrowe:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

#40 12 years ago

I did

#41 12 years ago

This is why I stick with low dollar pins. I just don't have the insane dollars many guys in this hobby have. AFM is my Holy Grail game, but at these prices this game will never see the inside of my home. I remember about a year ago a friend tried to get me to buy his fully restored MB for $5500. Seems like a steal now. I kick myself every day for not taking that deal.

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from damionrowe:

Quoted from gweempose:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

I'm Sorry ,, I Laughed on these 3 post's... This Hobby IS Insane ,, and We All are too !!

#43 12 years ago

I would bet he gets his asking price. People are insane for this title for some reason......and they are getting harder and harder to find all the time.

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from damionrowe:

Quoted from RobT:

I can't believe that you are implying that $5k for this isn't bad. Sometimes I really think this hobby is beyond insane.

Have to agree with you there.

#45 12 years ago

well I look at it this way.....the stroke of luck shot would be easy to hit on that one man....Damn 5k...really?!!! Maybe you just just hang on to that prized peice

#46 12 years ago

Prized piece? POS maybe.

That's not a restoration project - it is a complete rebuild from the ground up. It will be a keeper for whomever buys it - cuz they will never be able to recoup the investment of parts and time.

Pass.........

#47 12 years ago

Someone buy that thing and let me fix it ! I don't think it is all the bad.. I mean by the time I tear one all the way down and fix the cabinet and replace the PF ,it really does not matter what it looked like before I started.

It looks like it has a decent speaker panel and apron ,the rest of the stuff is easily attainable .

If someone buys that and sends it to me I will do it for a hell of a deal . Just for fun .. It has to be that exact machine though.

Jim

#48 12 years ago

If the price was right, I would have been all over this... I like a challenge. I don't think there is anything wrong with this game that a full restore couldn't fix... but it definitely needs a FULL resto!

#49 12 years ago

Slightly off topic, but can someone direct me to this source of new AFM playfields for $700?

#50 12 years ago

Alot of bucks for a beat up AFM.

Prices are high and I will no longer pay current prices for beat up pins.

Funnily enough it has pushed me into buying less, but either a fully restored A pin ( I have zip skills to do myself ) or consider JJP NIB, especially Hobbit or unlicensed.

At the moment I can buy ( possibly ) a fully restored MB with new playfield etc for less than AC/DC Premium.........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/probably-selling-this-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.