009.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
015.jpg
014-879.jpg
013.jpg
#1 9 years ago

well I paid just a few dollars for this POS... it was dark when I came across it and decided to take it home and see what happens... when I saw it in the light I almost brought it right to the dumpster but every pin deserves to live so I'm going to see if I can at least get it to play again...the backglass is in horrendous condition, the cab is beat up and the head was hanging on by a thread (I almost broke it off and had it fall onto the playfield glass when I was putting it back on) the playfield is not as bad as the rest of the machine, the lockbar was taped on(I don't know why as the locking mechanism works fine)... aluminum foil around fuses (always a good sign) etc. etc.

when I turn it on it lights up (yay) and the score motor just runs non stop

I guess I will at least get some much needed practice on em repair/troubleshooting

wish me luck...........

by the way if anybody knows where I can get a backglass please let me know..

013.jpg013.jpg
014-879.jpg014-879.jpg015.jpg015.jpg012.jpg012.jpg011.jpg011.jpg010.jpg010.jpg009.jpg009.jpg008.jpg008.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Here is a good start for you for a new Backglass!

I got mine from them as well. Great Quality. I think Mine ran $250.00 including shipping.

http://bgresto.com/?p=29

Ken

#3 9 years ago

Don't worry too much about the restoration as mine was not in the best shape either but it is worth saving as it is a fun and challenging game to play. I think it is one of the best Williams single players of the 70's. Oh, and it is my fastest machine too, faster than some SS machines I have played as it has DC Pop Bumpers, Slings, and Flippers.

Check out my restoration thread and hopefully it motivates you too get yours as nice as mine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1973-williams-gulfstream-restoration-project-done

Some other info about EM repair as well that is a must read too.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

Good luck and have fun as there are lots of folks here that can help you out with your project.

Ken

#4 9 years ago

compared to the rest of the machine that playfield looks really good. For me, they mean so much more when you bring them back from near death. which is pretty much all 3 of my pins. i thought i bit more than i could chew but the people on this site really helped me out and im sure theyll help you too

#5 9 years ago

It really is a great game and worth saving! Good luck with it!

#6 9 years ago

that isn't to bad. it will take some effort but come out good.one of my favorite pointy people game also.

I got a el dorado that was in a house fire, it had soot and water damage, if that could be saved this should be

#7 9 years ago

pics of the el dorado

2013-05-19_14-11-03_108.jpg2013-05-19_14-11-03_108.jpg 2013-05-19_14-40-43_352.jpg2013-05-19_14-40-43_352.jpg 2013-05-19_14-55-04_890.jpg2013-05-19_14-55-04_890.jpg DSC_0449.JPGDSC_0449.JPG DSC_0452.JPGDSC_0452.JPG
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Here is a good start for you for a new Backglass!
I got mine from them as well. Great Quality. I think Mine ran $250.00 including shipping.
http://bgresto.com/?p=29
Ken

They MIGHT still have a few test glasses left at a substantial discount. I have one that was much less expensive since the "Tilt" lettering was left off.

Great POS pickup! Your playfield looks better than mine, and once you clean the cab you'll be ahead of me there also. Still a great fun game once you get it running. Enjoy it!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from boydsc331:

compared to the rest of the machine that playfield looks really good. For me, they mean so much more when you bring them back from near death. which is pretty much all 3 of my pins. i thought i bit more than i could chew but the people on this site really helped me out and im sure theyll help you too

yea, they sure do.... the first machine i brought back from the dead will never leave my house...

Quoted from boilerman:

that isn't to bad. it will take some effort but come out good.one of my favorite pointy people game also.
I got a el dorado that was in a house fire, it had soot and water damage, if that could be saved this should be

yea, i've seen worse starting points end up in some really nice places... having seen that el dorado a couple of times, it's still amazing that it is the same machine you started with...

i think if i was the op, i'd start with getting it running and playing well*... it shouldn't cost too much in parts to get it to that point... then play it for awhile to see if it is then worth it to them to spend the time and money to go the full restore route...

* i lie... i'd buy a bg too, even if i wasn't going to restore it...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Great POS pickup! Your playfield looks better than mine, and once you clean the cab you'll be ahead of me there also. Still a great fun game once you get it running. Enjoy it!

agreed... a complete machine with a decent pf for a "few dollars" is a great pickup...

after all, it just needs a fuse...

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and thanks for the before and after pics of some of the restorations that have been completed...they look great.

I'm going to get it up and playing before I do any cosmetic work... after that don't know how far I plan on going but I will post any progress as it happens.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and thanks for the before and after pics of some of the restorations that have been completed...they look great.
I'm going to get it up and playing before I do any cosmetic work... after that don't know how far I plan on going but I will post any progress as it happens.

you'll get it going... there are many helpful people in the em world, they took me from a complete rookie to someone who is at least competent...

yes, please post progress... a lot of us really like build threads...

#13 9 years ago

It really is a fun game. I like that it plays as both an add-a-ball and a replay model at the same time. Particularly like that you can set the "4-corners" to score 3 replays.

As mentioned it is lightning fast. Takes some adjustment after playing my Gottlieb's (or even 60's Williams).

Have not played mine for awhile as I sent it as a loaner to a buddies man-cave in another state. What I would like to do is swap out the crappy (tinny) Williams chime unit for a '70's Gottlieb chime.

Good luck to you

#14 9 years ago

I am far from a pro but have done a fair bit of work with EM restorations- guided/assisted/taught completely and only from the help I have received here. Its actually fun, and filled with a number of learning curves but you can figure everything out with time and help- and you will be amazed at how quickly people here will jump in to help you- even going so far as to pull out schematics they have filed somewhere and posting images pulled from them with specific switches/coils circled telling you which color wire to look at on which specific switch! You can do this- Pinside is a truly amazing resource.

I have to say- the fact that a repro back glass seems available and that the play field is in quite good shape, I would not be dissuaded from bringing this one back.

I know your going to play it first, and I would as well- but do not be too intimidated by this project-

I would be more interested in looking over the wiring under the play field and the bottom of the cabinet and head- if there are no obvious hacks your probably going to have a fairly easy time making it play really really good. If the wiring is hacked to death and your new to EM's this will require patience but plenty of people here can walk you through every problem you encounter.

Have fun- do not be afraid to just dive in and try shit-

First order of business for ANY EM owner-

Buy/beg/borrow/copy/download the schematics and manual. IPDB often has them linked and free- but not always- so post here if you need them- someone can help- and you NEED THEM.

Don't worry if they make absolutely no sense- you need them and they will start to make increasingly more sense the more time you spend seeking help and looking at them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/probably-bit-off-more-than-i-can-chew-a-pos-williams-gulfstream-basket-case and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.