Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20221030_142555815 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-28 155400 (resized).png
Screenshot 2022-10-28 155330 (resized).png
IMG_20221028_153141375_HDR (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Just got my first EM (Spanish Eyes) and am troubleshooting a small issue. In the game you need to light 1-2-3-4-5-6 by hitting standup targets. Each standup has two stacked switches. When you hit the target it should score 1000pts and then light an insert in front of the standup and at the bottom of the playfield. The problem I am having is that when I hit some of the targets it scores but doesn't light either light. Sometimes it works, other times I have to hit it 2-3 times. If I hold it longer it works. Looking at the schematic, this switch is supposed to fire a corresponding relay which locks both lights on. So it seems somewhat obvious that I am not getting a strong enough signal to fire the coil on the relay but not sure how to fix it. I have cleaned and set the switches and they seem to be working okay. Maybe corrosion on a plug? For someone more experienced in EMs I was thinking this might be a simple problem but before I start poking around more I thought I would ask.

IMG_20221028_153141375_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20221028_153141375_HDR (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-10-28 155330 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-10-28 155330 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-10-28 155400 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-10-28 155400 (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

I would clean the contacts to start with

#3 1 year ago

yeah, I did clean the switch contact

#4 1 year ago

So the schematic is confusing, until you realize that these are trip/latch style relays.

Hitting the switch should energize (trip) the corresponding relay.

Power is fed to energize the relay through one of its own switches. If that switch is opening too early, the relay may not energize sufficiently to trip it. Inspect that switch too and make sure it is not opening too early.

So for example, in the schematic above, relay 2 is energized though its own switch and the target switch. When the relay trips, the switch opens and power to the relay is cut. But it doesn’t need power as now it is tripped and will stay in that position until reset.

#5 1 year ago

^ In addition to the solid advice above, I would clean the switches on the relay. Use some 400 grit sandpaper or a dremel brush and follow up with an isopropyl alcohol swabbing to make sure they are clean. Sometimes you need to sand a bit on the metal plate pulled in by the relay coil. They can get pitted and not make solid contact when the coil is energized.

#6 1 year ago

You may also need to adjust the target switch blades so they remain closed for as long as possible on a hit, without spurious closures.

#7 1 year ago

I cleaned them once and just tried to clean them a little better. It seems a little better but you need to hit them solid to trigger the relay (even when they score). I did use a little sand paper between the contacts of the switch but they are pretty old and corroded. Maybe I need to clean more than I thought. I will try and go through each switch and make sure they are cleaned and aligned as I can get them. Then I will check the relays as advised. Thanks for the advice.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

. I did use a little sand paper between the contacts of the switch but they are pretty old and corroded. Maybe I need to clean more than I thought.

I would *not* use sandpaper for an EM, it will leave non-conductive residue behind from the abrasives. Use a very fine metal file like one specifically designed for pinball switches, or a fine metal-only nail file or one used to clean the points in an older car's distributor. Plus they are better for filing thru points that are burned/pitted. Applies to any switches in the machine.

#9 1 year ago

Many times I have encountered a similar situation and it turned out the rivet had carbonized or became loose in the leaf blade itself. I solder the back of it to make a solid connection.

#10 1 year ago

Do you guys use contact cleaner at all?

#11 1 year ago

Your contacts are probably clean enough by now. I would adjust the back switch to have the tiniest gap possible without it firing accidentally from vibration.

#12 1 year ago

So if you trip the relay by hand, do the lights and score work correctly?

#13 1 year ago

No contact cleaner. Please. Perhaps a little squirt on a point file or a business card to clean the points.

#14 1 year ago

Do all the standup targets malfunction the same? Or just some?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Drain1:

Do all the standup targets malfunction the same? Or just some?

If I press the switch manually with a decent contact time then all relays fire properly and the game works as it should. A few of them seem to work intermittently but they don't work in the same way (if that makes sense). They will score a on a light hit but may not set the lights unless it is a solid, long stoke hit. To be honest, as I am explaining it I am pretty sure I just need to get the back switch closer.

#16 1 year ago

Yes, in all likelihood a little adjustment may be all you need. Those double switches are a little finicky to get setup initially. I use a Dremel 443 wire brush on mine, get them nice and clean, adjusted right and you should be in business.

#17 1 year ago

This might be an electrical resistance problem. Thinking it would be a dirty switch/ adjustment issue if it was happening to one or two of the targets. But, if it's happening to all the targets, it might be a circuit issue. Did you look at one of the target relays when you were pressing on its related target. When you push on the target with good force, the target switch will send power to the target relay coil. This will move the relay into the second position and latch it into place, and it will close the playfield insert light switches on the relay. Pressing on the target lightly will send power to the target relay coil, it might might move the relay, but is it sending enough power to the target relay coil to get it to move the relay and latch it? Wondering if this circuit has a Jones plug in it. Are the target relays mounted on the underside of the playfield?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Drain1:

No contact cleaner. Please. Perhaps a little squirt on a point file or a business card to clean the points.

I wouldn't even use it on a file, you don't want anything sticking to the points and attracting crud.

#19 1 year ago

The two sets of points should be very close to each other. Many times, a light hit only activated the first set of points. Continuous hits bend them. On my Spanish Eyes, it was most prevalent on the 5 and 6 targets as they can get whacked pretty hard. Adjusting the target face straight up, then adjusting the points fixed my problem.

#20 1 year ago

Reminds me, I miss my Spanish Eyes…

#21 1 year ago

Thanks for all the advice, I was busy today but will check it out tomorrow.

#22 1 year ago

Well I went through each of the six switches, I unscrewed them from the playfield. Cleaned them with alcohol and filed them with a metal nail file. I then very carefully aligned the two contacts. It helped but I did have some problems with one. I then cleaned the relay switches on that one. Now they seem to work, one of them is good about 75% of the time and the rest are pretty much 100% but I am going to call it good for now. Thanks again for the help.

I also found a slightly more confusing problem. Sometimes when the center pop bumper fires quickly I will loose a ball (e.g. the ball count decreases as if the ball had drained). Also this pop is light for 100pts all the time and mostly scores 110pts (I am guessing 10 + 100) but sometimes only the 100. It seems like I loose a ball when the score reel is struggling to keep up. Any ideas how these might be connected?

IMG_20221030_142555815 (resized).jpgIMG_20221030_142555815 (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

Try banging on the playfield with your fist and see if you can get any 10 pt scoring to trigger like one of the other pops, the 100 pop may be doing it from vibration of a switch that is gapped too close somewhere. Check sw gap on the outhole too.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Reminds me, I miss my Spanish Eyes…

Me too, and it's been gone about half my life!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Try banging on the playfield with your fist and see if you can get any 10 pt scoring to trigger like one of the other pops, the 100 pop may be doing it from vibration of a switch that is gapped too close somewhere. Check sw gap on the outhole too.

Yeah that was it. The left pop switch was very close and triggered sometimes. Same with the trough switch. Adjusted and it seems to work fine. I am getting the impression there is a lot of switch adjustments on these old EMs.

#26 1 year ago

I am getting the impression there is a lot of switch adjustments on these old EMs.

Usually not too much. Bigger problem is when you get a game and somebody had decided to 'adjust' every other switch in the game by eyeball when they were perfectly fine. Same with filing/cleaning every switch in the game, likely to cause more problems than leaving them alone and only doing that to switches that are determined to be causing a problem. The points develop oxide on them but it is just as conductive as the metal itself.

#27 1 year ago

I am getting the impression there is a lot of switch adjustments on these old EMs.

Also switch stack screws work loose, fiber spacers shrink, etc. I'm curious how reliable Godzillas will be in 2072 compared to your Spanish Eyes.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

The points develop oxide on them but it is just as conductive as the metal itself.

Can you elaborate? What are the contacts made of and what oxides can form?

/Mark

#28 1 year ago

Silver oxide — mentioned in Clay’s guide —

Silver oxide is the black dust normally seen on switch contacts (the black dust is not necessarily a bad thing).

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Also switch stack screws work loose, fiber spacers shrink, etc. I'm curious how reliable Godzillas will be in 2072 compared to your Spanish Eyes.

Can you elaborate? What are the contacts made of and what oxides can form?
/Mark

For sure, it is really cool to still be able to play something 50 years old. Also, this game seems like it may not have been maintained that well or at least it had been sitting for awhile. They guy I bought it from said he took it to a local guy to get everything working and it had new rubbers but I think he did the minimum required to get it working. It is also interesting that the more I play it the more reliable it seems to be. Like maybe the switches and contacts work better when used routinely. Sort of a use it or lose it.

#30 1 year ago

The contact points slightly overlap. So, when you play the game the contacts don’t just touch, the overlapping motion self cleans them. So yes, playing it more helps make it more reliable.

1 week later
#31 1 year ago

Thanks for this post killerrobots, I am having the exact same issue with my Spanish Eyes with numbers 1 thru 6, I will work on it next week with the suggestion posted on this thread and try to correct my issues.

#32 1 year ago

Well thanks to everyone who posted here to help me. Mine seems to be working great now. You need to get that second contact really close to have it work reliably.

#33 1 year ago

Well thanks to everyone who posted here to help me. Mine seems to be working great now. You need to get that second contact really close to have it work reliably.

So, how do you like it?

I haven't had the chance to play one but am very curious due to the table layout. Arwork aside

#34 1 year ago

Personally I love it. I played at Solid State in KC and was looking for an EM that was fun to play. There are so many EMs and I haven't played enough but I know some of them I don't really enjoy. This one is super fun. The bottom pop is a fun feature. The scoring is kind of silly with most shots not mattering much except the horseshoe and saucer but these are challenging enough.

#35 1 year ago

Personally I love it. I played at Solid State in KC and was looking for an EM that was fun to play. There are so many EMs and I haven't played enough but I know some of them I don't really enjoy. This one is super fun. The bottom pop is a fun feature. The scoring is kind of silly with most shots not mattering much except the horseshoe and saucer but these are challenging enough.

It is a unique game and one day I'll get one. Enjoy it, great player.

I'm a fan of the 70's era EM's, too many pins out there and not enough room, money or time

7 months later
#36 10 months ago

Hi killerrobots, I had this exact same issue with my Spanish Eyes, I cleaned all the switches and ensured they were adjusted close enough and both would make contact when the switch was depressed. I grew frustrated as it didn't help at all, I would hold down the switch and sometimes it would work, but mostly it did not. I used this threaded to help solve my problem with limited success. I figured there had to be something else. What worked for me after many months of trial and error, thought and procrastination was:

Underneath the playfield there are a bank of relays for A,B,C,D,E and 1,2,3,4,5,6, My A thru E relays worked propery so I focused on the 1 thru 6 relays. I cleaned the relay that the metal lever magnetizes too, as well as the pivot point for this lever, I removed this metal lever, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and a small wire brush and regreased with a very small amount of synthetic grease, I also cleaned and greased the surfaces that had metal to metal contact (pivot point). I did this one by one. Once completed I could not believe the performance of the switches, it worked perfectly each and every time the switch was lightly depressed. No for frustraction as the problem is now fixed. hope this helps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/probably-a-simple-em-question-spanish-eyes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.