• Latest reply 1 year ago by maestro
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220426_215019 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I've an Extra Inning and was going to do the free play jumper. However there is no game counter in the back box to jumper. Not sure where to make the jumper at this point.

#2 1 year ago

can you set the replay score to something very low

#3 1 year ago

for that game the free play jumper is in the bottom cab
it doesn't have the half moon credit unit it should have a credit relay

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from boilerman:

for that game the free play jumper is in the bottom cab
it doesn't have the half moon credit unit it should have a credit relay

Okay that is what I was leaning towards. In the pic I have uploaded it shows the credit button relay. There are two switches. The one towards the bottom of the pick is normally open. The one to the top stays closed no matter the position of the coil. If I jumper the normally open switch does that put me on free play?

20220426_215019 (resized).jpg20220426_215019 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

We never have dumb questions in the EM forum, just Doh! moments.

#6 1 year ago

Test the theory by jumping the open switch with a test wire with clips on each end. Hit the button. If a game starts, that's the right one. You can solder a jumper on or just bend the switch so it is always closed.

#7 1 year ago

If there's a credit lamp on the game's card tray (apron), it should stay lit if you jumper the correct switch.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from maestro:

Okay that is what I was leaning towards. In the pic I have uploaded it shows the credit button relay. There are two switches. The one towards the bottom of the pick is normally open. The one to the top stays closed no matter the position of the coil. If I jumper the normally open switch does that put me on free play?
[quoted image]

I think shorting that would just add games to the counter that you don’t have.

On one of my WMS EM there is a counter missing but they left the switch stacks behind. Any chance the wiring could have been left in place or are all the wires clipped off? I’d think there would be something left behind to work with.

If you were to jumper any of those relays down below I’d think it would be the reset relay. But I’ve never had to do that before.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

I think shorting that would just add games to the counter that you don’t have.
On one of my WMS EM there is a counter missing but they left the switch stacks behind. Any chance the wiring could have been left in place or are all the wires clipped off? I’d think there would be something left behind to work with.
If you were to jumper any of those relays down below I’d think it would be the reset relay. But I’ve never had to do that before.

"Extra Inning" is a novelty pin. It didn't come equipped with a replay unit. It has a credit relay in order to allow two plays per coin operation, as did many of the '70s Gottlieb add-a-ball games.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from maestro:

[quoted image]

Dang! Take that motor/relay panel outside, and hit it with an air gun!

#11 1 year ago

You could rewire the credit button to the coin switch, so every time you hit the button, it thinks you're inserting a coin.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from johninc:

You could rewire the credit button to the coin switch, so every time you hit the button, it thinks you're inserting a coin.

There's other ways to do this as well. The way I do '60s add-a-balls is to relocate the switch blades on the coin mech holder which start the game, so that pressing the coin return closes the switch and starts the game.
These are the games with only a single hole in the door for the coin return rod. Easily reversible, and requires no unsoldering and resoldering of wires.
It can be done on any other similar games as well which have multiple coin units and a start button. On these, I've used the coin return to add credits on replay machines, allowing the use of the start button to start the game after adding credits.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

There's other ways to do this as well. The way I do '60s add-a-balls is to relocate the switch blades on the coin mech holder which start the game, so that pressing the coin return closes the switch and starts the game.
These are the games with only a single hole in the door for the coin return rod. Easily reversible, and requires no unsoldering and resoldering of wires.
It can be done on any other similar games as well which have multiple coin units and a start button. On these, I've used the coin return to add credits on replay machines, allowing the use of the start button to start the game after adding credits.

Point taken. Simplest option is sometimes the best. I rotated the coin switch up to catch the coin return mech so it now closes the switch. Works perfectly. I knew I could do this but didn't know if another option was available. Have never fooled with one without the option of making a jumper in the back box.

My next issue to sort out is as soon as I add a credit the game automatically launches the ball without having to press the right flipper button. I'm currently looking over the schematics but if someone knows where to point me and save me some time it is greatly appreciated.

#14 1 year ago

Could be as simple as the switch the flipper button should close are already closed. I had that once and was glad for the easy fix.

#15 1 year ago

I'm going to call this thread resolved and start a new one for my other issue. Thanks for the input.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/probably-a-dumb-question-about-free-play-on-gotlieb-em?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.