(Topic ID: 87544)

Pro vs. Prem/LE Code...how is it being locked out?

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Stern still using a hardware lockout like with the LOTR LE that could theoretically be bypassed with a chip? Just seems odd to me that it doesn't really look like anyone's investigated this. I'm not a coder or engineer so I'm just throwing my interest in the subject out to the wind, and frankly the difference in most of the games isn't enough to justify going to the trouble to bypass the lockout, but I see it as an interesting technical issue.

If you can't build in all the LE mechs, the odds are you game isn't going to work properly anyways, so it's not like you could install LE code on Metallica just to enable proper spinner functionality...you'd still be missing all the other playfield differences and the code would just be like "Well none of this crap works!" You'd never be able to get a coffin lock, lol.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If you can't build in all the LE mechs, the odds are you game isn't going to work properly anyways

I think you might have answered your own question.

#3 7 years ago

With yhe new board everything works great on MetallicA but i get what your saying...that board should
have been there when they start shipping anything!

#4 7 years ago

and don't forget the switch matrix is probably completely different

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

With yhe new board everything works great on Metallica but i get what your saying...that board should
have been there when they start shipping anything!

.....huh? I have no idea what you're talking about lol.

Quoted from prock:

I think you might have answered your own question.

I wasn't asking WHY pro's were locked out of the code, I was asking HOW. Pro's are locked out so Stern can make more money, duh! =P

#6 7 years ago

I wondered the same thing on Tron. I would have loved daft punk multi ball. It was the only thing that the LE's had that I wanted on mine.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from marlboroa:

I wondered the same thing on Tron. I would have loved daft punk multi ball. It was the only thing that the LE's had that I wanted on mine.

Tron and LOTR might have been the last games where it was actually feasible to unlock the code and still have features work correctly. Everything since has had major mechanism changes between the Pro and LE's that software would probably freak out even if it was unlocked.

#8 7 years ago

The newer LEs are wired up completely differently from the Pro versions, so all of the lamps and coils are at different "addresses". For example the lamp for "Double Scoring" on the TRON Pro is in the same point on the matrix as "Center TRON" on the LE.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

The newer LEs are wired up completely differently from the Pro versions, so all of the lamps and coils are at different "addresses". For example the lamp for "Double Scoring" on the TRON Pro is in the same point on the matrix as "Center TRON" on the LE.

What a bunch of pricks to do that, lol...

Still, if you were dedicated enough, that's fixable. Extremely annoying, but fixable. Bleh. I've completely re-wired a pin before, and that was using the original harness...not something I'd be eager to do again...especially given stern's STUPID IDC 555 lamp sockets. =|

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside