(Topic ID: 198929)

Pro to Premium! What titles are worth the upgrade?

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone. I find myself thinking premium is always better. However lots of people seem to think otherwise. Is more always better? Is it worth the extra $? I have allocated more space for my pin collection so my eyes have started to wander. Looking for some good testimonials from Pro owners that made the switch on a few titles. What games do you feel are worth the extra and why? Some people have told me they by the pro version first play it until the premium comes out and then either sell the pro and upgrade or stick with the pro and keep the change. Some games I was thinking about purchasing the pro version.

Metallica
    Aerosmith
    Game of Thrones
    AC/DC VE
    Tron
    Kiss

If anyone can please shed some light on any of these titles it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 6 years ago

All of the pros on your list are better buys, with the exception of AC/DC and possibly Metallica (I prefer pro w/ the total light show mod) and Aerosmith if you dig the upper PF!

#3 6 years ago

As a KISS owner I think the PRE is worth it. Full rgb leds. Drop targets instead of stand ups. Physical Demon ball lock. Love Gun floating ball across the back panel. And service rails instead of the pegs.

#4 6 years ago

Metallica (better lightshow, coffin lock, snake multi-mode jaw, better backglass, etc), Aerosmith (extra scoring possibilities due to mini-pf exclusive to Prem/LE), and KISS (lovegun multiball levitation and RGB inserts make it an easy choice) are 100% for sure better as Premiums.

Game of Thrones is a toss up.

#5 6 years ago

I have yet to find myself wanting less features in any game.

#6 6 years ago

Big Buck Hunter Pro is the only way to go.

#7 6 years ago

Not a big music pin guy but since now I have the space looking to get all of the music pins. Hence trying to get it done cheaper. I cringe when using the word cheaper. If there is real value behind it I will pay the extra money. Just on the fence with those titles.
    Thank you to all.

Also big buck pro joke is classic.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

All of the pros on your list are better buys, with the exception of AC/DC and possibly Metallica (I prefer pro w/ the total light show mod) and Aerosmith if you dig the upper PF!

^^^^^This^^^^^

#9 6 years ago

Gorilla You have an Awesome collection!
    Whats your top 3 you play the most?

#10 6 years ago

AC DC
    TWD
    GB

#11 6 years ago

Sweet set up hoby1
    Great games GB and TWD.
    Just saw gorillas other post. His tricked out AC/DC has me itching for that new game feeling again. And now I saw matts getting one . I'm feeling very last arriving to the party. Dam this is an exspensive hobby

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Not a big music pin guy but since now I have the space looking to get all of the music pins. Hence trying to get it done cheaper. I cringe when using the word cheaper. If there is real value behind it I will pay the extra money. Just on the fence with those titles.
    Thank you to all.
    Also big buck pro joke is classic.

I have all of them....I would suggest AC/DC premium, AS premium, and Metallica Pro....I would upgrade ACDC and Met with color dmd....I had both Met Pro and Premium and thought the Pro had better flow...sold the premium....u might want to hold off on AS and see if they ever do anything with the code....

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I have all of them....I would suggest AC/DC premium, AS premium, and Metallica Pro....I would upgrade ACDC and Met with color dmd....I had both Met Pro and Premium and thought the Pro had better flow...sold the premium....u might want to hold off on AS and see if they ever do anything with the code....

But with Met Pro you're severely limiting scoring since the Prem/LE scoring on the spinner if you light the picks can get insane really quickly. And there's no way to mod a Pro to put that back in correctly.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

But with Met Pro you're severely limiting scoring since the Prem/LE scoring on the spinner if you light the picks can get insane really quickly. And there's no way to mod a Pro to put that back in correctly.

Point made, but its insignificant in game play...IMO....Met pro flow has much better flow.....

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Point made, but its insignificant in game play...IMO....Met pro flow has much better flow.....

Has a pretty significant effect on score if you're good enough to manage the picks and then reap big score off the spinners.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Has a pretty significant effect on score if you're good enough to manage the picks and then reap big score off the spinners.

Point made, but in my case its really insignificant...I can easily score 150M just about every time I play Met....like I said I felt the Pro had much better flow, and the hammer was just a distraction that took away from the flow of the game....I might be in the minority, but I don't really judge pins on how well I score (I'm sure many do)...I have decent line up, and their all a little different from each other.....I probably play 20 games a week at most so its all about 30 minutes of fun, and Met Pro is right up there with the best.

#17 6 years ago

There's a general view that AC/DC in particular is a must to upgrade to Premium.

I'm not so sure. I've played lots on a BIBLE and on a Premium, but when the new Pro VE came out that's the one I wanted.

It's pros and cons: The Premium sure has a better light show, looks better too, and I love the train model. But personally I just do not like the Hell mini-playfield, does nothing for me but interrupt the game. I couldn't care two hoots about drop targets v standups, and I don't much like the animated band model.

The new Pro VE has the two essential toys - the swinging bell and the cannon. It's got all the music, better play (without the mini-playfield), and is super fast.

In the end it's a personal choice. The Premium is better looking and with a better light show, but for me it's just not that much better. If they were the same price, I'd take the Premium, but for the extra money - no.

#18 6 years ago

I have a TWD pro and I love it. I have the chance to upgrade to a LE for a good price (+2300 euro's) Should I do this?

I've upgraded my ACDC pro in the past to a Luci and I love it!!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I have a TWD pro and I love it. I have the chance to upgrade to a LE for a good price (+2300 euro's) Should I do this?
    I've upgraded my ACDC pro in the past to a Luci and I love it!!

I recently sold my TWD LE, and want to get a Pro instead for maybe 60% of the money.

Like Met - after extensive play i actually found Pro to be more fun.

I also hate the Stern SAM Premium/LE blinky lighting - LED OCD in the Pros for the win!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Point made, but in my case its really insignificant...I can easily score 150M just about every time I play Met....like I said I felt the Pro had much better flow, and the hammer was just a distraction that took away from the flow of the game....I might be in the minority, but I don't really judge pins on how well I score (I'm sure many do)...I have decent line up, and their all a little different from each other.....I probably play 20 games a week at most so its all about 30 minutes of fun, and Met Pro is right up there with the best.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying YOU need to change your opinion, I just want to put out there that losing the (super) spinner scoring by dropping to a Pro is not necessarily a desirable thing, since this thread was asking about differences/advantages/disadvantages.

#21 6 years ago

I generally prefer the premium models as they offer the "complete" experience
    The one exception I have made is on AS, originally I purchased the premium version on pre order
    Once received, I felt that the shot flow resembled my KISS premium too closely for my taste
    I then had the opportunity to play an AS pro at the local arcade, and I was surprised at how much I preferred it to my premium
    Firstly you can backhand the right ramp anytime, including when you hold the ball on the right flipper, this shot cannot be made on the premium as the right ramp is too steep (just like KISS)
    Anytime you can backhand ramps is great, which is why AC/DC is so cool, more flow please
    Qualifying for LIAE multi ball is too easy on premium, the pro model is a lot more challenging and that makes it more rewarding when achieved
    Also mini playfields aren't my thing, finally I really like the blue colour combination of the pro over premiums purple
    So I sold my AS premium (small loss on resale) & promptly purchased AS pro
    For the record I'm the proud owner of the following 6 machines:
    KISS premium
    Aerosmith pro
    Spider-Man vault
    Batman 66 premium
    Ghostbusters premium
    Star Wars LE

I've also owned,
    AC/DC LTBR LE
    Metallica monsters
    Star Trek premium

Fair to say, I'm a Stern fan. Every machine I've owned has been flawless, honestly
    Keep flipping!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hawks:

Firstly you can backhand the right ramp anytime, including when you hold the ball on the right flipper, this shot cannot be made on the premium as the right ramp is too steep (just like KISS)

The right ramp can be backhanded on KISS. It just can't be done reliably. Flipper adjustment is critical, though. I have an LE at home and it's much harder to do it, but there's a Premium KISS on route I help with and it's MUCH easier to backhand that ramp. the only difference I can see is the flipper position at rest is *slightly* different than mine at home.

#23 6 years ago

I'm a Pro kind of guy. I feel they provide a much better value. We all know the list of games where it might be a close call, and pretty much every time, I pick the Pro.

Even AC/DC now that they got rid of "the face".

Quoted from John-G:

But personally I just do not like the Hell mini-playfield, does nothing for me but interrupt the game.

Word! The lower playfield is fine, but I don't like it either. It isn't fun for me. But the Pro is fast as hell and is an absolute blast. So that's the one I bought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-to-premium-what-titles-are-worth-the-upgrade?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.