Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pro Pool Score Motor (resized).jpg
PXL_20210219_162515647 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210205_012645841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210205_170732199 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210205_170721141 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I need some help getting a Pro Pool up and running. It was working fine until I took it apart so I could get it out of the room and have carpet installed. When I put it back together, it was no longer starting a game. I made two mistakes when tearing it down and reassembling it, which were leaving a bag that had a couple of solenoids in it inside the cabinet, which fell towards the back of the cabinet when I lifted it, and I tried turning the game on with the plugs in the backbox improperly seated.

A friend of mine has had me check a few things, but unfortunately we haven't been able to diagnose the source of the issue yet. Here's what I know:

Start button doesn't do anything, it doesn't even activate any relays.

There is a broken wire near the start button and I don't know where it's supposed to go, or if it's supposed to go anywhere at all. The game has been modified for free play and I don't know if the brown wire is disconnected as part of that mod.

The score motor doesn't spin itself when I manually spin it.

The backbox lights up, the playfield does not, but the tilt light is on so I assume that's why the playfield lights aren't on.

All the fuses that I could find are good (Three near the front of the cabinet, one in the back, and four near the middle of the playfield). I checked them with a DMM while removed from the game.

I've been told to look for switches that may have been bent by the bag with solenoids, but nothing stands out to me as noticeably wrong and I have no idea what switches should be normally closed and normally opened.

So that's where I am at the moment. I'm completely new to EMs, but hopefully I can learn about them quickly!

PXL_20210205_012645841 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_012645841 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170721141 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170721141 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170732199 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170732199 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I'd move this to the EM tech forum for better response.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I'd move this to the EM tech forum for better response.

Oh whoops, you're right. Can I move it or does a mod have to do that? robin

Edit: Thanks to whoever moved the thread!

#4 3 years ago

Closely inspect your tilt hold relay. Make sure that none of the lugs that have wires soldered to them are making contact with each other.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Closely inspect your tilt hold relay. Make sure that none of the lugs that have wires soldered to them are making contact with each other.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

PXL_20210219_162515647 (resized).jpgPXL_20210219_162515647 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

I suggest that you attempt to acquire schematics, assuming that they can be purchased or downloaded and you don't already have some.
Pinball Resource might be a source:
http://www.pbresource.com/pfplayfEM.htm
Good luck on that.
Once you have schematics, you can go through those carefully to determine exactly what the problem is.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I suggest that you attempt to acquire schematics, assuming that they can be purchased or downloaded and you don't already have some.
Pinball Resource might be a source:
http://www.pbresource.com/pfplayfEM.htm
Good luck on that.
Once you have schematics, you can go through those carefully to determine exactly what the problem is.

I have schematics, I just have no idea how to read them. I guess I need to start doing some research on that.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I have schematics, I just have no idea how to read them. I guess I need to start doing some research on that.

You can check on the schematics and find the power plug, which should go to a fuse and the transformer.
With the machine powered down and unplugged, you can check connections with your multi-meter and see if they match the schematics.
It will be a slow process, but you eventually will find something that is missing or not connected.
Might be a good idea to seek a little help, if there is any to be had in your area.

#9 3 years ago

You could try checking the normally closed bounce or anti cheat switch.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

That doesn't appear to be the case.
[quoted image]

Check the one further down that says “tilt hold” on it. Relay H , next to the 5000 point relay.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

The score motor doesn't spin itself when I manually spin it.

That's as good a place to start as any. When you manually turn the Score Motor a switch at position 1C should close and send power to the motor until it reaches its next home position where the 1C switch opens again:
Pro Pool Score Motor (resized).jpgPro Pool Score Motor (resized).jpg
If that's not happening you may not have 25 volts working. Is there 25 volts between the black and red white wires?

/Mark

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

You could try checking the normally closed bounce or anti cheat switch.

That got me going in the right direction, thanks! I had no idea it was supposed to be normally closed. I adjusted it so that it stays closed, and now the score motor is spinning, but it won't stop spinning! I can now press the start button to get the score to reset and a game to start, but the score motor just keeps spinning.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Check the one further down that says “tilt hold” on it. Relay H , next to the 5000 point relay.

I checked that, and did find a couple lugs that appeared to be shorted. I fixed that so it shouldn't be causing any issues now if it ever was.

#13 3 years ago

I fixed it! I looked at all the relays that can power the score motor and found that the ball return relay had fallen out of place. I put it back and the game is playing again! Thanks for the help!

Edit: Okay, I am having one more issue still. The tilt seems to be super sensitive. Like if I give the game the tiniest pat it will often tilt. It also tilts every time the 1-7 drops reset. I'm looking at the tilt bob, coin door tilt, the bounce switch, and the trapped ball tilt switch, and none of them look like they're misadjusted. Am I missing any tilt switches?

Edit edit: Okay so it looks like it is the bounce switch. I propped it up so that it couldn't move and the problem went away. I'm honestly thinking about just using some electrical tape to keep it closed, it's not like I need it. Anyone else do that?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Okay so it looks like it is the bounce switch. I propped it up so that it couldn't move and the problem went away. I'm honestly thinking about just using some electrical tape to keep it closed, it's not like I need it. Anyone else do that?

Adjust the bounce switch so that it takes more force to break the contact.

From Pinrepair:

Adjust the short (stationary) blade contact only (and the damping blade if the switch has one). Put your contact adjuster on the short blade (and the damping blade), and slide it down to the bakelite insulator stack. Bend the blade gently! A small adjustment of just a few thousands of an inch is all that is required. If you are making large adjustments, you are probably doing something wrong! (or someone else previously mis-adjusted the switch; large gross adjustments at the switch stack could break the switch blade).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-pool-won-t-start-i-m-new-to-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.