(Topic ID: 318659)

Pro Pool vs Big Shot

By G35R6

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi all. I'm looking at picking up my first EM - a Pro Pool. I've played it and really liked it. Now, I've run across a Big Shot which looks to be a two player version of Pro Pool with a couple other minor differences. There's a pretty big difference in the EM rankings between the two (#39 and #209). If you've played both, please tell me why you'd choose one over the other. I'm trying to avoid making the separate trip to see the Big Shot. Both games supposedly play as they should and look similar in cabinet wear. I'm interested in your thoughts as they relate to gameplay. Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

Pro Pool is a add-a-ball and more desirable (and rare if that’s important to you) than Big Shot. You will enjoy the Pro Pool much better.

#3 1 year ago

Carefully watch the accuracy of the bonus count on Hot Shot...it can be hard to dial in. I think Hot Shot is a fun 4 player with simple rules. Casual player seem to enjoy it.

#4 1 year ago

EM multi-player games, as a rule, require resetting features on every ball, due to a lack of memory. Unlike with single player games, there is no ball to ball progressive play (other than total score) as a result.

I much prefer Pro Pool's gameplay (progressive target completion as well as add-a-ball) over its multi-player (and standard replay) cousins - Hot Shot and Big Shot.

Check this out if you haven't already:

#5 1 year ago

I think the difference in ranking is probably influenced by one-player add-a-ball versus multi-player replay.

If you plan to play alone, I think the add-a-ball version would have more longevity.

If you plan to play with others, a two-player game is infinitely more desirable in my opinion, to the point I’m seeking only two-players in my collection.

The slight downside when playing a multi-player by yourself is that winning a replay is not as thrilling as extending your game by one or more balls.

From a resale perspective, I think the art package on Pro Pool is more desirable to collectors. And, Hot Shot/Big Shot seem readily available if you ever decide to change your mind down the road.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from AndrewP:

I think the difference in ranking is probably influenced by one-player add-a-ball versus multi-player replay.
    If you plan to play alone, I think the add-a-ball version would have more longevity.
    If you plan to play with others, a two-player game is infinitely more desirable in my opinion, to the point I’m seeking only two-players in my collection.

Quoting to agree.

Unlike Pro Pool, Hot/Big Shot has an end of ball bonus. Playing the multiplayer version against friends with the bonus and bonus multiplier kicking in on later balls can be great. Better have a good last ball.

But if you play solo more often than not, the Pro Pool is a pretty easy choice in my book.

#7 1 year ago

As AndrewP mentioned, if you’re going to play with other people, I’d much rather have the 2 player Big Shot. I personally don’t prefer one over the other between Add a balls and replay games but lots of people do.

Nothing against single players or 4 player games but I’d prefer it if all my machines were 2 player games. Easier to work on and less cluttered than 4 player games and more fun for competition than single players.

#8 1 year ago

My Big Shot being played a couple weeks ago by 4 less than casual players..stars at 1:04:00. https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1520628614. Game is on location at the Delaware Pinball Collective.

#9 1 year ago

Well, seeing as I usually have to beg my wife or daughters to come down and play, it seems like the Pro Pool is the smarter choice.
    I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

#10 1 year ago

The EM rankings are even more worthless than for the newer games. Like a 2-player version of a title getting a half point higher rating than the 4-player. And if you start scrolling down the Top 100 EM list? Waaaay too many in there where I'm thinking 'You GOTTA be kidding'.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-pool-vs-big-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.