Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Grossie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
045.jpg
046.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm looking at trading my JackBot for an EM plus cash. I've played the multiplayer versions of Pro Pool, and like that layout quite a bit. I've never played Golden Arrow, but get the sense that it's a bit like a Flying Carpet (which I have a good bit of time on,) but with more going on if you're not just going for replays and more interesting scoring; is that a fair assessment?

Which of these two would you have, given the choice? I've got a slight leaning one way, but would appreciate feedback.

#2 3 years ago

Your Assessment of similar game play for GA and FC is correct
at least IMHO.
Pro Pool is much better and fun AAB

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Pro Pool is much better and fun AAB

This!

#4 3 years ago

Golden Arrow because I am not a AAB guy, and it was also on my wishlist once upon a time before I ran out of room.

Ken

#5 3 years ago

I have both, so thankfully do not have to choose between the two because that would be hard. Fortunately for you though they are pretty different. An aab drop target heavy game vs a replay stand up target/spinner game. Without looking at your collection, I'd say pick the one that most compliments (meaning: gives variety to) your collection. Both games give that to me as I am 'replay-drop target' heavy.

#6 3 years ago

I would draw two more cards. If your choice is between these two, I suppose Pro-Pool. I had a Hot Shot and have played a fair amount of Pro-Pool at a friends house and it never got it for me all that much. BUT, it was still a lot better than Golden Arrow IMO.

#7 3 years ago

and lastly, as I'm sure you already know...condition, either before or after you buy is key.

Both my games have been shopped/rebuilt and are fast. I once played a Pro-Pool for sale at MGC. If that had been my first and only experience with ems, I wouldn't be in this hobby now. It looked good but was not 'good'. That said, GA is beautiful and a blast to play. GA is actually getting the most play of my 12 pins now...so..... Which way are you leaning?

#8 3 years ago

I've played both games a lot and each is worthy of owning. Pro Pool would be my definite choice between the two though.

I'm admittedly partial to add-a-ball games, but in this case, the challenge involved with knocking down the drop target banks, landing the eight ball, and then hitting the "WOW" targets on Pro Pool is more fun for me than the rollover and standing targets completion on Golden Arrow.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

and lastly, as I'm sure you already know...condition, either before or after you buy is key.
Both my games have been shopped/rebuilt and are fast. I once played a Pro-Pool for sale at MGC. If that had been my first and only experience with ems, I wouldn't be in this hobby now. It looked good but was not 'good'. That said, GA is beautiful and a blast to play. GA is actually getting the most play of my 12 pins now...so..... Which way are you leaning?

I was leaning towards Pro Pool at first, as I enjoy the multiplayer version. I'm not sure I love the idea of an AAB, though, despite having never put any real time into one.

Golden Arrow seems like it would be enjoyable, but it seems like you can't actually shoot directly for a lot of the playfield, which kinda turns me off to the idea.

To set up either, I would have to fold Apollo or Dixieland (which I really don't want to do because they're relatively new,) or El Dorado (which seems like it would be better than most games to have set up for league.)

I've gone back and forth between the two, and also considered both or neither.

#10 3 years ago

FWIW: I think Pro Pool is much more fun than Big Shot or Hot Shot. Similar to the difference between El Dorado and Target Alpha. Progressive ball play is just more satisfying to me than repetitive 1 ball play.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

or Dixieland (which I really don't want to do

hmm, have you formed an opinion on Dixieland? I have never heard any positive reviews of the game.......

#12 3 years ago

I have a 600l lake malawi cichlid tank. Great alternative to the massive hastle of salt water.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

I have a 600l lake malawi cichlid tank. Great alternative to the massive hastle of salt water.

Good point, very relevant!

Quoted from stashyboy:

hmm, have you formed an opinion on Dixieland? I have never heard any positive reviews of the game.......

I haven't played enough to form a solid opinion yet... I don't think it's a brilliant game, but it's kinda different, and there's a risk/reward element with the clarinet shot. I do like the art on it quite a bit.

Have you heard many negative reviews, or just not many reviews in general?

#14 3 years ago

Pro Pool

#15 3 years ago

Golden Arrow the 10,000 point gong (bell) is just too kool.

#16 3 years ago

I always thought Gottlieb should have made a Replay version Wedgehead of Pro Pool, oh well.

Ken

#17 3 years ago

Pro pool ... love mine!

#18 3 years ago

Ditto, PP. I own 2 and love the game.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Really? I enjoyed the one I had for a short time. It's hard to describe as it doesn't have a ton going on. Somehow though it's just simple fun. Maybe entertaining more than challenging.

#20 3 years ago

My choice is Golden Arrow (here's why)........player can shoot for alternating/moving "SPECIALS" on all stand up targets, rollovers and flipper return lanes once 1 thru 10 sequence is completed.

Scoring and collecting the green bulls eye stand up target with green lens in upper right and left side of playfield for 10,000 isn't easy to do but very rewarding when it happens.

Chasing golden yellow lens arrow indicator scores 10,000 points (when number is lit) and 5,000 points (when number is not lit) or Special (when lit) if a player nails it as it moves around playfield, including flipper return lanes.

The thick larger size spinners(upper playfield) score points and move arrow through number sequence are a nice feature and not on many wedgeheads.

The triple Pop bumper arrangement is close together and a player gets some nice ball action in upper playfield and good point scoring.

Artwork and coloring throughout entire game is bright and very attractive.

Top arch rollover lanes 1,2,3 and 4 aren't easy to make from ball shooter rod and a must for the player to try to master.

#21 3 years ago

Hmmmm... There's no clear answer, it seems.

The girlfriend says Pro Pool looks better to her, so that may be the swing vote I need

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

My choice is Golden Arrow ...

That it is. I'd definitely give the nod to Golden Arrow from an artwork perspective.

On a side note - I did a nearly total playfield repaint and clear on a Golden Arrow for another collector. It came out great and he was happy, but it took FOREVER to complete and I think I ended up making about a dollar an hour.

#23 3 years ago

I have a Pro Pool and love AAB in a home environment. Earning a replay in a home environment is not very exciting to me.

Many will complain that they don't like AAB pins because the games just go on forever. I guess I am not that good of a player because that has not been a problem for me.

Pro Pool is a great pin for guests, very easy rule set to understand.

#24 3 years ago

My choice is Golden Arrow (here's why)........player can shoot for alternating/moving "SPECIALS" on all stand up targets, rollovers and flipper return lanes once 1 thru 10 sequence is completed.
Scoring and collecting the green bulls eye stand up target with green lens in upper right and left side of playfield for 10,000 isn't easy to do but very rewarding when it happens.
Chasing golden yellow lens arrow indicator scores 10,000 points (when number is lit) and 5,000 points (when number is not lit) or Special (when lit) if a player nails it as it moves around playfield, including flipper return lanes.
The thick larger size spinners(upper playfield) score points and move arrow through number sequence are a nice feature and not on many wedgeheads.
The triple Pop bumper arrangement is close together and a player gets some nice ball action in upper playfield and good point scoring.
Top arch rollover lanes 1,2,3 and 4 aren't easy to make from ball shooter rod and a must for the player to try to master.

I forgot to mention that the star rollover moves the golden arrow too.

046.jpg045.JPG

#25 3 years ago

Golden Arrow is a fun game. This demonstrates why I think Pro Pool is more fun:

#26 3 years ago

Are those flippers set a little high? Hard to see, but the whole flow seems much better when my flipper center lines run parallel with both wire guides. Lower drops / flipper trajectory improves. Seems like a lot of owners vary this, but I believe I have it set up right.

image.jpg

#27 3 years ago

So what did you end up getting? My pick is Pro Pool btw

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Are those flippers set a little high? Hard to see, but the whole flow seems much better when my flipper center lines run parallel with both wire guides. Lower drops / flipper trajectory improves. Seems like a lot of owners vary this, but I believe I have it set up right.

image.jpg

Centerline of flipper bat parallel with the wire lane guide is how I set up all of my 3" flipper Gottlieb EM games. Even on WPC games.

The face of the flipper rubber in line with lane guide creates an odd timing to me. Lower than centerline parallel with the lane guide creates a different timing issue.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

image.jpg

I agree that many owners have their own preferred flipper settings.

I have always set my flippers just slightly higher than parallel with the wire guide per the recommendation of a highly respected Gottlieb EM restoration and repair expert here in Seattle who helped me out a lot when I first got into the hobby.

#30 3 years ago

Why was that recommended if I could ask?

Was this an official Gtb recommendation, or did they have one?

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Why was that recommended if I could ask?
Was this an official Gtb recommendation, or did they have one?

I don't think a specific reason was provided at the time that this was pointed out to me - I just went with it given the other collector's knowledge regarding Gottlieb games. Not sure if Gottlieb had an official recommendation either. If they did, I don't recall coming across it.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

So what did you end up getting? My pick is Pro Pool btw

I went with neither... for now.

I may well check out Pro Pool in person, and would likely take it home if I do

#33 3 years ago

I never have had the chance to play pro pool. it looks like a good layout for an AAB game and a good art package too

#34 3 years ago

Hard to go wrong with a pool game.

#35 3 years ago

Campy art too, which may be my favorite pinball genre.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I never have had the chance to play pro pool. it looks like a good layout for an AAB game and a good art package too

It's the easiest to 'beat' of my games (I set a goal to light the 100k) but it plays differently then the rest. It's probably the most 'deliberate' game I have. You are in control for much of the game, and it's almost like a plinking gun game where you are hitting most of your shots if you're good, but 'how long you can keep it up' is the goal. 14 drops you can hit with both flippers, with medium to long range shots. A real sharp shooters game. imo

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

It's the easiest to 'beat' of my games (I set a goal to light the 100k) but it plays differently then the rest. It's probably the most 'deliberate' game I have. You are in control for much of the game, and it's almost like a plinking gun game where you are hitting most of your shots if you're good, but 'how long you can keep it up' is the goal. 14 drops you can hit with both flippers, with medium to long range shots. A real sharp shooters game. imo

that is the problem with MOST AAB games they are to easy -----> "NOT ALL"
I would still like to play a couple dozen games on it to form my own opinion.

#38 3 years ago

Love campy art on a pinball.

#39 3 years ago

Pro pool. That gong on golden arrow is just a 100 bell from EM Gottliebs before chime boxes. If it actually made a GONG noise maybe but Pro Pool has drops and I prefer those type of targets

6 months later
#40 3 years ago

Collin, I'm glad you passed on the Golden Arrow. It's in my basement now.
I'll bet you could still pick up that Pro Pool, if you are still interested...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelburne Falls, MA
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 149.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 254.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside