Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spida1a
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

What are the best versions, Pro or Premium/LE?

For me:

Pro > Premium
Aerosmith
GOT
MET
TWD

Premium/LE > Pro
Ghostbusters
AC/DC
Star Trek
X-men
Tron

Pro=Premium/LE
LOTR
Mustang
WWE
Rolling Stones

#2 6 years ago

I mainly agree with you. GB pro, Xmen pro, and WWE Le are ones i think play better then what you listed. WWE LE hands down is way better then Pro, GB pro is a faster game that just feels better, and Xmen LE that stupid moving iceman ramp makes me like the Pro more.

#3 6 years ago

Premium is better than Pro on Aerosmith, GOT, MET and TWD.
Tron and Star Trek are equal in gameplay IMO - the bling is nicer on the Premiums/LE though

#4 6 years ago

The upper playfields on Aerosmith LE and GOT LE are weak.

I agree, the XMen LE moving ramp is pretty bad. Maybe should change XMen to the Pro-is-best category. I also dislike the crossbow on TWD LE, and I don't like the big hammer on MET LE.

#5 6 years ago

I have to disagree. With AC/DC you want the premium because of the ball diversion through the bell. completely changes the way to work the bell.

for MET, that fucking hammer is a big piece of shit, and they can shove it up their ass. so i'd go pro all the way.

with GOT, I don't like the upper playfield as much as I wanted to. but the pro version is empty and cheap feeling/looking.

#6 6 years ago

It looks like we only disagree on GOT. I own the LE, and wish I had gone with Pro.

#7 6 years ago

And I only put WWE in the Pro=Premium category because they're both terrible.

#8 6 years ago

I agree with you on Met pro and TWD pro both better than premium and prefer STLE/premium mainly due to the fantastic light shows, AcDc also premium better than pro.

I haven't played GOT pro but I am sure thats better than the premium (upper PF is not good)

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The upper playfields on Aerosmith LE and GOT LE are weak.

I really like both upper playfields - both are designed very well - better than most actually. But GOT needs some rule tweaks for it IMO.

#10 6 years ago

MET is a tough call. The Hammer is bad, but the spinners sure are nice.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

both are designed very well - better than most actually.

Not a huge fan of the real estate the GOT upper PF, but agreed it's done very well

Quoted from Russell:

Lot of MEt premium is really cool...but that hammer is horrendous.

#12 6 years ago

For me:
Pro > Premium
Aerosmith
MET
GB
ST

Premium/LE > Pro
AC/DC
X-men
Tron
Kiss
GOT

Pro=Premium/LE
TWD

No version > Pro/Premium/LE
WWE
BM66

#13 6 years ago

What makes one better over the other or are you just looking at cost vs what is on the game?

For example - If cost was the same I don't see how anyone could argue MET Pro is a better playing game than MET Prem. More to this example. The only two real game play differences are the Snake and Hammer both of which on the Prem can be set up to work just like a pro if you so desire. But with the prem you aren't guessing what the lane inserts are trying to tell you (RGB vs just red) which can make a real impact to gameplay. Plus you get real integrated spinners on the Prem. You can diffidently argue the cost vs value between the two but that begs the question on what the definition of better is in this example.

#14 6 years ago

In my example, I was just taking into account the overall fun of gameplay. Not considering cost, value, etc.

For MET, I think the Hammer obstructs the view in the center, but that's really the only downside of the Premium/LE. I guess I would change my initial opinion about MET to the Premium>Pro, but it's a close call for me.

#15 6 years ago

Love the Metallica Premium.....didn't care for the Pro version....

#16 6 years ago

For me (games that I have enough familiarity with...)

Pro > Premium

Premium/LE > Pro
TWD
AC/DC
Mustang
MET
GOT

Pro=Premium/LE
Star Trek
LOTR
Tron (depending on mods)
Ghostbusters

#17 6 years ago

I completely agree with Russell's original post. Although, I'm quite upset [busting keys as I type] that he omitted Kiss

Kiss Pro > Kiss Premium/LE (but heavy bias here)

#18 6 years ago

I forgot Kiss and BM66.

I would put both of them in the Pro=Premium category, mostly out of ambivalence. I do like the toppers on both of those, though.

#19 6 years ago

Premium all the way on Metallica- yes the hammer is lame, but the rest of the game makes up for it especially the color changing LED's. I don't think enough people have put time on the premium to fully appreciate it.

the rest of the list is good - i'd go with ST pro= to premium and TWD Pro> premium but im splitting hairs on these two games.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I forgot Kiss and BM66.
I would put both of them in the Pro=Premium category, mostly out of ambivalence. I do like the toppers on both of those, though.

I've had serious thoughts about adding the Kiss topper to my Pro, but I haven't been able to justify the cost yet.

#21 6 years ago

I'm not a serious KISS fan, but that topper is pretty amazing.

#22 6 years ago

All pro except

AC/DC
Walking Dead (what can I say I like the walker bombs. Worth $1000?)
Tron (LE is cooler)

#23 6 years ago

I think Ghostbusters is also a close call. I have the Pro and love it, but that Premium main ramp is quite spectacular. The right ramp is also much better on Premium. Don't care about the Ecto goggles or the Magna-slings, but the ramps...

#24 6 years ago

The only games that I'd go out of my way to get a Prem/Le model are ACDC and TWD. ACDC because of the improved bell and color changers and TWD because of the Walker bombs and spinners primarily. Met is the only other one I'd consider just because the Pro model is missing the spinners which make the orbit shots feel naked.

On every other Stern game though I'd go Pro without hesitation. There are actually a few games like GOT, GB, Transformers, and X-Men where the Pro is the better playing game.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

RGB inserts are good!
Spinners (now with a bonus scoring rule) are great!
Colored GI is great
Upgraded Snake assembly (I really like the premium snake) is great!
Physical Ball lock (I dislike virtual locks) is great!

Rob

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All pro except
AC/DC
Walking Dead (what can I say I like the walker bombs. Worth $1000?)
Tron (LE is cooler)

What about the hauntingly red GI effects during Horde(?). That is way cool..

Rob

#27 6 years ago

I am convinced that I need to update my list...also moved a few to the doesn't-matter category since differences are just visual, not game play.

Pro > Premium
Aerosmith
GOT
TWD
X-Men

Premium > Pro
AC/DC
MET
Ghostbusters

Pro = Premium/LE
LOTR
Mustang
WWE
Rolling Stones
Kiss
BM66
Star Trek
Tron

#28 6 years ago

I have to admit that I really like the Aerosmith mini-playfield. I played it A LOT on a Premium at the Ohio Pinball show and got a really great feel for it. It reminds me of the "Whitewater" field a bit where it doesn't spend a TON of time up there and is more of a conduit with multiple paths for the ball depending on where you want to send it (not to mention the extra doubling of the playfield and scoring opportunities).

What that said, however, I purchased the PRO for my collection. Why!? Because for me personally, the mini-playfield was the ONLY thing that offered any additional personal value onto the game for me. The difference in color, limited edition stuff, extra lights, drop target, etc. did not add any additional value for me. So weighing all of the options (and that I LOVE the elevator mold and the "kerchunk" feel you get when you shoot it on the PRO), the mini-playfield was not worth $2k more on top of the PRO.

With that said, let's face it, this is a very personal topic. One person might LOVE the fact that the AERO LE has purple trim and is "numbered" and signed and has a drop target and apron lights (things that, for me, don't mean as much). Therefore they would have more of a personal value attached to the additions ... and that would justify them spending the money on it.

Weigh and balance all of the pros and cons and go with your gut if you have the financial means to do so.

IMHO, you 'aint wrong no matter which way you go!

(unless the cabinet falls apart that is)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-or-premiumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.