(Topic ID: 299112)

Printing ramp decals - Best materials?

By Kevin_LHeureux

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I've been designing a new ramp decal for a pin mod and wanted to see if anyone can recommend a good translucent substrate to print my artwork onto. I have a roll of decal transfer tape I can use if the substrate is not adhesive backed.

I do have decal printer paper but I'd like to go higher quality for this since its under a clear ramp.

Likewise I'd be happy to farm it out but only really need one or two made.

Thanks for the input.

#2 2 years ago

@starship_fantasy
    Freeplay40
    JodyG

All three of these Pinsiders make ramps, so maybe they can make some suggestions.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

@starship_fantasy
    Freeplay40
    JodyG
    All three of these Pinsiders make ramps, so maybe they can make some suggestions.

I'm out on this...I don't touch decals. But a commercial printing shop should be able to help you out.

#4 2 years ago

I’m sure that the custom pin builds have been documented here on Pinside. You might want to post in the Restoration forum, maybe the restoration question subforum.

Zitt Any suggestions where he can post his question?

#5 2 years ago

Mr_Tantrum on here makes some cool stuff. Not sure if he's made any underside ramp decals though. Can't hurt to ask.

#6 2 years ago

I would recommend farming it out, the added bonus is that you can print white. I've had good results from both vistaprint and signs.com. If your mounting them under the ramp choose inside-glass as the print surface. Vistaprints 3m material is much nicer to work with but you are limited to their specific sizes. The downside of the 3m material is they have micro air release channels, which makes getting small air bubbles out easy, but leaves anything more than 1/4 inch behind the clear part of the decal looking frosted. If you want optical clarity beyond the ramp I would go with the signs.com decals.

https://www.vistaprint.com/signs-posters/car-window-decals?xnid=TopNav_Car+Window+Decals_Car+Signs_Signage+and+Trade+Show+Displays&xnav=TopNav
    https://www.signs.com/clear-window-decals/

#7 2 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll likely go with an online or local manufacturer as suggested rather than a DIY as suggested.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/printing-ramp-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.