Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by arpman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have read posts in the past about people getting playfields printed on vinyl and applying them to an old playfield that has been sanded. There is a webpage showing the process on a space shuttle (i think). Anyone know of a good resource to get the printing done? I remember there was someone on the forums offering to do it for a decent price but I haven't been able to get anywhere with that in the past.

I am curious to hear from anyone else that has done this. How did you go about making a template on the computer in order to size/place your artwork properly? I read about people taking about flatbed scanners to scan playfields.

I think it would be awesome to be able to overlay blown out playfields or make your own custom playfield art on the computer and print it out.

#2 8 years ago

You need to scan your playfield.

You can buy a used HP4600 scanner, or find your local Cruise Scanner and have a print shop scan it.

Design all your artwork.

Then have your local sign shop print it on permanent adhesive vinyl using outdoor dye.

Clearcoat your playfield and get it completely flat and smooth before application.

#3 8 years ago

Ed Cheung has some great information here:
    http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/ss_pf.htm

It's been a while since I read that, but if I recall correctly, pay attention to the details on white and clear areas.

#4 8 years ago

There is a thread regarding an EATPM restoration right now doing the same thing. Kinda neat.

#5 8 years ago

I'm trying to do this but have hit a major road block with the printing - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-de-pf

The problem I am finding is that nearly nobody can print in white from what it seems. You wouldn't think that would be an issue but since you need to have your inserts clear this means you either have to do 2 layers (one white and one color) or you have to paint the white as a base and then put the color layer over it. The painting wouldn't be to bad but trying to mask it off around lettering seems like a major PITA and something that would never come out right. I was told I could have the file printed on white and then I could cut out the spots I don't want but then I'd have rough spots all over the PF not to mention trying to cut things out (lettering again) would be nearly impossible.

If someone can print these things on clear and print the white and color files on the same layer please let me know. I want to get my overlay printed

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'm trying to do this but have hit a major road block with the printing - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-de-pf
    The problem I am finding is that nearly nobody can print in white from what it seems. You wouldn't think that would be an issue but since you need to have your inserts clear this means you either have to do 2 layers (one white and one color) or you have to paint the white as a base and then put the color layer over it. The painting wouldn't be to bad but trying to mask it off around lettering seems like a major PITA and something that would never come out right. I was told I could have the file printed on white and then I could cut out the spots I don't want but then I'd have rough spots all over the PF not to mention trying to cut things out (lettering again) would be nearly impossible.
    If someone can print these things on clear and print the white and color files on the same layer please let me know. I want to get my overlay printed

I have found a business nearby that has this machine:
    http://www.speedscreen.net/services/durst-800/

I have a trashed BOP playfield that I ll try to restore that way.

#7 8 years ago

That speedscreen.net link is freaking amazing. Gona look for someone local that has that!

#8 8 years ago

Okay, that's friggin' awesome. How did you find who near you had it? Call up random print shops? Or worse, put out a Cl ad?

#10 8 years ago

There is a place in NJ that can print directly onto a Playfield . Basically, you would sand the Playfield down and paint it white. The machine will print the artwork directly onto the playfield. The white areas are already white. Once done, you can clear coat the PF. I thought of doing this for a re-theme on an EM.

#11 8 years ago

Yeah, I've found a handful of people that do that. It's the white layer that will be a PITA to get right and have things line up. Sure wish there were more places that could print white. Seems like that would be normal for a print shop as people buy things to go on windows that are clear.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, that's friggin' awesome. How did you find who near you had it? Call up random print shops? Or worse, put out a Cl ad?

I was bugging a guy in scan shop who scanned some backglasses/translites on a Cruse scanner for me. He told me about the business that can print white color. He sends his customers there to to print texturized replicas of paintings which he scans. They also have the machines for printing translites, but at the moment I do not have any machine model data.

6 months later
    #13 8 years ago

There is a place in PA that has a UV printer can support direct to playfield printing (all colors).

http://mercersburg.net/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/printed-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.