6F320416-647E-40B2-8D26-CB9E6F5EC7B1 (resized).jpeg
87AC1154-26BC-41CD-8C57-8401CF861B92 (resized).jpeg
DSCN2029 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20200110-071603_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_8689 (resized).JPG
true.gif
20190110_082616 (resized).jpg
20181106_104900 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

FIRST game out of box. Nice job!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like Stern's supplier sent a bad batch of flippers.

It will be a Pinside Holocaust.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Stern overnighting some “improved” versions

I'd guess that the welding machine ran out of either Argon or CO2 and produced a run of worthless joints.

...or the gas company filled the canisters with the wrong gas; that can be bad when they are supposed to be O2, instead are filled with Nitrogen, and a bunch of people die at the hospital.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/09/us/oxygen-and-nitrogen-mix-up-is-suspected-in-three-deaths.html

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Because the pinball community needs to know about this fucking bullshit!!

Any manufacturer can get a bad batch of parts from one of their suppliers.

If any of you guys have ever bought a new $80,000 BMW, you know that a ton of stuff gets recalled. The airbags are killing people and have to be replaced, the car catches fire or stalls for no reason.

If you've ever had an older Galaxy Phone, you know the batteries could catch fire, and got recalled.

If you bought a Cuisinart food processor in the last few years, you know that the blades were putting chips of steel into your food, and all got recalled.

Recalls can happen with any company, even those much larger than tiny Stern.

Relax.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from tp:

So your saying relax cuz stern is gonna recall all the broken machines like the examples you gave above. My confidence is soaring now.

Exactly.

You call Sterns 800 number, you tell them that you got the bad flippers.

Stern sends you a replacement pair; right to your door.

Without even making a trip to the dealership, you have your game fixed with 5 minutes & your socket wrench.

Don't let tiny setbacks upset you.

"If it ain't broke, it ain't Pinball"- Jersey Jack

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

I find it hard to believe Stern did any_ individual QC on these; for the number (out of a small total) reported here that had broken flippers within the first few plays, certainly any_ reasonably rigorous QC protocol would have discovered this "bad batch of parts" before they left the factory.

Stern has been buying those same flippers, from the same IL company, for years.

No one is going to do any individual testing on a $1 part; not Stern, not the company that made them.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

If I was Primus and I had commissioned these, I would be upset and probably never do it again with that company.

It's for the best that you could not buy a Primus.

Make sure you buy all your games from a local distributor.

They will set up and test your game before they deliver it to you.

If a plastic post cracks, or a flipper breaks, they will replace it before delivery....you'll never even know about the tragedy .

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Doing so, they'd have found this problem before any_ of the "bad batch" were shipped, wouldn't they?

I've been to Stern, at the old and new factories.

They do flip every game, and test every switch before boxing.

But welds made without the proper shielding gas are brittle. Maybe they will break in the first 20 hits, maybe they will break in the first 500. Maybe they had 49 hits at Stern, and then the dealer's 50th flip was the straw that broke the camel's back?

It's a disposable part, and Stern is replacing them for free.

Wait till you guys find out that a steel ball is harder than a piece of painted plywood - you ain't gonna be happy.....

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't know, seems like it would make sense to play the hell out of one of them (not going to customers) to check for any bad parts, before going and making them all.

I'm sure the flipper supplier found the gas problem in a few hours and it's back to normal.

People make mistakes running machinery and don't even know it.

You get 1100 flippers in a box (maybe even more on the 2" ones). If 90 are bad due to poor welds, it's not like you can visually find the problem ones. Maybe Stern already replaced a bunch that broke after a single flip in testing.

Quoted from Zablon:

The whole "i've been in this for decades and it is just how it is" doesn't cut it when you are dealing with people who aren't pinheads who just dropped 8k on a toy.

You said the magic phrase, it's a toy.

It's not a child car seat, it's not an airbag, it's not a heart monitor.

It's a toy for rich people.

If you are not a pinhead, you call the 800 number, and Stern sends you a new set of flippers - same as anyone else

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Stern is not who I want making my boutique contract pinball machine if I want it for HUO, because Stern will not care about these machines like they care about a run of Pros off their line for themselves.

Child car seats get recalled, and they are made by companies who love and care about children.

Car seats are one of the most tested and regulated products in the world, yet things still go wrong.

Pinball machines have about 9,000 more parts than a car seat.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

@vid1900, I get that, but nobody is expecting a pinball machine to save their childs life either... so the outrage is somewhat different, don’t you think?

Exactly.

That's that problem with sad people.

They are OUTRAGED that a piece of plastic/metal on a toy broke.

Even worse, it's people who did not even buy the toy that are outraged, lol

It's a toy.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Them's fightin' words.

It's a toy made of plastic, and wood.

Who would have thought that in 2019 they'd still be making painted wooden toys?

(And adults would fight like toddlers over them?)

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The best we can do is complain and hope things get better or just not buy.

Exactly.

Just don't buy them, and don't get involved in threads about things you did not buy.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

g
Its a £10,000 toy, the top end of the toy bracket and despite saying they do- they haven't even tested it, that's why people are outraged.

That's what I'm saying.

If you can become outraged over a TOY, don't buy it.

You don't need the headache.

Every moving part of a pinball machine is going to break, maybe the day you get it, maybe years from now.

If you heart cant take it, don't buy it.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't agree with this at all. You are basically dismissing anyone who is concerned about quality.

It's a disposable part.

The same company in IL has been making those same flippers, with the same specs, for over 60 years.

If you concerned about "quality", you are going to have to face the fact that EVERY product will have some defective units reach the public.

No amount of testing can catch every defect.

Sorry.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

stern did replace my entire GB playfield...

Yep, and JJP replaced a ton of playfields, and gave other owners stickers to cover the damage.

As long as the manufacturer stands behind it's products, real men can handle normal production defects without outrage.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:If you ordered a BMW and it was delivered with a scratch on the hood, I’m sure you’d want it replaced or repainted.

That's the benefit of buying from a local dealer, rather than mail-order.

Your local distro would have seen the "angel wing" problem, and polished it out before delivering it to you.

You would have never even known it happened.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Nice to know you've now become an expert on what a real man is.

I've been on my own since I left the motherland at 15.

So yeah, I might know a thing or two about being a real man.

Quoted from tp:

I bet the ladies are beating down your door asking for advice.

Usually I'm the one banging at the backdoor, but you can imagine your fantasies about me in any way that pleases you.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Vid, I love ya, but you’re wrong again! I think it’s 9002....

Uggggg! I missed the 2 screws in the back vent panel.

I'm outraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#174 5 years ago

It can take years for every insert light to get coded in....us Stern owners know that, lol

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Absolutely, so they installed flashers but no software to actually utilize them??? You've got to be kidding me, I'd like to see the shills defend this one...

So you got free flashers, and you guys are complaining???

Did you ever take your Moto cell phone apart and notice that there are "notification" LEDs inside, that are never used in the software? "Rooting" your phone is the only way to assign and utilize them.

Did you ever look at your Ford engine and notice that there is a NOS port and wiring harness, even though Ford does not offer an NOS package for your car?

Did you ever press the sound test button on your Bally Vector pin and hear all the voice samples that were never programmed into gameplay?

Did you ever hack your Arcade1Up, and find that the full Atari Breakout is programmed into the gamecode, but no menu to access it?

Cry, Cry, Cry all the way home

1 week later
#238 5 years ago

The backbox flashers are flashing!!!!

My life is now complete

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/primus-pinball-woes-sadness-disappointment?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.