Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dantebean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SofaKing12-4-2012-2.jpg
    sales.jpg
    PPP.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider houseofpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Never assume that you'll get your value back on any mods/upgrades that you install, just look at the custom car market. Just because you like it, doesn't guarantee someone will pay for it. I wouldn't pay extra for LED's or power coated legs and rails.
    Steve

You are 500% correct. When people put a thousand or more into their pin on mods/upgrades they shouldn't expect to get it back no different then when you put a nice built in pool in your backyard.....or putting expensive rims, TV's, etc on your conversion van. Ever try selling a conversion van. I bought one many years ago that was beautiful (we used it for many Disney trips). The original price was like $70K and 5 years later I got it for $13K.....I sold it about 6-7 years later for $4K after having many fun years with it. You normally get killed on "extras" regardless what you buy (even a new home....sure you will recoup some of your money but rarely 100% and many times much less).

The best thing to do if someone can't "handle the heat of posting in a forum" is to just post in MARKETPLACE or don't post on pinside at all. It has taken me 9 people looking and coming to my house (as my I500 just went on Friday) to buy 8 pins just using CL. Trust me, the local pinsiders look on CL and I would say 4 pins sold were to pinsiders and 4 to non-pinsiders so posting on CL gives you a "bigger market" in my opinion. Plus, I only want local sales so someone can view the pin and I don't want to mess with shipping. My I500 just sold yesterday for $2,750 without any problems at all so my suggestion is to use CL or EBAY if you don't like the heat or price it to sell (EA BUNDY never gets any heat as well as many sellers on here that price their games very fairly). Others that want top dollar normally just post in Marketplace.

Bottomline......we all have choices. You don't want any negative price comments don't use the forum environment or learn to deal with it.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I used to mod VWs, you never got your mod money back out when you sold it, unless you maybe parted it out. Even then you wouldn't break even.

Exactly and when most people do this it is a "passion of love" for the hobby. Most people would tell you they don't expect to get their money back. I bought a Harley Davidson Themed SUV Tahoe or my son (his first vehicle) that came in 2nd in a local car show. The guy had to sell it because his wife wanted him to move on a home (just had a baby) so he had receipts for $20K in extras....plus the price he paid for the Tahoe ($10K) so he had $30K in it. He kept it and worked on it for 2 years....he tried to sell it for $15K and then $12K with no luck (problem was people wanted to get a loan and the bank uses book value of the vehicle not including options). I offered him $10,500 and he took it and my son got his truck (lifted, really neat looking a 17 year olds "dream"). The guy lost $19,500 and totally understood he was going to take a bath if he ever sold it. PLUS, he put in over 100 hours of his time as well !!!! He told me it was something he always wanted to do and unfortunately he wanted to keep it for many years (however, a happy wife is a happy life and he knew if his wife didn't get the house he would be in BIG TROUBLE....he never told her how much money he lost on the SUV either....LOL).

I have said this many times "pinball is a VERY cheap hobby"....PERIOD. Truly, if there is a cheaper hobby I have never seen one (most people that buy smart basically play for free when they go to sell....assuming they don't load it up with mods and extras or buy NIB and sell in a year or two (well for most titles....TRON LE, BIBLE and a few others have been exceptions)). Anyone that golfs, boats, or goes to a lot of sporting events can tell you how truly cheap pinball as a hobby really is......try horseback riding as well (that adds up quickly especially if you own the horse.....my sister did this for years and it blew my mind the money she spent on gear, vet, storage of the horse, food, etc.).

#55 10 years ago

OP should have quit while he was ahead and never started this thread.......if you price things right on CL you only need to POST ONCE.....I normally only have to post once and never had to post any pin more then twice ever. I just let the ad sit out there and if it is priced right it will sell....eventually people find it and most times the first day....however, sometimes it takes longer so there is no reason to post a new CL ad every day. It makes the person look desperate !!! Personally, when I see someone doing that on CL I know that eventually I will probably make a run at the pin when I feel they are frustrated from posting it every day for a week or more. The best deals I have gotten is people that priced way high as it kept the local flippers from even wasting their time trying to talk them down. When they are priced too low they are always gone way before I even get a chance to contact them (I believe some of the local flippers must have APPS on their phones that notify them !!!).

OP you just caused yourself more problems then you had before and should have left well enough alone....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider houseofpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pricing-police-take-a-rest-a-for-few-minutes?tu=houseofpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.